PDA

View Full Version : Open air box M900Sie

steve wright
16-04-2006, 06:12 PM
i've been running race exhaust cans and K&Nfilter for a year now with no problems and no changes to the fuelling. Now i've opened up the air box lid and the bike is far more responsive.
Is anyone else running this configuration safely, or should i be altering the fuelling to prevent lean running?

steve wright
16-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Oops, i forgot to say it has the DP ecu upgrade.

Pedro
16-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Wouldn't hurt to get a dyno run or two to check

dave 955
17-04-2006, 09:42 AM
i have an s4r i have read about people "opening the airbox"
is there any information any where about doing this mod.
thanks dave:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rockhopper
17-04-2006, 11:46 AM
I think in a lot of cases the extra noise produced can be mistaken for extra power. I'd like to see some dyno results to see exactly what happens.

steve wright
17-04-2006, 09:37 PM
This is a common mod Dave. If you look at your airbox you will see the lid is retained by 4 sprung clips on the walls. All you do is cut the top face of the box off completely, leaving the walls alone, and hence the clipping points. This leaves you with just the "frame" required to clip down to retain the air filter in place.
This mod hugely increases the ability of the motor to suck air, when compared to the cross section of the 2 trumpets it normally sucks through.
When i work out how to post a picture I'll send a before and after for you.

Pedro
17-04-2006, 09:48 PM
On a related note....

Carb bikes won't run properly with an open airbox unless you fit a K&N, cans and either a DynoJet or Factory jet kit, biiiiiiiiiiiig hole in the midrange!!!

Well worth doing all that though, much better afterwards!

steve wright
17-04-2006, 10:19 PM
possibly all the dyno runs you'll ever want

www.moto-one.com.au/performance/index.html#mods

dave 955
20-04-2006, 08:22 PM
thanks for the info it is very interesting as mine is still standard (its a long time till christmas!!)
dave

bod
20-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Makes interesting reading......If these are to be believed(can't see any reason why not in principal) is it really worth spending money on DP ECU's and filters etc other than for the sake of spending money?(OK the added noise I would justify too)

Myself for my birthday I have spent my money on IAM membership,would surely make me a better/safer rider for more £ for BHP/lap times.