PDA

View Full Version : S2R setup

Woodie
15-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Hello peeps,
To save me scouring this site.. anybody got any ideas on suspension setup for the S2R. I took mine out for a good blat today and Ive decided my front end dont feel right, ie.. a bit vague. Should I start messing with fork height and twiddling the rear shock about? Maybe I just need to get used to the thing. Anybody have similar thoughts when they first rode theirs? Any help would be REALLY useful..
Ta peeps.

Dave G
15-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Mines the same,a bit vague. I put it down to years on a 916 which felt very secure and many sportsbikes before that, and the change to upright bars-which I'd never used on any bike except a 125 trailie.
I think the only easily adjustable bit is the rear but I've never touched mine so I'll be interested to find out what everyone else has done.

Woodie
15-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Same here but different if you take me my meaning, my other bike is a big traillie and so more upright and with much wider bars but I can put it where I want in the road no probs. Ive had sports bikes in the past the most recent being a 748R and again no real probs but this riding position is kinda half way between the two and Im finding it a bit weird. Im toying with the idea of higher Renthal bars but maybe I just need more time on the thing. No complaints otherwise apart from brakes and that bloody permanent headlight, oh and my right heal sticking out, and the starter motor running on when ive let off it, and the signals flashing once more after Ive cancelled them.. ha ha, Ducatis .. you gotta luv 'em eh.

slob
16-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Hello peeps,
To save me scouring this site.. anybody got any ideas on suspension setup for the S2R. I took mine out for a good blat today and Ive decided my front end dont feel right, ie.. a bit vague. Should I start messing with fork height and twiddling the rear shock about? Maybe I just need to get used to the thing. Anybody have similar thoughts when they first rode theirs? Any help would be REALLY useful..
Ta peeps.
Don't mess with the fork/ride hight yet.
First check headstock/swingarm/wheel bearings to make sure nothings loose. Next check your tyre pressures. Once you're sure all that's OK take a look at rear shock settings(making notes of any changes so you can always go back).
see here for a basic setup guide http://www.cornerspeed.net/sus_sag.html
Obviously you can ignore the bit about the forks if yours aren't adjustable.
Check chain tension once you're done. If you're not sure what you're doing, take it to a pro, it shouldn't take 'em long to get the basic setup right.

steve wright
16-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Setting the rear rider sag is the way forward on making these bikes steer better and more stable at the same time.
It puts more weight on the front end and steepens the steerin angle at the same time. About 5mm of static sag (Bike upright with no rider) and 30mm of rider sag(bike upright with someone supporting it while you sit on it with all your kit on holding the bars) seems to work for most.

Woodie
17-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll have a crack at static sag as soon as I can get someone to help me with it. Its not like it handles horrendously badly it just has a bit of a tendency to shake its head when things get a bit lary but never so much as to feel like its going to turn into a slapper. I was probably a bit spoilt by the 748 and am maybe expecting a bit much from this thing. Thanks again.