PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a modified bike

bigredduke
26-04-2006, 03:37 PM
I have just had my insurance renewal from Ducati Insurance. The insurance co. is Equity Red Star. I informed them of the modifications I intend to do - mainly cosmetic carbon bits but also a 2 into 1 carbon exhaust.

Equity red Star will not cover a modified bike and the only company Ducati Insurance can find to cover it is Norwich Union for an astronomical premium.

Has anyone else had this problem? Bearing in mind the Monster seems one of the most modified bikes around I would imagine it's not uncommon.

Renewal is due 4th May so I am more than just a bit concerned!

Paranoid Dave
26-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Carole Nash do a 'streetfighter policy' or thats how it used to be called. they are happy with modifications and the bike can be quoted and insured etc with the value based on the bike itself, not the standard version. I have sent photos' of all sides of mine and listed all parts, everything from one off tail piece and cans to rear sets and twin headlights are covered. I'm going to do the monkey bike too.
I went with them because of the price they quoted but its a real peace of mind knowing kylie is insured with cans etc as she sits. Before that i was with CIS insurance and they were happy with the cans too - but thats before i went crazy with the mods.

bigredduke
26-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Just tried them, they could only quote for Norwich Union at twice the cost of my renewal!

Darry
26-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Just tried them, they could only quote for Norwich Union at twice the cost of my renewal!

Try new kid on the bloc ebike, they allow you to list most mods and have given good quotes to a lot of people.

www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk

Good Luck

CK & AK
26-04-2006, 04:24 PM
AK's home built streetfighter Monster is insured with Carole Nash, via Equity Red Star, with an agreed value as so many one off parts - had to have engineers report and pics too for them to go ahead in Jan 04, and they still continue to cover it FC

rich
26-04-2006, 04:24 PM
I have mine with Carole Nash since last year ,told them of the mods done
but they said it would all be covered on a "custom "policy

so i went with them

Nun of what i said, is in the policy except the paint job

they just want you to sign up & pay up
even got the cc wrong:banghead:

So check your schedule for all thats missing!
rich

Gilps
26-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I'll second that. Ebike Ebike. They're grrreat. easy to deal with.

Hows your bike coming along? Any news yet? It looks like you have got a ride sorted out for the weekend so won't be needing my shonky old heap. The dealers just overhauling the front brakes at the mo as they seized up solid but should have it back tomorrow if you change your mind.

Matt Black
26-04-2006, 04:30 PM
I have just had my insurance renewal from Ducati Insurance. The insurance co. is Equity Red Star. I informed them of the modifications I intend to do - mainly cosmetic carbon bits but also a 2 into 1 carbon exhaust.

Equity red Star will not cover a modified bike and the only company Ducati Insurance can find to cover it is Norwich Union for an astronomical premium.

Has anyone else had this problem? Bearing in mind the Monster seems one of the most modified bikes around I would imagine it's not uncommon.

Renewal is due 4th May so I am more than just a bit concerned!

I have a policy with Carole Nash covering two bikes.

One is the Monster with tail chop (which is technically slicing the frame about), custom paint, exhaust etc etc They know all about everything I've done, and they were happy to cover it with a custom bike policy with - believe it or not Equity Red Star

So ask for the equity Red Star Custom Policy and you should be fine!!

bigredduke
26-04-2006, 04:49 PM
I'll second that. Ebike Ebike. They're grrreat. easy to deal with.

Hows your bike coming along? Any news yet? It looks like you have got a ride sorted out for the weekend so won't be needing my shonky old heap. The dealers just overhauling the front brakes at the mo as they seized up solid but should have it back tomorrow if you change your mind.

I've got to ring Ducati Leeds tomorrow to find out the good or bad news. Yes, a delightful young lady wot goes by the name of Nonnie has very kindly offered me her Monster for the Sunday rideout.

gary tompkins
26-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Try H&R insurance

They insured all the mods on my solo - no problem at all?

Went to Bikesure for trike (insured through Adrian Flux) and also got a great deal ;)

benson
03-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm through H&R too - no problems with all the mods including the tank and the rest of the bling - they're pretty good all round really...

smiffyuk
03-05-2006, 08:23 PM
ebikeinsurance for me !!

covered my bike with race cans, power commander , airbox kit for £160 fullycomp and that includes breakdown cover as well - can't fault 'em:thumbsup:

bigredduke
03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Managed to get it sorted via Adrian Flux as recommended by Gary T (I think)
Listed all the mods I intend to do (ahem!) and it was quite straightforward. Premium was a bit higher than expected but probably as a result of my recent shunt and no no-claims bonus!

Thanks guys as ever for your help!