PDA

View Full Version : Running in a 620ie?

Jane
25-04-2006, 05:02 PM
When I got the bike last month, the bike shop told me to keep the revs between 4000 and 6000 for the first 200 miles. Several weeks later they finally sent me the manual which says that this is the max revs for the first 1000 km and that up to 2500km I should stay below 7000 revs. Is this what most people stick to?

Gilps
25-04-2006, 05:13 PM
That's what the book says so that is what you SHOULD do. Many don't though. I stuck to the book and my engine developed a fault which showed up at the 600 mile service. Basically the engine had lost compression and somebody at Ducati suggested that I had been TOO gentle with it. Anyway, they fitted new barrels and pistons and I haven't bothered running it in again. I just cane it everywhere now. It doesn't seem to mind.
I would certainly recommend sticking to the guidlines up to the 600 mile/1000km service though.
And welcome aboard.

bod
25-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I got two different bits of advice from dealer when mine was new.
1-Run it in as per manual(I did go over the RPM a few times)
2-Nail from the start,you shouldn't have any problems:cool:

sjr999r
25-04-2006, 06:10 PM
i'll tell u an old story about a friend of a friend who bought a Laverda 750.....but first what a gorgeous motorcycle,looks,trick bits,just dripping in names........but anyway.....he asked the dealer who he got it from.how do i run it in........the guy said and this is true......'Laverdas are like a handgranade with the pin pulled.....is goner blow up..Yeah,when its goner blow up i dont know'.been told there very very highly strung:eyepopping:

slob
25-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I'd try and stick roughly to the running in procedure. remember it aint the end of the world if you over rev it a bit here and there, the important thing is to vary the revs and increase them progressively, eg if they say don't exceed 6K, don't just ride around at 6K... you'll just cause problems. The max. revs/mileage advice is a guide not a series of steps.
I'd run a race engine in with about 20 slow laps followed by 20 fast ones and rebuild the thing at the end of the season.
On a road bike I'd take a little more care and time, 'cos I'd like the thing to last tens of thousands of miles before major work.
The first service is also vital, since all the metal fragments from the new parts will end up in the oil so the oil/filter change needs doing pretty much on time.

Shauns4
25-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Just my opinion.... but the best way is to vary the engine speed and build up the rpm over the running period in short bursts, also better to use a semi-synthetic oil as too little internal friction will not allow the parts to bed in, especially nikasil plated bores which are very hard.

Rockhopper
25-04-2006, 08:16 PM
There are a few articles on the net about this but apparently the most critical time in an engines life is the first thirty minutes running time. This is when the ring to bore seal takes place, run it in too gently and this process never happens and you are looking at new rings and possibly barrels to recover the engines designed performance.

Basically the theory is that you should give it loads of revs right from the word go, don't let it overheat though. Then let it cool down and repeat a few times. You can do it on a dyno in a couple of hours.

They don't take race bikes out and ride them gently for 2000 miles first do they?

Another thing to bear in mind is that every Ducati is tested on the rolling road before it leaves the factory. I've watched them doing this. They run it up to the rev limiter in each gear a few times.

Jane
25-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the info, it's given me plenty of food for thought and a bit of reassurance. (Got a bit heavy on the throttle once or twice and saw the needle on the rev counter shoot across alarmingly, always got it back down quickly though!)
I plan to keep the bike for a good few years, so I need to look after it.

bod
25-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Same as myself im sure the few mad moments during the run in period wouldn't off damaged anything.....it may of helped(labouring an engine is worse than thrashing it)

sadbiker
26-04-2006, 06:22 AM
Basically the theory is that you should give it loads of revs right from the word go, don't let it overheat though. Then let it cool down and repeat a few times. You can do it on a dyno in a couple of hours.

If you ever go to the factory go and see the engine bay, all engines are very rigerously tested after being assembled, this is under load and from what I saw looked aggressive.

I would be surprised to see any engine problems by the time we get them.

sidestand
26-04-2006, 08:47 AM
just melt it from the start i have had a few ducatis and from the word go i just gave them the max and never had a problem my mate has aprilla rsv and he does the same grip it and rip it

tamtbam@hotmail
27-04-2006, 04:58 AM
If you ever go to the factory go and see the engine bay, all engines are very rigerously tested after being assembled, this is under load and from what I saw looked aggressive.

I would be surprised to see any engine problems by the time we get them.

As Sadbiker says they get tested to the limit on build.
It's not goona kill it if you over rev it a few times, but run it up and down the limits while your runnin it in to bed in the parts.
Any new engines got it's initial beddin in time but thrashin it could cause a prob.
Sometimes your lucky and get away with it but if it breaks down they can see if you thrashed it off the download.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: