PDA

View Full Version : Up North Novices?

eonan
15-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I take it that the majority of folks on here pretty experienced riders? The reason I ask is because, erm...I'm not :o

I look at all the ride outs and track days, really wanting to go, but worry that I'll be a bit of a laughing stock, lagging way behind.

I've only been riding for 5 months, and am dead keen on improving my skills. I noticed on the Knockhill web site, that they're doing a 'Novice Bike Track Day School' on the 18th April. Are they're any beginners on here [obviously up North] who'd be up for going along? I think I'm going to go anyway, but it would be great to have some company :)

Scotty
15-04-2006, 08:09 PM
i could come and photo you with any misshap ?

the only way to improve is practice

so much so that practicing trackdays makes you good at track days and rideing on the road makes you better on the road

i think the best ride outs ive been on (which have a vast range of experiance /bottle/skill/lunacy) have the fast ppl up front and the slow ones at the back

and every junction the person at the back waits for the next person to catch up as it were

no one gets lost ad the lead has periodically stopped for everyone to catch up normally at a junction etc

think can lead to a bit of a rideing on your own sort of situation but if your after tips and hints etc all you have to do is ask someone even more so at a track day , this will be catered for at a novice session as you put it , the important thing is to ask at the start of the day / sessions so that you then have some time to practice them umm

Pedro
15-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Eonan

you'd probably be better off doing an IAM advanced course or BikeSafe - better for road riding skills than a track day

Ped

dlloyduk
15-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Niall probaly a lot of novices on here Judging by the amount of hello posts and the Monster being a good choice for a first bike.
I'm still stabilizers after getting mine last May and still really enjoying playing with the traffic but still s****e on corners but improving all the time,or was that getting a better book of excuses?
Anyway you have probably one of the best roads(no scrap that probably thee best road IMHO) in the country on your doorstep A93 Blairgowrie-Braemar-Ballater. I would expect that with a pupose built test track at your front door you will pick things up quicker than most-Just take care, I reckon thats the first trick.
Oh and I seem to remember theres a Bakers in Ballater that does the best Scotch Pies ever made-Now just explain to me why you spend so much time on here?:twak:

Jim66a
16-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Mmmmm Piesssssss :)
I'm quite a novice, Only passed my test last June

eonan
16-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Oh and I seem to remember theres a Bakers in Ballater that does the best Scotch Pies ever made-Now just explain to me why you spend so much time on here?:twak:

Heh heh...well, as soon as Goodgridge send my oil hoses back, I'm hoping you'll see a lot less of me :p

DesmoDog
16-04-2006, 08:10 AM
I eat pies and ride like a novice. Scotch pies mmmmmmmmmm. Eonan, the last thing you want to do with that monnie you're tricking up is take it on the track. You'll have to take half the kit off before they let you on I think, or is that only for racing?

I have to agree with Scotty on this one.

eonan
16-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Eonan, the last thing you want to do with that monnie you're tricking up is take it on the track. You'll have to take half the kit off before they let you on I think, or is that only for racing?

Either that or I'll total it :fou: Aw man, how bad would that be...after all this work! Pretty much all the tricking 'up' has been performance...all the cosmetic stuff has been tricking 'down'...still, I hear what you're saying :thumbsup:

There's a new forum called 'Ducati Up North', for us northern types. There seems to be loads of rideouts being planned, so I reckon I'm just going to take the plunge, go along for the craic and most likely have a great time.

DesmoDog
16-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I see that they're planning a ride out to the lakes. I know Scotty's going. If I can get the time out I'll be there too.

Yorkie
16-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Track day it! It is a great learning tool! I have been on a few and have learnt something new every time!

Go as fast as you feel comfortable, within your own limits (The bike has greater limits than you!) and enjoy, get tuition, you dont have to be a kneedown god just smooth and in control.

Its safer than the open road, and if you can get on one of the track days run at an airfield, the grass run offs are massive, if you do overcook it!

Yorkie.

tamtbam@hotmail
16-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Ducati up North are doin a Duc track day at Knockhill Eonan. Keep a look out on the site for dates. You missed a good Egg run in Gleesga the day, at least 2,000 bikes of all shapes and sizes.