PDA

View Full Version : Sportclassic GT

MilesB
12-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Just seen the images off the production GT1000 Sportclassic
http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatiuk/en/bikes/model.jhtml?model=1263

Previously only in silver/grey, it wasn't too inspiring, but in RED - Now that's NICE :thumbsup:

emily's driver
12-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Not sure whether the pictures on the web have visually truncated the bike in length, but as it is, it looks like an MZ! Still it is at least a fresh design, albeit one based on a compilation of older ideas. Something that Ducati need to continually do, as they cannot survive solely on the sales of evolving existing designs, as reports on the company's recent financial state have shown (recent sale by TPG of their stake aside).

The 916 & Monster have served them well thus far, but ultimately there will come a time when certain models (as the 916 already has) will have to make way for their inevitable successors. Hopefully they will generate the same level of interest as the forthcoming HyperMotard has, as opposed to the apathetic response that the 999 received when publically released.

Whichever way you slice it, the 916 was a hard act to follow, as doubtless the Monster will be, when it's next incarnation hits the drawing board (allegedly in late 2007, if the Italian press are to be believed).

nealenet
14-04-2006, 12:25 AM
As most bikes sold these days are essentially toys. The one thing they simply must have is the "phoarrr!" factor. They must visually excite. I really don't know who will be excited by the GT. That is the problem with the 999. It simply doesn't look exciting enough. It may well ride rings round a 998 or an R1 but so what? Thats why we all love monsters and all manufacturers have tried to copy the monster, it just looks like the essence of motorcyling.
Why has thae GT go all that space between the rear tyre and the underneath of the seat, It looks like a wierd riding position.

gary tompkins
14-04-2006, 11:43 PM
I've got to admit that the first time I saw photos of the GT I was very un-impressed. Sad to say that hasn't changed much TBH, and I think this picture makes it look like the things lashed together from different bikes using photoshop?

The arse end looks like it's been taken from an early 80's trial bike. I assume it must also have a very tall seat with all that fresh air above the wheel?

The side panels don't look too bad - a bit like the original GT, but they need a slap for that tank!!!:twak: The shape is just horrible, and having it slanting down at the front makes it even worse - yuk!

The front end is very monster - even down to the 'superb' micky mouse mirrors :rolleyes: and the front mudguard neatly done. I actually prefer the GT's twin chrome pipes to the huge stacked pair the Sport Classic wears, but other than that far prefer the Classic's style.

Shauns4
15-04-2006, 12:20 AM
yes, MZ comes to mind, there is no waiting list for this bike I wonder why?

S4Rs-Tone
15-04-2006, 07:32 AM
ive got 2 agree with every derogatory on this bike, it is an mz and it is still very crap in red, not everything produced in the 70s was a design classic . i wonder how many of these sold in the uk in the 70s, there were alot more better lookin machines about.:thumbsdown: PS, please dont give my details to ducati i dont want mafioso at my door.i will deny everything!:D