PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

Paivi
29-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Joined some time ago in preparation of getting a 620. Instead, today I picked up a 695 at Daytona. Slightly ambitious for a learner, but fortune favours the brave!

STIVH
29-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Welcome and Good Luck................Lifes there to be enjoyed.

eonan
30-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Joined some time ago in preparation of getting a 620. Instead, today I picked up a 695 at Daytona. Slightly ambitious for a learner, but fortune favours the brave!

Hi mate...welcome. We like pictures here...come on, come on, gives a look then :biggrin:

Paivi
30-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Tried to attach a pic, but it's 880kb and the max allowed is about 30kb? Don't understand why my pic is so big or the limit so low, as dont' know what these things mean. How does one resize photos (I don't have any MS applications, and Adobe seems to be popping up every time I download photos from my camera)?

Scotty
30-04-2006, 09:42 AM
http://www.imageresizer.com/

but 30 k is very small , its been a regular moan since something happened somewhere but i had nowt to do with it

you would be best resizeing to a bit smaller ( i currently favour 800x600) and useing

http://www.photobucket.com/

to host the file and then just link to it

Paivi
30-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Just can't resize it to that small; so far have only one pic which can be seen here:

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1142

Mine's the one on the right, next to a friend's 620. Spot the difference!

Pugi
30-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow...brand spanking new. She's lovely. :hail:
Oh...and welcome of course!

Jane
30-04-2006, 11:16 PM
You lucky so and so getting the 695! We had already ordered my 620 when we heard about the new one, but when we went back to the dealer to ask if I could have one of those instead, we were told they hadn't even started making them yet so stuck with the 620. Welcome to the club, and have fun!

Monkey Boy
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Lovely bike and welcome to the club, mate.

Paivi
01-05-2006, 11:23 AM
You lucky so and so getting the 695! We had already ordered my 620 when we heard about the new one, but when we went back to the dealer to ask if I could have one of those instead, we were told they hadn't even started making them yet so stuck with the 620. Welcome to the club, and have fun!
It was a bit like the Spanish Inquisition, wasn't it? I'd been looking at getting the 620 and all of a sudden, a friend of mine calls me full of excitement to say that the 695 is out. Top marks to Daytona, Ruislip for reserving it for me over the phone for over a week with no guarantee of purchase (no deposit either), when they could have sold it several times over, it being the only 695 they got. I have to say it does look a lot smarter than the 620, so I'm glad I didn't buy it earlier!

I find that it's a bit too tall for me, being just a wee female. I did ask for the seat to be lowered as much as they could, but I'm not sure if this is the case. I'll need to get my other Monster riding friend to have a look for me. It's just a bit too heavy if it starts to lean and I only have my toes to keep it steady.

tamtbam@hotmail
01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
It was a bit like the Spanish Inquisition, wasn't it? I'd been looking at getting the 620 and all of a sudden, a friend of mine calls me full of excitement to say that the 695 is out. Top marks to Daytona, Ruislip for reserving it for me over the phone for over a week with no guarantee of purchase (no deposit either), when they could have sold it several times over, it being the only 695 they got. I have to say it does look a lot smarter than the 620, so I'm glad I didn't buy it earlier!

I find that it's a bit too tall for me, being just a wee female. I did ask for the seat to be lowered as much as they could, but I'm not sure if this is the case. I'll need to get my other Monster riding friend to have a look for me. It's just a bit too heavy if it starts to lean and I only have my toes to keep it steady.

It looks gorgous Paivi.
You'll have to give us a write up on it as i fancy one meself.
Welcome to the site by the way.
Tam.

slob
01-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Congrats. I think that might be the first one in the club.
It's Italian day at the Ace Cafe this Sunday and Italian night the Thursday after, why not take a run up.

Chappers
01-05-2006, 05:21 PM
Nice one, I fell in love with the gloss black one with red frame at Ducati Coventry on Saturday and am contemplating making a purchase this week but need to check on the old finances first.

Did you manage to get a good deal on her? The one I want is up for £4995 but have been promised a better price due to being a UKMOC member, first service free and possibly extra warranty.

Chappers
01-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Here she is!

MilesB
02-05-2006, 07:55 PM
What part of London are you in? Most of the surrounding couties have groups and arrange ride-outs... which is just as well - as the idea of a ride-out through London is :toilet:

Welcome by the way - we'll make you welcome down Kent way.

