PDA

View Full Version : wheelies how to do um

welshman
27-04-2006, 12:10 PM
summers here nee to get me monster air born

anyone good some sound advice best way to start to learn how to learn wheelies on my s4

cheers

markus
27-04-2006, 12:21 PM
There's various wheelie courses about - I believe this place hold them both at finmere (northamptonshire) and somewhere in stratford upon avon, maybe others too.
I've spoken to this guy - he's really helpfull, but as i havn't got round to doing the course yet i can't tell ya what it's like.

Try him (Can't remember his name) on 07786635796

welshman
27-04-2006, 12:23 PM
nice one thanks for that

cheers

Gilps
27-04-2006, 12:32 PM
I did my very first one on the Monster just last week. I didn't mean to, it just happened. I turned left off a major road into a small country road. I was convinced I was in second gear. I came round on an even throttle and started to open it up when I saw a horse deposit on the road. I dropped the revs, negotiated said pile and whacked it open. The front just came up. I wasn't expecting it and it took me a split second to realise what had happened. I backed off, planted the front down very gently and carried on. I can only assume I was in first and not second. Bet I culdn't do it again and don't plan to either.

welshman
27-04-2006, 01:36 PM
What i did the other day was pull away quick of a set of traffic lights , the front came up i guess about 8 inches off the ground , but i could not keep it up ( steady with your replys on this one ) keep the wheel up i shoud have said

so my question is

wheelies off the cluch or via the throttle if throttle what revs should i be at ???

cheesr guys

Gilps
27-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I have managed to pop wheelies in my past by rolling along in 1st at about 5,000 revs, pulling in the clutch, increasing the revs and dumping the clutch sharpish. Not very elegant but it gets the front up. I think the pros do it by dropping the revs, even a dab of front brake to preload the suspension and then whacking open the throttle. It's all a bit beyond me. i don't try to do them any more as the old bill really don't like it. Expect to get slaughtered if they catch you doing it on a public road.

JMo
27-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Also, you are likely to knacker your headbearings unless you can land them really gently... road bikes are not designed for that sort of punishment.

There are a number of wheelie schools who advertise in the back of MCN - best prectice on their bikes until you're really good...

Or get an off-road bike x

xxx

ps. mind you, a 14T front sprocket (and say 42 rear) on your S4 ought to give you them off the throttle...

Rogerg
27-04-2006, 02:17 PM
ps. mind you, a 14T front sprocket (and say 42 rear) on your S4 ought to give you them off the throttle...

That combination would turn the fecking thing into a Uni-cycle jen! - the 15/39 combo I've got it quite lively.

Gilps
27-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I did my very first one on the Monster just last week. I didn't mean to, it just happened. I turned left off a major road into a small country road. I was convinced I was in second gear. I came round on an even throttle and started to open it up when I saw a horse deposit on the road. I dropped the revs, negotiated said pile and whacked it open. The front just came up. I wasn't expecting it and it took me a split second to realise what had happened. I backed off, planted the front down very gently and carried on. I can only assume I was in first and not second. Bet I culdn't do it again and don't plan to either.
Well I stand corrected, I did manage to do it again, and it was in second. At the same place as before I provoked it into a wheelie and up it came. A bit disconcerting though. I've been used to just cracking the throttle open in second but now I'm going to have to be a bit more careful. I dont want to wheelie, just accelerate fast. I put it all down to the new exhaust and power commander. I get maximum torque at 3000 revs now and its flat all the way to 8500. Yummy.

Scotty
27-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Well I stand corrected, I did manage to do it again, and it was in second. At the same place as before I provoked it into a wheelie and up it came. A bit disconcerting though. I've been used to just cracking the throttle open in second but now I'm going to have to be a bit more careful. I dont want to wheelie, just accelerate fast. I put it all down to the new exhaust and power commander. I get maximum torque at 3000 revs now and its flat all the way to 8500. Yummy.

just lean forward more

marchesini
27-04-2006, 08:07 PM
a small thread with some techniques here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=13605&highlight=wheelies

very scary though and best bit of advice is ........ wear a back protector!

good luck

Scotty
27-04-2006, 08:40 PM
i hadmymonster airbourn the othher day...

floaty light (http://www.drscott.plus.com/levitation.mov)

10 meg quicktime file mind