PDA

View Full Version : Shims for M800ie

bango
06-04-2006, 10:17 AM
This is my fisrt post here, so first of all, Hello!

I recently bought a 2002 M800ie Dark, my first Ducati, and i'm loving it. I took it to my local workshop for a full service - they aren't a Ducati dealership but I have known them for years and I know that they do a good job.

It turns out that they need to order some shims, but after ringing more than 10 ducati dealers and being told that they don't keep shims in stock, they have had to order direct from ducati - which is taking ages. And all the while the sun is shinning and i'm stuck without the use of the bike :(

Anyone had a similar problem? is getting hold of parts like this a common problem? any suggestions of other avenues i could try to get this sorted as quickly as possible?

ta in advance for any advice

Nick

Sparky
06-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm very surprised that they couln't get shims from Ducati Dealers. I service my own bike and got the shims I needed from St Neots motorcycles, from stock, only a few weeks ago. They appeared to have plenty of the sizes I asked for and are very helpful. Some parts can take a long time especially around August time as I think Italy goes on holiday then.

I would give them a call:

29-39 St.Mary's Street,
Eynesbury
St Neots
Cambridgeshire
PE19 2TA

Tel: 01480 212024
Fax: 01480 470682

Oh and welcome to UKMOC.

Chris

Pedro
06-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Bought shims off the shelf from Moto Rapido.....

Shauns4
06-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Normally no problem to get hold of, have ordered from Ducati leeds in the past.

bango
06-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies - glad to hear its nor usually a problem. I believe st neots was the first place they tried as they are not far from us, but no luck.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but I spoke to the guy in the workshop today and, as far as I could understand, he thought that despite numerous previous services some of the shims had never been replaced. So maybe the size of shims now needed is unusual or irregular somehow? I don't really know how it works.

Anyway, I told them if they hadn't sourced new ones by Saturday i'd spend my weekend ringing round myself just in case I can find someone who has them in stock.

Zimbo
06-04-2006, 08:24 PM
If all else fails, Spareshack does complete kits with a shim of every size in it. Possibly cost a bit more, but you'll never be stuck again!
Another alternative (for openers at least) is to reduce the thickness of the shim using wet - and - dry paper on a flat surface. They're hard so it takes a while, but is perfectly feasible!

Splinters
06-04-2006, 08:29 PM
..ringing round yourself sounds a painful experiance, so I hope you find them in time..*grins*

...Welcome to the madness...

Splint.:spin:

bango
07-04-2006, 07:44 AM
zimbo... hadn't thought of the full set option, might be worth the extra cost just to be sure I get the bike back sooner rather than later!

splinters... yeah hopefully I can avoid, it but a few hours on the phone would be worth it to get the bike back on the road next week.

Rockhopper
07-04-2006, 08:02 AM
Full shim kits are well over £1000 i think.
Call me cynical but maybe the reason your dealer cannot get shims is becasue the Ducati spares network don't want to sell them to a non ducati service agent?

bango
07-04-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh you're so cynical! :)

Yeah I had the same thought - I don't suppose it helps being non-ducati.

Got an update from them today, they say they've found someone who can definately supply and the package has been dispatched. Hooray!

(hope i'm not cheering too soon)

Rockhopper
07-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Shim kits are less than i thought! $329 isn't so bad

http://emsduc.com/pages/1/index.htm