PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Europe ...

Lady-Bob
11-04-2006, 10:43 AM
I fancy going over to Europe for a couple of days just to have a ride around with a bit of scenery for my first ride abroad.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where is friendly to ride and a good biker B&B or hotel along the way?

Would also be interested in your opinions on ferry vs. eurtunnel for cost/comfort (not that I like long dark tunnels.... nor ships that make me go green either but I guess one of them is going to be necessary!)

Yorkie
11-04-2006, 11:08 AM
On the ferry the bikes are strapped down by the crew most of the time i used to stand and watch them do it just to make sure they didnt damage it.

As for the train i think i just stood by the bike.

Comfort is on the boat, speed is by rail.

Get to FR**CE and head south, the weather is usually better, but watch your speed.

I used to go to Germany quite a lot, the long way. Yorkshire-Dover-Calais-Fatherland. A long time in the saddle, but i thought the journey was worth it.

Yorkie.

CK & AK
11-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Bob, a good 1st trip is Portsmouth - Cherbourg.
A nice bimble off the ferry south to St Mere Eglise (still got a parachutist hanging from the chrch in the town square, must be a dummy! ;) ) & pretty town to wander through.

Plenty of nice cheap accomodation in St Lo further down the road (only about 100k from the ferry in total) - with good roads to rideout to the Normandy beaches, see the huge memorials, also not far to Bayeux (of the tapestry fame). Great local eateries.

Where ever you go - have a good time:)

C

Bodybag
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
I'm off there tomorrow morning for 4 days. I'll let you know how it fares as a good biker destination when I get back on Sunday evening. :-) ROute so far is Leicester to Holyhead, Ferry to Dublin, blag it for 4 nights and come home on Sunday. Perhaps more planning might be needed next trip?! :twak:

eonan
11-04-2006, 02:07 PM
I fancy going over to Europe for a couple of days just to have a ride around with a bit of scenery for my first ride abroad.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where is friendly to ride and a good biker B&B or hotel along the way?

Would also be interested in your opinions on ferry vs. eurtunnel for cost/comfort (not that I like long dark tunnels.... nor ships that make me go green either but I guess one of them is going to be necessary!)

How about Holland? I know a great Glasgow girl, Linny. She runs a B&B for Bikers over there. She has a really good web site, with all sorts of help and advice on the best, and cheapest ways of getting over there, and really takes care of you when you're there...suggests all sorts of routes etc.

Here you go http://www.bikemotel.nl :thumbsup:

CK & AK
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
or, for a short & economical trip, you could try getting on the ferry at Southampton.........

across to the Isle of Wight! ;) :D

cant get lost there as the island isnt that big, deals for under £100 for at least 3 nights full board - including ferry too!! Going from Southampton takes longer too.....

they speak the same language, drive on the same side, and there are one or 2 nice roads thrown in...

Just an idea to throw your way, if you have 2 or 3 days to spare....

sorry, I'll get my coat...

C:D

bigredduke
11-04-2006, 05:06 PM

try www.speedferries.com, they are fantastic value and only 50 mins. crossing from Dover to Boulogne.

You won't get far in two days. A lot of northern France is extremely tedious, flat & boring. Try to head for Brittany, wonderful coastline and great seafood! The downside is the weather can be very much like the West of Ireland.
Good luck!

gary tompkins
11-04-2006, 06:01 PM
The Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferries or Seacat are a bit of a rip off TBH @ £150 (ish) for bike + rider, and there isn't a very good choice of crossing time these days either.

Dover to Calais or Boulogne is usually the cheapest ferry crossing, with the Calais route at around £45 return at present. But this could leave you with a lot of riding (and petrol expense) to deal with on the other side depending on your final destination?

You find everybody is a lot more friendly towards bikes & bikers on the continent, even plod often gives you a nod or thumbs up as you ride past. Just watch the kph speed limits (especially the 20kph ones in town) and treat junctions & roundabouts with extra caution and you should be ok.

Also make sure you keep your lights on, carry spare bulbs, first aid kit etc... as this has been a legal requirement for some time now.

Most large towns have a good choice of hotels or B&B's, and the prices are very affordable compared to the UK. It is a good idea to book in advance though - especially at peak periods like school & bank holidays.

Lady-Bob
18-04-2006, 02:39 PM
These are all great suggestions and tips thanks guys. .Someone has mentioned a biker motel in Brugge?

Indoor parking for the bike by your room apparently... anyone heard of it or know what it's called?

Dribbley
18-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Best place for a couple of days is the Ardenne region of Belgium.

Not far to go, lots of bendy roads, chips, hills, chips, forest, chips, and lots of biker friendly B&B and pubs etc.

This might be the place you have heard of http://www.grd.be/motorhotel/default.htm

Lady-Bob
19-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Best place for a couple of days is the Ardenne region of Belgium.

Not far to go, lots of bendy roads, chips, hills, chips, forest, chips, and lots of biker friendly B&B and pubs etc.

This might be the place you have heard of http://www.grd.be/motorhotel/default.htm

That looks a lot like it. The indoor parking is how I imagined it would be. Thanks

abbeyalto
19-04-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm off there tomorrow morning for 4 days. I'll let you know how it fares as a good biker destination when I get back on Sunday evening. :-) ROute so far is Leicester to Holyhead, Ferry to Dublin, blag it for 4 nights and come home on Sunday. Perhaps more planning might be needed next trip?! :twak:

How did your trip go? I might be off there for a week or so at the end of August, so any info you've got will be very useful for me!

Cheers

Benjy

Lady-Bob
19-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Is Plum still about???

How long does it take by Ferry to get to jersey/Guernsey?? Is it expensive?

