PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Florida

Byron Kauffman
13-04-2006, 05:18 AM
I had a few emails from the group checking to see if I was still alive.
I have not found a replacement Monster yet but keep looking for the right bike. I did pick up a 1973 Yamaha RD 350 a few months ago. It has pipes and a hot motor so it is loud and obnoxious, not unlike its new owner. It will be fun transport until I find a new project. Daytona Bike Week was pretty good this year with nice weather. My brother lives 1000 miles away and hasnt been here in 8 years but this year he brought his 1976 RD400. It was fun to blow blue smoke in the mix of all the HD riders on Main street. Did any UKMOC members make it here for Bike Week?
As in the past I will put a photo CD together and send it over to Terry so he can pass it around.
If the exchange rates get reasonable I would like to get back over to your side. I would like to get to a few UKMOC meets and a decent pint of Guinness. No pub in Florida that can pour a decent pint unless you actually want 4" of foam.

Pedro
13-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Good to hear from you Byron!

I do lik your choice of bike too! Early RD's were such good fun, I had a YAS3 125cc Yam when I was a lad, great fun, all noise and blue smoke!

Ped

spacemonkey
13-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Ah, 2 strokes and it's over... memories of mispent youth...

Glad to hear you're still around mate!

Byron Kauffman
13-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Hello Pedro and Space;

Good to hear from you. I agree that 2 strokes are a blast. Over the years I have had 2 1979 RD400F "Daytona Specials" over here but I dont think they were sold over there. Also a 1984 RZ500LC that I tore apart and put in the Marlboro race colors, I had a RZV aluminum frame and other trick stuff i scrounged, a YSR50 that I put a YZ80LC motor in and was good for 80mph. My brother also had a Daytona Special, the first 84 RZ350LC in the US and the RD400 he now has is his second time owning it. All original unrestored bike with the exception of chambers installed at the dealer when it was new. So having a RD in the garage again is fun but I would like a monster in there too. The RD is good for around town stuff but I wouldnt do a 1300 mile run like I did with the monster.
I hope to find one soon and can start cutting all over again. Last time I heard my old bike is still sitting for sale in its bent condition just as it was when he hit it. Next month will be a year.

Byron Kauffman
13-04-2006, 03:56 PM
On a side note.... did the UKMOC computer have a meltdown? I noticed my Avitar is looking quite strange. It used to be a photo of the Monster now it look more like a Jackson Pollock painting.

fatbloke
13-04-2006, 04:06 PM
On a side note.... did the UKMOC computer have a meltdown? I noticed my Avitar is looking quite strange. It used to be a photo of the Monster now it look more like a Jackson Pollock painting.
Hi Byron
Hope your well
yup the UKMOC site's had a few problems, and a lot of the avatars got
screwed, easy cure just upload a new one.
The pics you can now upload yourself on to the new Gallery give it a test spin
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/photopost/

gary tompkins
13-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Byron,

Good to see you back on on the UKMOC scene and posting again :thumbsup:

Fodder
13-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Nice to hear from you Byron

Was the RZ 350 LC the same as the RD 350 LC over in the UK? I had a couple of those, great fun especially the ypvs version (cue the tuts from the purists);) . My mate had a Kenny roberts coloured RD 400E which I thought was the conkers when I was about 17 used to love the crackle of the allspeeds, it used to scare me ****less, I think that was when I realised how fast bikes could be as I was a lowly 12hp learner at the time after all. I guess judging by the bikes i've had since then it obviously didn't scare me that much afterall:D mmmm now where can I find an old stroker to do up.

claicerrig
13-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Byron

Croeso o Cymru :spin:

Nice to see you back on site :D :D

Funny Tony asked yesterday if i had heard from you recently.....

Are you comming over ? Theres a bed here for you any time and its only 99 mins by fast ferry right into the Hartlands land of Guinness Dublin :drunk: :drunk:

Chat to to longer soon

Dave:D

Byron Kauffman
14-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Hello GT, I see by your avitar that you have the trike on the road and looking good.

Hi Dave and Tony. I appreciate the offer of a room. I will let you know if I can get a decent price over your way. keep me posted if you head this way, you have a room here too.

Fodder; I think the RZ350LC that we got was the same as your RD350LC. It was the YPVS bike. In the US Yamaha 2 strokes ended in 1979 with the RD400F "Daytona Special" (pearl white with red stripe like the European TZ paint scheme). We didnt get 2 strokes again until 1984 when the RZ came out. It had cataletic converters in the pipes that you could see glowing at night and were great for burning your legs and your helmet when on the holder. The first year it was available in the Yellow/Black Kenny Roberts flat track colors and a more rare red/white/red scheme similar to the RD500LC sold in Germany. The next year went to White/red colors in the same layout as the KR. The bike only sold for 2 or 3 years before emission rulles killed it again. We never got the RZ500LC YPVS here legally because they couldnt put cats in the upper pipes without setting fire to the bike. My 500 came in from Canada as many others along with Suzuki Gammas and Honda NSR400s. I sold it when parts started getting scarce.
I like your version Yellow Black bodywork for the older RD. I saw photos of the RD50 from your side and it looks very cool. We never got that scheme for some unkown reason.

NattyBoy
14-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Good to hear from you mate - hope you get 're-monstered' soon !

Nat

gary tompkins
14-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Hello GT, I see by your avitar that you have the trike on the road and looking good.

Thanks Byron -yes it's officially on the road now. Still got a few odds 'n' sods jobs to finish, but it's pretty much sorted. Theres more photo's in the re-vamped UKMOC Gallery if you want to check it out in more detail?