PDA

View Full Version : Seat Lowering

Fran
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Was wondering if any of you guys/gals knew of anyone on the west coast who does this? Im teensy ... and since coming off my620ie in october, my confidence has gone, and would feel much better if i could get two feet firmly on the ground. I thought about lowering the seat first to see if that would help, before going to the extremes of getting the suspension lowered.
Any suggestions?

tamtbam@hotmail
11-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Apart from that you could eat loads of curries, that'll put the weight on.
Know what you mean about confidence going. Ihad a bang in Kuwait and after i got back on it took about a month before i thashed it again.
Keep yur pecker up Fran and it'll come back to you, that's if the bloody weather changes.

marchesini
11-04-2006, 10:02 PM
A forum member wanted to swap seats - offering a low one for a standard one for the pricely sum of zero pence. Might be worth a look:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=16834

Also look for a company called Bum Wraps who can cut down you seat and while their at it, cover it in some snazzy like a different coloured vinyl or perhaps something ironic like leopard print. As well as the height, I would take some off the width or 'girth' as it is known in some quarters. Once you are moving you can slide back into the wider comfy part of the seat and the narrow part at the front is perfick for traffic lights. Seem to remember it was about £50-£60.

If alcantara (a faux suede) tickles you fancy, a fellow called Glyn on the DSC (Ducati Sporting Club) does a cracking job - for about £30 if I remember correctly - as long as you are happy with grey or black. The material itself is about £80 a metre :eek:

One last thing to think about is to find a second hand one and do tghe cutting yourself and then just get it covered. At least then you'll know it's the right height. Try to avoid lowering the suspension if you can as it'll not ride as well.

Hope this helps

simon

NattyBoy
12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Or you could wear stacked heels like simon...:chuckle: :chuckle: (sorry bud !!)

On a serious note - plenty of people on here have had their seats modded so you should be fine..

Cheers
Nat

sidestand
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
buy a mcn that will give you all the companys that do that type of work:thumbsup:

singletrack
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Have you got Daytona Ladystar boots? They are built up inside and give you an extra few centimetres. (I even know a guy who wears them).

Fran
02-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Tam, i do love curries but unfortunately intentional weight gain for me is a no no I'll have you know...i'm female afterall. :p
John, in all the weeks that ive bought mcn i've never read the supplement... and when i did could'nt find anyone listed for west coast!! :look:
Anne thanks for the info on the daytona ladystars... will have a look out for them.
Simon, cheers for the info. I decided to get a 2nd hand seat to get it modified. I checked the part number of the seat as its off a 2000 900 model and it matched mines....but the fitting is a loop style and my 2004 620ie is a pin, did'nt realise it would have been different! :dunce: Ive been on to Ducati Glasgow and seemingly Ducati dont do replacement pins????
I was wondering if anyone has a spare pin lying around that i could possibly buy? I eventually managed to find a place on the west coast Blazin Saddles who is gonna do the mod for me.... if im lucky to get a pin!!

tamtbam@hotmail
05-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Tam, i do love curries but unfortunately intentional weight gain for me is a no no I'll have you know...i'm female afterall. :p
John, in all the weeks that ive bought mcn i've never read the supplement... and when i did could'nt find anyone listed for west coast!! :look:
Anne thanks for the info on the daytona ladystars... will have a look out for them.
Simon, cheers for the info. I decided to get a 2nd hand seat to get it modified. I checked the part number of the seat as its off a 2000 900 model and it matched mines....but the fitting is a loop style and my 2004 620ie is a pin, did'nt realise it would have been different! :dunce: Ive been on to Ducati Glasgow and seemingly Ducati dont do replacement pins????
I was wondering if anyone has a spare pin lying around that i could possibly buy? I eventually managed to find a place on the west coast Blazin Saddles who is gonna do the mod for me.... if im lucky to get a pin!!

Scuse me for bein daft but can't you slave the pin off your original seat and fit it to the one you've bought:idea:
And no i'm not posing aspirations about your brain capacity Fran:mand:

Fran
05-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Tam.... I may be blondish!!!! LOL. I did think about that... but want to keep original seat incase i say bye bye to it at some point!

ricky
05-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I dont mean to be nosey but im tiny too and am gettin used to the ride height more everyday, i was rammed from behind (oerr behave!) by a car and still managed to hold the bike up!! :eek: its the reach to the bars that im changing as its to long for me!!

