PDA

View Full Version : DP ECU for 620ie????

dlloyduk
12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi does anyone know if there is a DP ECU available for the 620 engine.
I know one is available as part of a kit with DP filter,open airbox and Termi's but I have all those already and can't seem to find the ECU seperately.
Part No,s or contacts would be usefull if you have the Kit fitted to your 620.
Cheers,
Darrin
:thumbsup:

Gilps
12-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I had the same problem. I bought the termis plus air filter and ecu from an S4r to fit on my s2r. I fitted a power commander which i think was a better option than trying to get an ECU as I think it gives better perfromance. The downside is the cost. You will need about £350 to have one fitted and dyno run it. They can be picked up from ebay, often USA, for £150, then fit it yourself. Then spend about £40 on the dyno set up.
I've got a spare ECU now but I don't think it will be any use for you.

dlloyduk
12-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for that. I may go for the ultimap ECU but want to check out prices of the DP ECU first. If I can get one seperatly.

Zimbo
12-04-2006, 10:37 AM
It's probably worth doing a dyno run with your existing ECU first, you may well find you don't actually need to change the ECU. As I understand it the fueling map contained within the standard ECU on the 620 is pretty flexible and often able to cope with free flowing cans and air filter, more so than on the bigger bikes.

sadbiker
12-04-2006, 01:52 PM
The DP high levels and open filter kit do not come with an ECU, seems it is not required and there is some form of adjustment which tweaks it enough.

emily's driver
14-04-2006, 11:22 AM
I fitted Termi end cans onto Nonnie's 620ie, and there is no ECU change required, as despite the difference in the flow rate of gas through the exhaust system, the fuelling map in the standard ECU, is broad enough to cope, negating any need to change it. I can't advise you on other systems, as I did not change the downpipes, but were there any fuelling problems on your bike, I suspect most of them could be ironed out if the bike is connected up to the "mathesis" (SP?) which is Ducati's version of a diagnostic computer that allows a limited number of changes to be made to the fuel metering and CO levels. Beyond that a new map (ECU) would perhaps likely be needed.

dlloyduk
14-04-2006, 12:14 PM
I would have thought the that the DP ecu would have other advantages over the standard one. I,m surprised that no one seems to have tried one.

crust
14-04-2006, 02:56 PM
This comes up every so often and I'm always confused by peoples responses.

As I understand it, the Ducati EFI system on monsters is an open loop system.

It has two sensors, throttle position and temperature.

AFAIK there is no lambda sensor in the exhaust.

So how does it 'know' to adjust for changes in the silencers?

Sure, an engine will run with far from optimum fueling ratios but, without longterm damage?

:confused: Crust

dlloyduk
14-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Crust, I would tend to agree that the map of the standard ECU could give a usable map but would expect that the dp one would be mapped to provide more or less fuel in different areas of the rev range. I still think it would be better to use a ecu that could be mapped on a dyno. But thought this would be nearer than a standard ecu.

crust
14-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Crust, I would tend to agree that the map of the standard ECU could give a usable map but would expect that the dp one would be mapped to provide more or less fuel in different areas of the rev range. I still think it would be better to use a ecu that could be mapped on a dyno. But thought this would be nearer than a standard ecu.

I think you're quite right.

I just dont understand how people think a standard ECU is going to 'adjust' to a change in cans/air filter etc.

It has no way of knowing anything has been changed, so will continue to use the standard map.

A Ducati dealer can use a mathesis tester to adjust it but thats a manual change.

Yes, it may well run, but how well?

A DP ECU is a good idea, having it mapped on a dyno is the only way to be sure the fueling is correct.

:) Crust

Gilps
14-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I think you're quite right.

I just dont understand how people think a standard ECU is going to 'adjust' to a change in cans/air filter etc.

It has no way of knowing anything has been changed, so will continue to use the standard map.

A Ducati dealer can use a mathesis tester to adjust it but thats a manual change.

Yes, it may well run, but how well?

A DP ECU is a good idea, having it mapped on a dyno is the only way to be sure the fueling is correct.

:) Crust
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the ECU will sense a change in cans etc. but that it can be "tweaked" by a dealer to get the correct fuel/air mix. My very limited understanding is that the standard ECU has a certain degree of adjustment, and that the ECU supplied with the Termis has a different range of adjustment. I work on the basis that if the standard ECU could be adjusted enough then they wouldn't supply a new one. I dont understand why they cannot build the functionality of a Power Commander into the ECU in the first place.