PDA

View Full Version : Do you keep your bike on the street?

Redkite2
06-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Hoping to get an S2R 1000 soon, but I live on the 3rd floor in a relatively quiet part of Amsterdam. This means I keep my bikes on the street, chained to a lamppost and always covered. The S2R will have a Spyball alarm fitted too. Is it worth the risk?
Financially speaking, the S2R 'only' costs 1000 euros more than my Hornet 900 new which has lived in front of my house for over 2 years now.
But a Ducati is probably a lot more tempting for thieves...
Looking at the bike theft statistics for NL, the Ducati does not rate high, it's the Blades and other sports bikes that top the list. Then again, more Hondas' en Yam's are sold than Ducati's, so it seems a bit meaningless anyway. Most Ducati riders I know are sunny day riders only, I'm out there in all weathers\seasons.
This is the one point that's holding me back from buying at the moment.
Would like to hear some of your opinions please. Cheers,
Stu

Scotty
06-04-2006, 08:45 PM
hummmm i wouldnt dare, seen as i live in, if not next to the land of scum. if i could do it easily it would be inside the house

depends just how BIG the chain is i recon

Pugi
06-04-2006, 08:54 PM
From what I hear most stolen bikes are chopped up and sold in bits. The most sought after pieces are fairings which get knackered after a tumble. But you have no fairings and Ducatis seem to be less totaled than your average japanese crotch rocket...