PDA

View Full Version : Uploading photo's..... or not

Dave G
10-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Everytime I try and post up an image whether in a thread or the gallery I hit a filesize limit,I appreciate why its there but it makes posting pictures a real pain in the bum and, frankly, not worth doing, especially if you want to post more than one.
If the filesize must remain why cant some automatic resizing or something be put in place to make it easier,I tried to resize some myself but gave up after a few goes.
I know I could always ask a mod to do this but its work for them and a hassle for us.
Any ideas?

tommo
10-04-2006, 09:02 PM
i spent the winter months fettling the bike and would like to be able to show the pics, but i niether have the time/knowledge or patience to do it:thumbsdown:
cant we have the old system back?:hail:

JMo
10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
The problem is server space - the UKMOC site is already huge!

Fatbloke is looking into an automatic resize facility, but in the meantime, you could always host your pictures at somewhere like Photobucket.com and link to them?

Otherwise, try reducing your image to around 350 pixels wide - as long as you don't save them at max resolution, then Jpegs ought to work that sort of size...

xxx

ricky
10-04-2006, 09:25 PM
................... im small enough already!! did you not see all the abuse i got when i posted a pic??:hissy:

Dave G
11-04-2006, 11:09 AM
The problem is JMo, I dont have any way to resize pictures to a particular size I can reduce them,and reduce them,...,and reduce them some more until I end up with something the size of your avatar but still bigger than the limit.
But its not worth the effort and I end up not bothering,if I had to walk half a mile to get on my bike I'm sure it wouldn't get used half as much as it does.
Shame really,it takes away the spontaneity and enthusiasm of posting up images I'm proud of.

JMo
11-04-2006, 11:49 AM
I totally agree with you Dave - it is frustrating as either the size or the clarity does suffer... I'd like to be able to post a 6x4 inch image (on screen) as anything smaller you can't see who's who and what's what...

I think the problem you may be having is that when you save the smaller imageas a Jpeg, it is not compressing it enough - don't know if there is a PC guru on here who can offer any advice in that respect?

I hope this software programme FB is looking into will sort that problem, as a big fuzzy image would be as bad as a tiny one really...

Fingers crossed anyway...

xxx

Julie
11-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Everytime I try and post up an image whether in a thread or the gallery I hit a filesize limit,I appreciate why its there but it makes posting pictures a real pain in the bum and, frankly, not worth doing, especially if you want to post more than one.
If the filesize must remain why cant some automatic resizing or something be put in place to make it easier,I tried to resize some myself but gave up after a few goes.
I know I could always ask a mod to do this but its work for them and a hassle for us.
Any ideas?

Can you just post all your photos in the gallery? i have not had a file size issue in the new gallery and we all get our own folder.

Dave G
11-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Thats where I was trying Julie,and got the same problems as posting them in a thread.
The filesize its asking me for is about 50 odd K which is tiny,all my pictures are jpegs and I've no great issues posting them elsewhere.

fatbloke
11-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Thats where I was trying Julie,and got the same problems as posting them in a thread.
The filesize its asking me for is about 50 odd K which is tiny,all my pictures are jpegs and I've no great issues posting them elsewhere.
Dave send all your pics to me terry@ukmonster.co.uk I'll resize & compress
them and send them back, It only takes a few seconds to do loads>
(Thanks to RogerG for telling me how)

MilesB
11-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Dave send all your pics to me terry@ukmonster.co.uk I'll resize & compress
them and send them back, It only takes a few seconds to do loads>
(Thanks to RogerG for telling me how)
Not wanting to disturb MrGs nuptuals, could you pass that info/method on to all of us...

I have to do it using Corel Draw, resampling (to reduce size), then saving with compression (loss of quality) - takes a couple of minutes to do each image - and then I have to check the properties of each file to check the actual size is less than 50K. It works, eventually, but its all a bit of a pain really.

Miles

fatbloke
11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Roger has shown me how to bulk resize in Adobe Photoshop
I had to use actions and create a "droplet"
That all sound good but he had to talk me through it bit by bit!!
Theres no way I could show or tell you how to do it, its way way
above my skills. All i do now is drop the pics in a file and a few seconds
later they appear in another file all small and compressed.
Sorry

MilesB
11-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Roger has shown me how to bulk resize in Adobe Photoshop... All i do now is drop the pics in a file and a few seconds later they appear in another file all small and compressed.
Sorry
That's OK - can't blame a bloke for asking.

NewMon
11-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Irfanview has a simple resize/resample tool. It is also a very nice fast pic. viewer and free. www.irfanview.com

Pugi
11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm stupid too, but someone here said to get an account and upload my pictures to www.photobucket.com , and then link to them. So I did. Now my pictures don't take up server space for the UKMOC and the can be shown in their full glory without resizing.