Marky
16-02-2007, 05:42 PM
As Charlotte says Portsmouth to Cherbourg and down to St Lo and St Mare Eglise is a great route but as Gary says Portsmouth to Cherbourg is an expensive ferry trip now.

Bruges is a great place and a few of us 18 months ago stayed at biker friendly B&B where we were able to keep up bikes locked up in a secure garage. Bruges is a beautiful city with great cuisine and mad beers BUT be aware that it's the world's worst one-way system getting in and out of Brugges so we left the bikes in the garage. One of our group wasn't confident on one-way cobbled streets.

As we left Brugges we worked out a much easier route to get in and out of the city.

Timewise, allow 45 mins for Dover to Calais crossing (£40-odd as Gary said), allow an hour to ride from France to Bruges. We went the direct route but I'm sure the scenic route would be much more fun.

hotel place we stayed was Hotel Fevery. Check out their reviews on www.tripadvisor.com, it averages about 4.5 stars out of 5 from loads of reviews.

Hotel is www.hotelfevery.be

I've always fancied Ghent, about 2 hours from Calais? Ghent's meant to be a well cool place, very medieval but not as touristy as Bruges.

Got me thinking, anyone from UKMOC (i.e. CK, Gary etc) up for a trip to Ghent?

Cheers!
Marky

slob
16-02-2007, 06:52 PM
How about Holland? I know a great Glasgow girl, Linny. She runs a B&B for Bikers over there. She has a really good web site, with all sorts of help and advice on the best, and cheapest ways of getting over there, and really takes care of you when you're there...suggests all sorts of routes etc.

Here you go http://www.bikemotel.nl :thumbsup:

just look at those twisting mountain roads
http://www.bikemotel.nl/cms_uk/images/stories/front_air.jpg

bigredduke
16-02-2007, 06:55 PM
just look at those twisting mountain roads
http://www.bikemotel.nl/cms_uk/images/stories/front_air.jpg

Methinks a Harley would be more appropriate.

CK & AK
16-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Cheers!
Marky

Marky - you know we'd love to accompany you anywhere:D

But.......... we are just about to the hilt in annual leave, as so much is for racing etc:( (we do have a week to ourselves in Sept tho - we hope!!)

Why not come along on the Assen trip - dump your stuff with us & go on trips out on the Fri/Sat before the big race on the Sun (see dates in the race section). I have already booked the ferry for early Thurs morning that week :eek:

C:)

Marky
19-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi CK,

I'm booked for Cyprus from June 3rd to June 10th although I probably wouldn't be that interested in doing a WSB/MotoGP meet, I much prefer the St Lo kind of idea, you know riding around and exploring the 'B' roads during the day.

If your holiday plans change at all then let me know.

Good luck with Team Knight for 2007!

Cheers for now
Marky

CK & AK
19-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Hi CK,

I'm booked for Cyprus from June 3rd to June 10th although I probably wouldn't be that interested in doing a WSB/MotoGP meet, I much prefer the St Lo kind of idea, you know riding around and exploring the 'B' roads during the day.

If your holiday plans change at all then let me know.

Good luck with Team Knight for 2007!

Cheers for now
Marky

That isnt a WSB/GP weekend mate - its the annual Dutch Ducati fest - Ducati's ONLY on track for 3 whole days!! :D you should hear the packed paddock... from 7am till midnight.... :eek:

I know what you mean tho - must try & sort out summat eh?

gjfevans
19-02-2007, 09:43 PM
I've always fancied Ghent, about 2 hours from Calais? Ghent's meant to be a well cool place, very medieval but not as touristy as Bruges.

Cheers!
Marky[/QUOTE]

If you like to party then the Ghent Festival is the place to go
http://www.gentsefeesten.be/english/index.htm
Ten days of live music, street theatre and drinking. I have been three times now over the years for long weekends (I dont think I could last much longer) and I cannot begin to tell you how good it is. Very well organised and policed with lots of free entertainment and fantastic Belgium beers all in the centre of the historic city:booze: :drunk:

bad-yeti
02-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Bob, a good 1st trip is Portsmouth - Cherbourg.
A nice bimble off the ferry south to St Mere Eglise (still got a parachutist hanging from the chrch in the town square, must be a dummy! ;) ) & pretty town to wander through.

Plenty of nice cheap accomodation in St Lo further down the road (only about 100k from the ferry in total) - with good roads to rideout to the Normandy beaches, see the huge memorials, also not far to Bayeux (of the tapestry fame). Great local eateries.

Where ever you go - have a good time:)

C

Did a similar trip last year, but did Dover, Calais Then to a little town called Le Crotoy (Lovely little village and the Hotel is cheap with a lockup for bikes), then on to St Mere Eglise and then basically messed around northern France for 4 days, then to Cherbourg and home.

The French seem to be alot more Bike friendly people wave etc and more to the point they seem to notice you and give you plenty of room, it totally changes my perspective of them.

One thing to bear in mind (sorry if covered didn't read whole post) quite alot of the gas stations are automated and only allow French Credit Cards, we got caught out and stranded without fuel as a result....lol you should see me n a 748 with a fuel can bungied to the tank. :rolleyes:

sadbiker
02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Get out clause is wait for Car to turn up and politely ask if they could put in 10 euros worth.... Had to do this for same reason couple of years ago.

Linny600
02-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Well, guess none of you decided to drop us a line here....

and just for those of you who don't know... we do actually have twisties... and we ain't far from some really nice forests and twisty hilly roads in the North of Germany...

Speak nice to me an I'll even let you use the Tom Tom with a pre planned tour!! :)