PDA

View Full Version : Red Mist

nealenet
15-04-2006, 12:44 AM
I did something very stupid today. Went for a very gentle ride not in any hurry and just enjoying the bike. Several riders over took me and I didn't feel the need to give chase. I was in a line of traffic when a BMW 325i overtook me and three cars in front before pulling in sharply. What was surprising was that he was overtaking on the chevrons! He then cut up several more cars before I cought up with him at a roundabout. Now normally I would have just thought "what a w***er but the red mist decended and I though I would burn him up. It was a really stupid thing to do and bloody dangerous. I knew I could easily out accellerate him but I realised that I could never out drag him. He could pull 140 and still fidddle with the stereo.
After gunning it up to 120 sanity prevailed and I pulled over and let him by and as he did so he, and his whole chav family were laughing at me.

I remember reading some advice from a courier in London who said "if someone cuts you up, let them go. They are in and out of your life in 5 seconds" Very wise words. I should write them down and stick them on my speedo. better still stick a picture of your kids on the speedo. We really dont have anything to prove to these cretins.

Kiwi
15-04-2006, 05:30 AM
"if someone cuts you up, let them go. .

there is no prize for falling off and making a fool out of yourself racing plonkers such as you described

best to have as much distance between yourself and said idiot

dazzi-b
15-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Whilst out with Tigerlily yesterday we were overtaken very dangerously by some arrogant show off (with his blonde out of a bottle tan girlie) in a convertable merc whilst we were heading down the east coast to Scarborough. This idiot decided to overtake the two of us and 3 cars in front just before a blind bend. Just after he pulled in a learner on a 125 came round the bend in the opposite direction who I would have imagined had just had the scare of his life :thumbsdown:

Justice comes to these idiots in the end as we sailed passed them in a very long que of traffic into the resort. A 2 fingered salute would have gone down nicely from us as we passed I think but the grin on our faces was enough :D

Melnie Mouse
15-04-2006, 07:35 AM
there certainly are a lot of idiots, i had an R1 pass me so quick he wasn't there in my mirrors only a second ago, and i was coming down from about 80mph to a 40 for the limit and sharp right hand bend, when he shot by me SO close, it brushed my right arm, and unnerved me.

How selfish of the biker to go that close, what if i'd changed position and how he got round that right bend that quick, amazed me, but I wasn't happy being brushed like that!

Pugi
15-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Where the hell has courtesy gone nowadays? Roads or footpaths - people behave in the most selfish ways. As mentioned, what goes around comes around, just stick the fingers up and distance yourself.

ricky
15-04-2006, 11:09 AM
I was filtering through a VERY long traffic jam the other day, the way i do it is nice and steady keepin a look out ahead and i just happened to notice a total nobhead in a BMW(surprise) watching me in his mirrors then ever so slowly turning his wheels to the right and inching forward to block the gap!! :thumbsdown: well i saw it comin, sped up slightly and pulled up next to him, i knocked his window and he tried to ignore me but i hit it harder and the look of fear in his eyes made me calm down abit, call it wee man syndrome if you like but irresponsible cowards like that shouldnt be allowed to get away with using there cars as lethal weapons!!

Spud
15-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I was filtering through a VERY long traffic jam the other day, the way i do it is nice and steady keepin a look out ahead and i just happened to notice a total nobhead in a BMW(surprise) watching me in his mirrors then ever so slowly turning his wheels to the right and inching forward to block the gap!! :thumbsdown: well i saw it comin, sped up slightly and pulled up next to him, i knocked his window and he tried to ignore me but i hit it harder and the look of fear in his eyes made me calm down abit, call it wee man syndrome if you like but irresponsible cowards like that shouldnt be allowed to get away with using there cars as lethal weapons!!

Had a similar thing happen to me last time I was out (Xmas Eve sob - sob). Gently filtering down a line of traffic, when a car coming towards me in the other lane, which was moving at about 40 with well spaced traffic, moved accross the centre line so that I had to stop sharp, and almost ended up leaning on one of the cars in my lane to stop myself coming off. Why do these fools (thought I did well with that restrained description - it's really not the word that springs to mind) feel they need to try to intimidate us.

If they are really that bloody jealous of our ability to progress through traffic, they could just take their test and buy a bike - it would only cost the same as their weekly hair gel budget!

nealenet
15-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Man alive Melnie! Having another biker actually touch you has got to be scary. I was driving with a friend and our kids back from a Sunday morning rugby match the other day when a guy on a big Kawasaki exited on the roundabout ahead of us and pulled a huge wheelie and headed towards us on the white line doing about 60. All I could think was what an idiot. Even as a biker I wasn't impressed just imagine what non bikers thought.
I still think that most biker magazines still endose this kind of behaviour. It 's all about "getting you knee down". I was brought up watching On Any Sunday which promoted a more soulful biking experience.

Hold on! I think I'm getting old!!! Now where's that Harley brochure?

DesmoDog
16-04-2006, 08:35 AM
I move out of the way for filtering bikes in the tunnel queue that I have to endure every day. In a car it takes between 40-140 minutes to get through by car, about 5 by bike. You can be sure that as I zig, someone else zags.

Point to note is that almost every day the same bikes come past. A kid on a fizzy of some sort, a bloke on a huge blue armchair with hard panniers, and a couple of plastic fantastics. Now, with exception of one of the plastics, they all seem to act like bloody idiots, they filter (well, hoon down the white line) at speed and never thank you for moving over. I saw the bloke on the armchair take a wingmirror and dent a second car when he tried to race through a gap last summer and he's never learned yet.

I drive my car more than my bike and my experiences on my bike have made me really look out for bikes when changing lanes etc. That said, I still get a shock when the little twat on the fizzy flies throughthe traffic and I fully expect to see him under someones range rover soon. Most drivers will not look in their mirrors when stuck in traffic except to check out the other driver (is he picking his noes etc etc).

Bit of a rant, but I'm following Pugis lead here. I'll be ahem, filtering through the tunnel traffic soon and I have no doubt I'll get pissed off with the car drivers - that said, I have every sympathy with them getting pissed off with me because of the way a couple of "I can so I will" types have acted on the daily slog.

Rant over - its Easter weekend, my kids got me up at the crack of dawn to hunt for bloody eggs choosing once again to wake me instead of Mrs Dog (I think she pays them), its been sunny all weekend and my bike is of the road again, AND I'm over forty. I'm allowed to be grumpy!

Bah

oh and another thing - while I wouldn't be able to keep up with that R1, I'd try to get the bastards plate. That sort of behaviour is just bloody stupid. By all means kill yourself in a drystone wall/power ranger interface, but don't take anyone with you. I hate that sort of behaviour, I hope it took the R1 rider all day to scrape the cack out of their leathers.

I'm off to confiscate easter eggs before the little monster go into choclate overdrive and break something else.

benson
16-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Wise words everyone - it's difficult to behave at times as we all know - but the risk is huge. On the Buell forum there's 20 odd pages dedicated to Finmows, a guy who has been really badly hurt in an accident on the A419 last weekend. No one knows what happened but a porshce was involved, an arrest has been made and Finmows bike is totalled and he's in hospital - always lessons to learn....