Fran
05-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Ricky.... read bout your lil spat..... hope the rear end is doin ok !! Glad it was'nt too serious for ya.
Im 5ft 3.5..... got to get that half inch in !!! and a weakling ..lol. Since coming off the bike last year my confidence is shot..... and problem being im not out on it alot. Im a fairweather lass.... and livin here we dont see much sun.....apart from today...and theres loads of bikes out and me fingers and toes are twitchin!!!

ricky
05-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey Ricky.... read bout your lil spat..... hope the rear end is doin ok !! Glad it was'nt too serious for ya.
Im 5ft 3.5..... got to get that half inch in !!! and a weakling ..lol. Since coming off the bike last year my confidence is shot..... and problem being im not out on it alot. Im a fairweather lass.... and livin here we dont see much sun.....apart from today...and theres loads of bikes out and me fingers and toes are twitchin!!!
Aw your MASSIVE!! a whole inch taller than me!! :cry: Its not fair!!
Seriously though i dont blame ya for wantin it done then, it helps your confidence when your feet touch the ground! Not that i would know of course!!:banghead: :chuckle:

Fran
03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
The sun arrived here today, so plucked up the courage to get out on the Monnie. Bit wobbly to begin with, but considering its been 8months i reckon i did not too bad..the lowered seat definately makes a difference. Anyways.... cant wait till tomorrow and hopefully more sunshine and im out to clock up the miles !!! :chuckle:

Chappers
03-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Try the Daytona Ladystar boots as they have a heel inside.

Try skimming the seat.

Try Ducati Leeds who can advise on a adjustable link/hoop for the rear of the bike and can adjust the forks as per what they did for Jane's bike (PM her for more info).

I was really worried about collecting my new S2R yesterday as I can only get balls of feet on the floor but I'm fine with it already, just shift my big butt over to one side when stationary or doing slow manouvers but I must admit still not happy with fannying around with parking on uneven surfaces yet as I figured out at mum's tonight.

The Kevlar Kid
03-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I must admit still not happy with fannying around with parking

Cue joke about women drivers ;)

Errr ahem...

:twak:

Chappers
03-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Cue joke about women drivers ;)

Errr ahem...

:twak:

You jest but thank got my mother was standing to the right of me when I was stepping it back whilst trying to park and my foot went down a dip :hail:

Dave G
04-06-2006, 08:28 AM
If your out today Fran (sunday) Ducati Glasgow have organised a run up to aberfeldy or thereabouts,just turn up at the shop by 10am,I'm headed south to meet a 749 rider at Newton Stewart around 12.
And the weather looks good!

Fran
04-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Dave, cheers for info. Just breaking meself in gently tho ....clocked up a few miles with a RAT in tow!! Got back in time to catch Moto GP and BSB... one day I may pluck up the courage to ride along with the big Ducati Boys !!! :spin:

Mrs Soup
05-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Fran

It is just a matter of confidence, when I got the 600 I'd not ridden a bike for about 10 years and felt exactly the same. I have had the suspension lowered on both the 600 and the S2R, which for me was easier than mucking about with the seat.

The lower standard seat gives you about 10mm, and you can get a bit more by dropping the forks in the yokes and winding a bit of preload off. Also check to see if you can wind the bolts any further in on the suspension. As you're 2 inches taller than me you should get enough to give you confidence without mechanical mods.

Fran
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks Jane....just wish i could by a bottle of confidence over the counter !! ,but will check to see if the bolts can be wound down any further. Im feeling a bit more positive now........been out on the Monnie 3 days in a row clocking up the miles... have been taking me brave pills as prescribe !! Hopefully the more I ride...the more confident I'll be !

tamtbam@hotmail
06-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks Jane....just wish i could by a bottle of confidence over the counter !! ,but will check to see if the bolts can be wound down any further. Im feeling a bit more positive now........been out on the Monnie 3 days in a row clocking up the miles... have been taking me brave pills as prescribe !! Hopefully the more I ride...the more confident I'll be !

If you fancy a buzz aboot let me know Fran. Came off on the dun run on the 14th of last month and broke me neck in 2 places plus a couple of bust ribs. The neck brace will be off in 3 weeks and the babe will be fit to ride again so i'll need a nice longish run to get back in the saddle.
Could have 2 quiverin wrecks beside each other. lol.

Fran
10-06-2006, 11:27 PM
Hey Tam... glad to hear you and the babe are on the mend..... id be game for a buzz aboot.....weather permitting !!! lol. I know yer keen to get back on the babe but won't u have to have some physio beforehand? Im gonna be Stateside end june/beg july but will be back in time for BSB at knockhill and will catch up with you then. Take care me fellow quiverin wreck !! lol :on:

tamtbam@hotmail
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Tam... glad to hear you and the babe are on the mend..... id be game for a buzz aboot.....weather permitting !!! lol. I know yer keen to get back on the babe but won't u have to have some physio beforehand? Im gonna be Stateside end june/beg july but will be back in time for BSB at knockhill and will catch up with you then. Take care me fellow quiverin wreck !! lol :on:

It'll have to be Knockhill then. Forgot about the neck strainin after it comes off. Think this resembles how i hit the dyke wall:banghead: and how i felt after:cry:
Enjoy the states but remember there beers crap:mand: :mand: