PDA

View Full Version : A bit about me & my new 750

yellownev
29-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi,

Greetings from Derby from a new owner (well next Sat anyway). Traded my lovely 02 vtr in for an blue M750 from John Carr in Alfreton. Why trade in my storm? - health issues make a sports tourer not right for me now. I did like the way the bike made its power (and noise) so I wanted to stay with the v twin format.

I have previously had a hornet and when I brought that it was in comparison with a 600 monster. Then the power of the Hornet just shaded it, but the monster had more style.

So with a few more cc's and some reading on the web that the 750's were considered the ideal monster (I'm sure you all have opinions on that) I stayed loyal to the V twin format and got me a monster in the end !

The icing on the cake was finding this active community. I got a lot from the Hornets web community including some fine memories of track days ride outs and weekends away, so I hope to be as active with you lot if you'll have me !!

A couple of questions if you don’t mind.

When I had my test ride the bike was a little snatchy pulling away - the chain looks like it needs tensioning, does this normally show itself this way?

The riding position is excellent for me plus the seat height gives my little legs a chance. The bars seem very wide, have any of you cut them down or replaced them?

Finally exhausts...... I like the look of the originals but need the sound that only the v twins can give. Any recommendations especially for the 750 will be well received (plus some pointers as to where they can be purchased from.)

That's all; I look forward to meeting some of you through the year,

Take care

Nev

tamtbam@hotmail
29-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Hi,

Greetings from Derby from a new owner (well next Sat anyway). Traded my lovely 02 vtr in for an blue M750 from John Carr in Alfreton. Why trade in my storm? - health issues make a sports tourer not right for me now. I did like the way the bike made its power (and noise) so I wanted to stay with the v twin format.

I have previously had a hornet and when I brought that it was in comparison with a 600 monster. Then the power of the Hornet just shaded it, but the monster had more style.

So with a few more cc's and some reading on the web that the 750's were considered the ideal monster (I'm sure you all have opinions on that) I stayed loyal to the V twin format and got me a monster in the end !

The icing on the cake was finding this active community. I got a lot from the Hornets web community including some fine memories of track days ride outs and weekends away, so I hope to be as active with you lot if you'll have me !!

When I had my test ride the bike was a little snatchy pulling away - the chain looks like it needs tensioning, does this normally show itself this way?

The riding position is excellent for me plus the seat height gives my little legs a chance. The bars seem very wide, have any of you cut them down or replaced them?

Finally exhausts...... I like the look of the originals but need the sound that only the v twins can give. Any recommendations especially for the 750 will be well received (plus some pointers as to where they can be purchased from.)

That's all; I look forward to meeting some of you through the year,

Take care

Nev

Greetings and filicitations and good choice.
You've joined a great bunch here.
Don't know about the 750 but mine was a bit like that on take off until i got the hang of where the bite point was and the right revs.
Can't see a prob with the handle bars but if there is someone will be along to correct me.
Cans. Have a look around the site as there for sale on here now and again or try e-bay. Got my Bos cans off it.:biggrin: :biggrin:
And get the :booze: in.
Hope this helps.
Tam.

Kev Bunney
29-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Welcome Nev, you`ve made an excellent choice with the 750 (he would say that) you are also in the right area for the "Midlands Mob" keep an eye on the events section for meets, ride outs etc and hope to meet you soon.

eonan
30-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi Nev...welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Hi,

Has the front sprocket being changed to a 14T [as opposed to the stock 15T]? This is a very popular mod...giving vastly increased accereration in the lower gears.

If you do a search on 'Clip-Ons', you'll find loads of threads with really useful info...again this is a modification a lot of people make.

Hmmm...the worlds your oyster with this one. This is a subject that appears at least once a week, so lots of great threads to read. The most popular choices are Sil Moto, Termignoni, Ducati Performance, LeoVince, Remus...the list goes on and on. Then there's the high mount or low mount question, titanium, carbon fibre or aluminium, round or oval etc etc :spin:

As for where to buy them...eBay really is a great resource for Monster parts, and there are loads of vendors out there. I must admit most of my stuff comes from companies in the US...the only UK company I use frequently is Spareshack.

Hope this helps a little hey.