Miles

Paivi
02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
Congrats. I think that might be the first one in the club.
It's Italian day at the Ace Cafe this Sunday and Italian night the Thursday after, why not take a run up.
Not only, but apparently the first on the road in the UK!

No deal whatsoever, as they had reserved it for me for 10d before I came to test ride and buy it, with not even a deposit. They knew I wanted the bike, and they could have sold it ten times had I not reserved it. So, I paid the full £4,995 and the only thing they did say they'd do was to charge just £70 for the crash bungs and the fly screen (crash bungs retail at £70). They could have done the Datatool 4 for £350 but as a mate of mine fits them for a living and is offering to do it at £280, I didn't take them up on that offer.

I'm in downtown London, in Chelsea. Quite a few Ducatis here, including a friend of mine on his 620. I'm worried that one day I go to the bike and he's substituted his for mine, thinking I wouldn't notice.

It's my first Ducati and first big bike, so can't really do a write-up as have nothing to compare it to but I'll get this 620-riding mate to try it for size and see what he thinks. He loves the looks and was the one to convince me to go for the 695 instead of the 620 because everything would have been improved. One thing I will say: I'm supposed to take each gear up to 6,000 revs, and the only way I can get this on second gear is to take her up to 60mph. I've yet to try the fifth gear, just hasn't been necessary even on 70mph. All of Central London is strictly first or second, what joy!

I'll see you guys at the Ace on Sunday. Look out for the two Monsters huddled together. Mine answers to the name 'Duchess' by the way, or 'Your Grace'. ;)

A couple of my mates are IAM observers so am getting some training from them. Give it a couple of months and I'll be brave enough to head out of London on my own, especially once I get a TomTom. (Since I moved to the UK in 1992, I've hardly left London, so am a bit lost even in the wilderness of Bucks.

A pic taken yesterday at the Ace. Spot the damage I did by dropping it...:cry:

http://londonbikers.com/forums/attachments/Ducati1.jpg

Tigerlily
02-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Hi Paivi,

Welcome to the UKMOC! :biggrin:

The bike looks absolutely gorgeous! Roll on some warm sunny days.

MilesB
03-05-2006, 07:42 AM
A pic taken yesterday at the Ace. Spot the damage I did by dropping it...:cry:
Handlebar end weight ?
Looks sweet by the way - love the red frame.
Chelsea... which means it lives 'on-road'? I'd HATE to see your insurance premium :eyepopping: :cry: Nice place to live, but a bugger to get to anywhere else.

Lady-Bob
03-05-2006, 09:22 AM
I'll see you guys at the Ace on Sunday. Look out for the two Monsters huddled together. Mine answers to the name 'Duchess' by the way, or 'Your Grace'. ;)

You'll notice the Kent Lot... we got the t-shirt wiv our logo on it!! :biggrin: If you see us... introduce yourself.

P.S mine answers to ..... "s@ddin' disc brake... damn that's a ANOTHER new lever to buy .... you b itch! :banghead: "

:tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe:

Bodybag
03-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the club.

If the bike's a bit high for you, Ducati do a lowered seat for the Monster. I don't know how much they are but the part number is 59520204C. It's 20mm lower. Give your dealer a ring and they should be able to let you know how much they are.

Hope this helps and see you at the Ace on Sunday.

mine answers to ..... "s@ddin' disc brake... damn that's a ANOTHER new lever to buy .... you b itch! :banghead: "

:tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe:

Bob, glad I missed you trying to outdo Chris' endo in the car park on Monday. Hope there wasn't any damage to your or your monnie?

Phil

Paivi
03-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Handlebar end weight ?
Looks sweet by the way - love the red frame.
Chelsea... which means it lives 'on-road'? I'd HATE to see your insurance premium :eyepopping: :cry: Nice place to live, but a bugger to get to anywhere else.
Yep, bar end and brake lever. Bar ends I can get done for about a fiver, the brake lever's a bit more, so that'll wait, as I just spent a huge amount on security & TomTom.

Insurance premium for parking on the street, £202 fully comp, unlimited milage .:biggrin: Something to do with my age, sex, chain, alarm, a mob hitman sitting on Her Grace at all time... (OK, so I lied about the mob hitman, he gets called in once the alarm goes off...)

