PDA

View Full Version : S4RS Test Ride

Pedro
15-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, popped into to see those nice chaps at Moto Rapido this afternoon and just as I was taking my lid off, Wilf offers a test ride on a beeeeaaaauutiful White S4RS.... would've been rude to say no!!

First impressions? Looks gorgeous in White! Very smooth motor and stonking brakes (pulled up about ten feet short at two junctions!!). Riding position is very good but the foot pegs seem to push your heels out a little, manly caused by the pillion pegs (easy fix, take 'em off!).

Out on the road the motor is superb! Pulls well from low down but the top end rush is awesome, very additicive and a serious license looser if your not careful, three figure speeds come up in no time at all, it still pulling hard at 125mph +!!!!! (sorry Wilf!!)

The chassis is excellent, feeling very planted on the road, regardless of surface quality on the whole. Only very bumpy sections unsettled it but not seriously. It turns very easily and the Ohlins kit certainly seemed to do it's job very well.

The downside? It was a little too quiet on standard pipes!!

Would I have one? Too bloody right!! I'm very jealous of anyone who has one or is waiting delivery, top bit of kit!

Thanks to Wilf for the test ride!!!

Ped

Mand
15-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Bloody show off - when you buying one then Ped?

Pedro
15-04-2006, 05:19 PM
I would in a heartbeat Mand, just got no money..... :(

Nonnie
15-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Well, I'm sitting here waiting for Rod to come back with his. It's been ratcheted into the back of a transit and should be pulling up any minute now! WooHoo!

He were like a little kid at Christmas earlier!

Pedro
15-04-2006, 05:44 PM
And rightly so Nonnie, he'll not be disappointed.....

Ped

Nonnie
15-04-2006, 06:50 PM
The transit van has a Baby On Board sticker!

sidrat
17-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Just come back from 4 days hols on mine with a pillion, its now done 1500 miles and is well run in, only change so far is a hugger and raised the rear 1 inch for the f*t pillion!, is it wonderfull......YES IT IS, is it fast.....YES IT IS, it it pretty in white....YES IT IS, you get the picture.....

Nonnie
17-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Well, Rod's S4Rs is in the garage in pieces. He has taken off most of the front end to make a protective grille for the oil cooler etc to keep those nasty stones away. He has got new blingking indicators, the new goldie looking chain looks good, the polished bits look fab, the trick bits nicked off the 999 are in place, the titanium rearsets look even better and now he has taken the wiring apart and tidied it up as it was a bit crass, it looks like it might just win Most Time Spent Preparing Before Ever Being Ridden Bike Competition somewhere.

Paranoid Dave
17-04-2006, 06:49 PM
so the loom did come off then :D when can we see pics of it... as i won't see it saturday.

Pedro
17-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Nonnie

tell him to stop messing around and go ride the thing, it's soooo worth it!

Ped

Paranoid Dave
17-04-2006, 06:55 PM
but it would get dirty and a stone might touch a radiator

Nonnie
17-04-2006, 08:03 PM
He is making protective panels for both oil cooler and radiator. That's fine you may say, but there's 2 of, for each, front and back!

Not the entire loom PD, just the alarm system (for now but be assured, it WILL come off). And then there's the small problem of the LED not sitting EXACTLY central at the front of the bike.

The panels go off tomorrow to be nickel plated with an anodised trim.

Come out Sunday PD, maybe Aldburgh or some such pretty place, you will understand the fastidiousness of it all and go Aaaaahhhhhhh at all the right things in the right places.

And Ped, Rod ride a bike that's not perfect? Even the bits nobody can see? With his reputation? Never!

Paranoid Dave
17-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I'll be off to aldeburgh on sunday even if it's on my own. If you fancy some chips and a small run to the beach and a quiet pub after then i'll be pleased to have the company.

Nonnie
17-04-2006, 08:24 PM
It would be a pleasure to accompany you on what is bound by the clouds above (and the little people sitting on them) to be a beautiful day!

MotoNik
22-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Rode one today (same nice chaps at Rapido).

They should re-name it the Ducati Monster Tourettes....

Acceleration....faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkkk!!!!!
Brakes...sheeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!!

Took me a good fifteen minutes to stop shaking after I rode it, what a tool!

Nik

fatbloke
22-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Rode one today (same nice chaps at Rapido).

They should re-name it the Ducati Monster Tourettes....

Acceleration....faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaackkkkkkk!!!!!
Brakes...sheeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!!

Took me a good fifteen minutes to stop shaking after I rode it, what a tool!

Nik
dont forget to mention you prefer my bike Nik;)

MotoNik
22-04-2006, 10:04 PM
dont forget to mention you prefer my bike Nik;)

To be truthful, I do! The RS is really impressive, but for me it hasn't got the character of the air-cooled twin. The 1000 retains that lovely grunty, almost rough edge that I love about Ducatis.

Maybe with a pipe and filter the RS would feel like a different animal (like a feckin rabid lion, recently castrated without the benefit of anaesthetic, I suspect!), but I think I prefer my twins air-cooled.

I got off it thinking "wow, what a missile" but I didn't find myself reaching for the credit card. Ok, it would have bounced anyway, what with the recent rash of four star hotels, and Emily's appetite for expensive French fix.... :D

Nik

JMo
22-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Don't matter how good it is, it still has a stoopid tea-tray...

xxx

There is a solution however... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=160200

MotoNik
22-04-2006, 10:09 PM

xxx

There is a solution however... http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=160200

Terry's has a lightweight racing tea-tray! Just right for resting those all-important pre-ride refreshments!

Nik

JMo
22-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Terry's has a lightweight racing tea-tray! Just right for resting those all-important pre-ride refreshments!

Nik

Yes, and it looks even shonkier than the original! Mind you, at least it exposes the frame - so you can see where to CUT IT!

xxx

MotoNik
22-04-2006, 11:07 PM
Yes, and it looks even shonkier than the original! Mind you, at least it exposes the frame - so you can see where to CUT IT!

xxx

I'm sitting on the fence with the tail chop thing - I think it looks good with high-level pipes and rearsets, but if I had an early Monster I don't think I could bring myself to get out the angle-grinder, as much as I like an excuse to dig out the power tools!

Nik

JMo
22-04-2006, 11:14 PM
I'm sitting on the fence with the tail chop thing - I think it looks good with high-level pipes and rearsets...

Looks even better with under-engine pipes and a single sider...

xxx

Pedro
22-04-2006, 11:17 PM
What, a bit like a Buell Ditch Pump?

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

spacemonkey
22-04-2006, 11:38 PM

Not to mention a butt ugly radiator. Might look ok if you ditched the rad, but the engine wouldn't last long...