PDA

View Full Version : Hello New member. 620ie help needed please.

Ingie
24-04-2006, 04:02 PM
Hello new to the forum. My name is Christine.

I have had my Monster since June 04 but only ridden it for a few months since passing my test. New to bikes.
Done 350 miles only.
The problem is that it will only pull to 70 mph, it's as if it's going uphill all the time.
After a 20 min run the inside of the exhausts are hot ie red.
The fuel pump also make a whinning noise all the time.
It was bought new and the pump has always made that noise.
The problem is that due to only just passing my test the bike has not run much, only started in the garage, and not been serviced. Wasn't told that it had to be serviced after 1 year so didn't take it in although it had done no miles !!!

Could it be not enough fuel / air ?
Also sometimes the ignition doesn't come on when the key is turned to on.

Thank you for any help.

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 04:08 PM
...Does your bike have the standard Ducati immobiliser fitted?

If you put the key in and leave it for too long before turning the key to the on position, the immobiliser cuts back in but doesn't flash the light on the clocks. You just need to remove the key and put it back in again, then turn it straight to the on position. Hope this helps.

Phil

P.S. Welcome to the club. :mand:

Ingie
24-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks I will try that.
It does have the immobiliser fitted.
Sorry for the stupid question.

Gilps
24-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Is it restricted to 33bhp? This is done to make it legal for someone who has passed their test on a 125cc bike.

Ingie
24-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Don't think so.
How would I tell ?
It certainly feels like it.

Pedro
24-04-2006, 04:32 PM
If the pipes are getting so hot they're glowing red, the fueling may be way to lean - this could be very damaging!!

I would suggest you take it to a mechanic or dealer who can check the setup properly. Wouldn't do many more miles with it running like this if I were you!

Ped

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the stupid question.

No such thing as a stupid question on here. If you don't know the answer then the question needs to be asked. :D

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Would do many more miles with it running like this if I were you!

:twak: Ped

Personally I wouldn't. :mand:

Ingie
24-04-2006, 04:43 PM
It was red after a 5 mile run on the M-way, not after a slow ride around.
I will have to take it to the dealers, they think that Ducati won't honour any warranty as I didn't get it serviced after 1 year even though it hadn't turned a wheel .
I will have to see if they will honour it ??

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 04:51 PM
I will have to take it to the dealers, they think that Ducati won't honour any warranty as I didn't get it serviced after 1 year even though it hadn't turned a wheel .
I will have to see if they will honour it ??

Ducati might do if they want your continued custom, is your dealer a non Ducati dealer? Be careful of them telling you that just to keep you going to them, then they'll screw you blind with the old excuse of "That'll cost you, it's a Ducati, parts are really expensive blah, blah, blah"!

Gilps
24-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Ducati should honour the warranty. Even though you have not stuck to the service schedule exactly, the vehicle still has to be fit for the purpose for which it was sold, for a reasonable amount of time. Its probably nothing too serious anyway. I would get the dealer to check it out.

Ingie
24-04-2006, 05:01 PM
It is an official Ducati dealer who were very helpful.
It was just an oversight or my not understanding what i should have done regarding the servicing.
It's obviously my first bike.
Don't want to have to sell it and buy Japenese but it has no power and not safe to overtake anything.
Also can't touch the floor on any other 600 !!!!!!

How are they restricted ???

Bodybag
24-04-2006, 05:34 PM
...How old are you? I ask cos if you do your direct access under the age of 21 then you can only ride a restricted bike for 2 years after passing your test. Not sure what the rules are about having them de-restricted but I hope I've not offended you if you're a different age. :eek:

Phil

Ingie
24-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Older than 21 !!!!!
Not offended just thanks for the replies.

ricky
24-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't think so.
How would I tell ?
It certainly feels like it.
Oh this is me!! :yoparty: well if it dosnt accelerate after 6000-6500 revs then its restricted, will go faster than 70 though, had mine at over 100!! :fou:

Ingie
24-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Just a pic of my bike.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/Ingie1/ChrissMonster.gif

ricky
24-04-2006, 06:23 PM
nice colour!!

ricky
24-04-2006, 06:27 PM
It is an official Ducati dealer who were very helpful.
It was just an oversight or my not understanding what i should have done regarding the servicing.
It's obviously my first bike.
Don't want to have to sell it and buy Japenese but it has no power and not safe to overtake anything.
Also can't touch the floor on any other 600 !!!!!!

How are they restricted ???
the restrictor kit consists of just 2 big washers!! I know coz i paid £160 to have them fitted at a dealers then paid a mate feck all to take them out!! And as for not havin power, i went out with my mates 1 on a 600 bandit the other on a R6 and i was with them the whole time!! And we certainly didnt go slow!!:woot: :woot:

Ingie
24-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Ricky

Where are the washers placed when fitted ?
Had the paint done before I got it.

ricky
24-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Ricky

Where are the washers placed when fitted ?
Had the paint done before I got it.
mmmm now you've got me, im not very mechanicly minded!! :fou: i think its on the exhausts outlets or something im sure someone else will be along in a min to make me look stupid!! my bike had little miles on it aswell not so long ago, just remember to take it easy for the 1st 1000 or so when you are able to that is!!!!