MilesB
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
£202 fully comp :eek: - WOW that's amazing.

Pugi
03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
Insurance premium for parking on the street, £202 fully comp, unlimited milage . Something to do with my age, sex, chain, alarm, a mob hitman sitting on Her Grace at all time... (OK, so I lied about the mob hitman, he gets called in once the alarm goes off...)

Huh!? I hate my premium...
Are you by any chance a retired and very old dominatrix woman, with all the chains and locks in the world? Us 'young' blokes get ripped off - paying 50% more than that on a 9 y/o garaged bike for TPFT...and I'm not in London.

Paivi
03-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Huh!? I hate my premium...
Are you by any chance a retired and very old dominatrix woman?

:eek: Do we know each other? ;)

30-odd female, full mc licence for 18 years, Almax Immobiliser III, Datatool 4, insured through Ebike. Sometimes it's good to be a woman! :biggrin:

Pugi
03-05-2006, 03:45 PM
:eek: Do we know each other? ;)

30-odd female, full mc licence for 18 years, Almax Immobiliser III, Datatool 4, insured through Ebike. Sometimes it's good to be a woman! :biggrin:

Guess the 18 years make a difference. I only have a veto evo, but have been told I don't need more security for cheaper quote. These Ebike people seem to be popular, I can see why. Will give them a try in July when I'm up for renewal. The sexual discrimination i can't do anything about though.

Jane
03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I can commiserate with you on the damage, I dropped my 620 weekend before last on the gravel track at a rally, now need new bar end and brake lever too! Upside is my other half has sorted a lowering kit for me, to be fitted as soon as poss, but preferably before the BMF show.
My insurance is about £120 fully comp, so there is definitely something to be said for being a thirty something woman!

gary tompkins
03-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the club Paivi & congrats on blagging the new 695.

Unusual name too :cool:

stuartg
04-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Nice !!!
Welcome to the club
I look forward to seeing your bike at the Ace on Sunday

marchesini
04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Welcome to the club Paivi & congrats on blagging the new 695.

Unusual name too :cool:

Welcome Paivi and taking a wild stab in the dark, I would guess you are Finnish - the country where everything sounds unnusual. I know a lot of Paivi's along with kiti, anu, marja, birit, ritva and lots of minna's. Lots of unusual names but they don't half know how to drink :booze: .... especially on Mayday!!

Laters

simon

Paivi
05-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Well done, Simon! Here, have a cookie! I am, indeed, Finnish and have been in the UK way too long: I now consider anything above 15C warm and if it's not raining, it's positively a nice day! And, sadly, I can't drink, as I ride every day.

I'll be at the Ace with my 695 and a friend of mine on his 620, both red (I hear it's the fastest colour...:biggrin: ) He's shy and retiring, so will be looking for a parking place somewhere near the tube station, but if I get there first, I'll try to lead him into the normal park.

I'm visiting Dave Robinson (?) in Wandsworth on Saturday, who can hopefully fit some R&G bar ends, as well as a new brake lever. Will also want side impact bars, and a roof in case it rains, and another two wheels for balance. Basically, I'm a Volvo driver in a Ducati rider disguise... :chuckle:

MilesB
05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I am, indeed, Finnish and have been in the UK way too long: I now consider anything above 15C warm and if it's not raining, it's positively a nice day! And, sadly, I can't drink, as I ride every day.
Pugi will be your neighbour then... he's from Sweden :dizzy:

Pugi
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Pugi will be your neighbour then... he's from Sweden :dizzy:

Kyllä! Moi Paivi!
Talar du svenska?

Paivi
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Not really, spent 10 long years studying it, but don't speak it at all. Doubt you'd be able to understand it anyway, as it's the finlandssvenska, and mine would be sibbosvenska in any case, which is incomprehensible (basically, wind the clock back 400 years and the language might make more sense).

But that's neither here nor there, as you speak Finnish! Wahey!

Pugi
05-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Finlandssvenska is easy enough to understand..not sure about sibbosvenska though. Is it close to the swedish they still speak in Estonia since they were ruled by the swedes 400 years ago? Might give me a lesson at the Ace?

No..I don't speak finnish. It's just the basic phrases that are easy enough, the rest of the language is one of the worlds most difficult along with hungarian.