Pugi
30-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Hi and welcome!
Eonan is right, 14 teeth front (or a few more on the rear) will work wonders.
There are many bars to choose from, I'm sure Renthal have a few that might suit you. Search this as well for good threads. Not sure about clip ons. I haven't tried riding with it, but I'm told it changes your position to a sportier one, and this might not work out with your health reasons mentioned.
Cans? As mentioned - there's enough to accommodate everyones taste.

johndark
01-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi! Before i fitted bar-end indicators,i cut an inch off each end just to keep the overall width the same.Works for me,but much more and i think hose/cable routing might be a problem:mad:

Redkite2
02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Nev, welcome - another one from the Hornets Nest! I'm still one of the mods for the 900 board there. SadBiker is also from the Nest. Sold my 900 Hornet a while back and should be picking up my S2R 1000 next Wednesday.
Have fun with your new machine.

yellownev
02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I'm pleased I've found a good bike with a good group of active owners. Must be something about riders of naked bikes - friendly and uncompetetive group.

Take care

Nev

yellownev
06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Well its in the garage a day early. I poped over to the dealer to drop off the standard cans for my VTR and it was sitting ready for me. Sun shining roads dry so I drove back got the storm out and picked the 750 up. I negotiated a new rear tyre so I had an excuse to put some miles on the clock by going the long way home through some loverly Derbyshire roads.

Its got the pillion approval as well which is a bonus as I was expecting the small seat to present a few concerns, but the lower pegs and easier motor suite my misus.

The only thing now is getting the most out of the v twin exhaust note so I am in the process of getting some cans.

Only down side so far was cracking the right hand mirror while adjusting its position (arse) That'll teach me to fiddle with me ped while under the influence....

I am not 100% happy with the front brake - seems to judder and pulse, I think it could bne a warped disk - is this common?

I know its the right bike casue I'm looking for excuses to ride it - even went out for milk and bread today.....:thumbsup:

Take care out there,

Nev

Albie
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Glad you like it. Sounds like a possible brake disc warp. Make sure the pads are seated and clean and a bit of copperslip on the back of piston/pad. They can rust as I found out last month. Pad was sticking in caliper from returning back. Simple fix.
My partner loves the pillion but its corbin seat. Porobs ok with standard but never had one.

Exhausts get what you like other than standards. I have termis now but also had Sils and scorpions. All good.

Enjoy it.:tgoe: :tgoe:

Buzz
07-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Hello Nev

I'm just down the road from you (Kimberley) and as you can see I've got a 750. Spooky thing is I've also got a Hornet sat on the drive as well :eyepopping: - Mrs Buzz rides that one!

Re. the 'snatchy' take up, I think that's pretty normal and you soon get used to it. There's not much you can do to adjust a hydraulic clutch, but keeping the chain well lubbed and adjusted makes a big difference. The front brakes shouldn't be 'pulsing' though. They do make the trademark brembo 'buzz' under heavy braking, but I've found mine to be superb (never need more than two fingers). I'd check to see one or other of the discs isn't warped.

Re. the mirror - don't worry - you'll never use it anyway (unless you like admiring your elbow!).

Finally, re. the Cans, I replied on your other thread. I've got 'Carbon Can Co' ones fitted to mine. Much cheaper than the alternatives listed above. pm me if you want to meet up and have a listen :)

Spike
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
:flag: Hello Nev
So you like track days why not give the Mallory one a try, you get to give the Ducati press fleet a blast around the track and it's a great day out plenty of monster people to meet with.:roger:

yellownev
09-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Well the discs are warped - certainly the left hand one and very slightly on the right hand. Top marks to John Carr motorcycles (Alfreton) agreed it and ordered up a pair of replacements with no probs, a cup of coffee and a chat about footy while I waited and an apology.:thumbsup:

Waiting on mr Desmodog to respond on the cans and I'm just about sorted.

Purfect bike - nice riding position, can put both feet down (first time since me fs1e (ahhhh memories) and has the stomp and character of a v twin - plus its me first italian bike in 28yrs of motorbikes.

Nev

Thinking about the trackday now...................

Chaos Inc.
10-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Alllooooo. Welcome to the Mind is a Terrible thing to Taste website. Oh no, that was last weeks dinner.... mmm... Welcome to the Monster Owners Club otherwise known as handbags at ten paces if yer bike is more of a ratter than mine ;) :D Welcome regardless.