Gilps
24-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I think that Ricky is talking about the carb'ed model, yours has fuel injection. I believe that the restriction on your bike is done by limiting how far the throttle will turn. If you bought your bike from new you would know if it was restricted as the dealer would have told you. It is something that you have to specify when you order the bike.

ricky
24-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I think that Ricky is talking about the carb'ed model, yours has fuel injection. I believe that the restriction on your bike is done by limiting how far the throttle will turn. If you bought your bike from new you would know if it was restricted as the dealer would have told you. It is something that you have to specify when you order the bike.
soz mate but mines the exact same bike!! my throttle went all the way round but revs didnt!! i have the big washers in my pocket!! it definetly something to do with them. but im certain thats not whats is wrong with your bike!!

Gilps
24-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Sorry Ricky for casting aspertions. I know on carb'ed bikes they put a couple of rubber washers inside the inlet ports to restrict flow, that's what I thought you meant. The dealer showed me an S2r with restriction and he said they had done that bike by inserting a screw in the throttle assembly to restrict how far round the throttle will twist (very high tech). But I agree with Ricky, it doesn't sound like that is your problem. I would get it into the dealers ASAP.

Ingie
24-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I will get my hubby to check the exhausts.

ricky
24-04-2006, 07:10 PM
I will get my hubby to check the exhausts.
Well what glips just said about inlet ports sounds abit more likely but on another note its good to see another 'short' person in here!! :woot: The
bike is certainly better for us wee people!! :biggrin:

JMo
24-04-2006, 08:07 PM
There is no way a proper restrictor kit would make the bike run that badly - something else is definately afoot...

As Ped suggests, it sound like something wrong with the fuelling/mixture - infact lean tends to run better/peppyier up to a point, then distroys your engine x

You say the exhausts are glowing red - do you mean where they exit the cylinder (the header pipes), or in the silencer themselves?

Perhaps the lack of use means a small family of rodants have nested in there?! That would cause a blockage certainly...

xxx

Ingie
24-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Red in the outlet of the exhaust silencer where you can see the baffle tube.

Waitng for the Dealer to call back tomorrow with a reply on wether Ducati will look at it under warranty or not.
If not I will have to pay to get it looked at.
The bike has only been riden slowly so hope the engine is ok.
It was when a bike was behind yesterday that they told me it was hot otherwise I wouldn't have known.

Just removed the right hand silencer and there is no washer but the corugated baffle in the exhaust inlet is pretty extensive.

Pedro
24-04-2006, 10:00 PM
There will be no baffling or the like as part of a restrictor kit so that is not the cause of the problem. Even restricted bikes will pull 85+

I've thought about this more and still think there is either a fueling issue (running lean) or perhaps even the ECU has thrown it's hand in. I realy think you should get it to a dealer who can do some diagnostics on it, something is definitely not right if it's running that badly.

Ped

Sparky
24-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Are you sure it's not the brakes sticking on?

Chris

tamtbam@hotmail
25-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I'd go with the fuel mix but it sounds like your throttle's not right either.
As jmo says when it's lean it should rev lower and be slightly quicker on acceleration. My fuel settings were tweeked in Kuwait for the hot weather and then reset for the cold by the Ducati dealer there. Even when it's lean the bike should still hit at least 120mph as mine did.
Get it into the dealer quick for a diagnostic and watch your revs over the first 1,000 miles if it's new.
Did you get the owner manual with the bike as this gives you the run in recommendations. 5500-6000rpm for the first 1,000miles.
Hope this helps.
Tam.

Ingie
25-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Not been over 6000 rpm at all.
Going into the dealer but not until May 16th earliest date free.
Thank you for all the replies but it being my first bike I had no idea there was anything wrong.

thick-leyther
26-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Hi, sounds like a bundle of laughs :banghead: just a recommendation - take it to Italsport in Bury, very helpful and not a bad ride out from Wigan.
www.italsport.net:thumbsup:

Lady-Bob
27-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Thank you for all the replies but it being my first bike I had no idea there was anything wrong.

S'wot's we're here for.

Would be nice if you could let us all know what the problem was once it is fixed

a) because someone else out here in forum-land might need to know

and

b) because we are all desparate to know now!! :ukm:

Rockhopper
27-04-2006, 12:14 PM
Might you be accidentally resting your foot on the back brake as you are riding?

Ingie
27-04-2006, 03:35 PM
No not on the brake at all.
I will let you know what the proplem was and final outcome.

Thanks.

johndark
29-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Does the ecu have some kind of 'safe' mode,a sort of 'get you home coz there's a problem' default? I could be talking rubbish-it has happened before! No,really-it has.:dunce:

Ingie
16-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for all the replies and help.

The bike has been over to Ducati Leeds today.
They were very helpful and seem to have found the problems.
I havn't ridden the bike yet but it sounds completely different now.

One plug was failing making the bike run on one cylinder, the extra fuel not being used was burning in the exhausts causing them to glow when heated.
Two small black relays were also braking down although I don't know what they did.
Hope to ride the bike in the next few days so I will be able to tell if it's OK then.
Fingers crossed.:thumbsup:

Bodybag
16-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Lets hope its sorted for you now. Are you going to the MAD Weekender? See you there, if you are, on a sorted monster.

Steggz
17-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Have the plugs out, if their white its lean and if its black its rich and if golden brown/dark grey you can rule mixture settings out.