PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion

JayT
09-04-2006, 06:47 PM
:shocked:

I've noticed a bit of corrosion on the engine casing of my M600 Dark. I've noticed a few spots where the paint is flaking off and it looks pure sh*t. Mostly around the oil filter area and the fins.

Has any1 else this problem, and is there remedy to is, as its only gonna get worse :on: .

Cheersin advance!

Shandy
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Don't panic, its a common thing ive seen alot on here before about it and mines quite bad too, have a search of the forums.

From what i remember im sure you can paint em back up to glory.

I'm sure someone will be along with good tips in a while.

Shandy

Scotty
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
itsa 'classic'
and ya fooked
new paint is the remady

ummm dooom and failure

CK & AK
09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
try a search for flaking paint - you wont be suprised as to how many threads you will find.................

S4Rs-Tone
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
i 2 have flaky paint on the front of my engine casing. and this is were i show my lack of mechanics its on a 75mm square bolt on piece in front of the engine . i used to be into mechanics, honest.would you say this is norma wear.

JayT
09-04-2006, 07:10 PM
cheers, i'll have look

Scotty
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
well thats how it starts dont ya know

http://www.drscott.plus.com/flake_001.jpg

Yorkie
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Always showing of your corrosion!! Mines better than yours!!

Yorkie.

CK & AK
09-04-2006, 07:49 PM
basically, there are 2 solutions:

1. If bike is still under warranty you can go to your dealer & get replacements for the parts of the engine that are affected, or accept a re-paint by your dealers local workshop

or

2. if out of warranty, do a diy job yourself, or get a local paint shop experienced in this to do it for you.

nb: if option 1: Ducati are aware it is an ongoing problem occuring on some bikes right across the ranges since 2002, with the monsters & multi's being the most affected.
Do NOT take a 'NO' from your dealer, and ask them to contact Ducati.
You may have to wait for the regional service engineer from Ducati to come out & take pics of the affected part of your bike, before any agreement can be done.
I have had both engine casings done on my M750ie in 2002 (as well as other parts) and also again on the M1000 when it was 2 months old in 2004 and large flakes came off.
It is worth noting, that if the bike does get done under warranty, and all is agreed, it might be worth you asking your dealer if its worth waiting till the next service is due which might keep him sweet, as warranty work does not pay him well at all. (means you can ride for longer in the spring/summer)
I got the go ahead for my 1st bike in the May, but waited till October for the work to be done, when the workshop wasnt so busy and I wasnt riding every day.
Should take about 1 day, though the dealer may require your bike for 2 days

Hope the above is of help.

C:)

S4Rs-Tone
09-04-2006, 08:01 PM
great help many thanks.