PDA

View Full Version : Bike's been written off. Can I get it back on the road?

gallardo
06-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Hi,

I crashed my bike against a dumb driver and now the bike has been written off. It's been valued Salvage B which means I can not put it back on the road. The bike is not that bad at all and I am still planning to repair it but anyone knows if:

1) Any way of getting the bike in english roads again?

2) Can I export the bike and use it on spanish roads?

I don't want to get rid off my lovely monster!!!!!

Cheers,

Jorge

Gilps
06-04-2006, 10:15 AM
They have listed your bike as category B on the Insurance Register for a reason, because it is unsafe to put back on the road. Category B means that it is suitable for breaking for spares only. Category B usually means a cracked or twisted frame. In old fashioned terms, it's a write-off. If they have given you a reasonable settlement I would take that and walk away. The best that you can hope for is to salvage some of the parts to use on another project. If you do try to resurrect the bike then it will be almost worthless. Anyone looking to buy it would carry out an HPI check and it would show up as being on the register. Dealers won't touch it, and most sensible private buyers would walk away.

gallardo
06-04-2006, 10:34 AM
You are right. It's got a cracked frame, but sooo small. I've already bought it back and got it from the salvage yard. I am having it repair for a few pounds. I am just wondering if once repair it can be inspected again for the DVLA or if it can be ridden on different roads. Not planning to sell it.

They have listed your bike as category B on the Insurance Register for a reason, because it is unsafe to put back on the road. Category B means that it is suitable for breaking for spares only. Category B usually means a cracked or twisted frame. In old fashioned terms, it's a write-off. If they have given you a reasonable settlement I would take that and walk away. The best that you can hope for is to salvage some of the parts to use on another project. If you do try to resurrect the bike then it will be almost worthless. Anyone looking to buy it would carry out an HPI check and it would show up as being on the register. Dealers won't touch it, and most sensible private buyers would walk away.

Pedro
06-04-2006, 12:12 PM
You would be better to buy another and swap good parts from yours to the new one

Yorkie
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Find another frame, with a V5!

And then swap the rest over!

Yorkie.

SimonH
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
My bike was written off in 2003 after a bad prang. You need to take the frame to a proper frame repairer and have it repaired and realligned on a jig. They will return the frame with a certificate showing all the dimensions, angles etc. Then you rebuild the bike onto the frame and apply for a Single Vehicle Type Approval Test with VOSA (The MOT people) at one of their test centres. There the machine will be examined by an engineer and must conform to Construction and Use Regs. i.e. road legal silencers, legal lights, mudguards etc etc. On passing you get a Minister's certificate. Then you go and get an MOT certificate - no idea why. Take all of this to a DVLA test station where they look at the bike and will give you a registration number. If you can show that it's all basically the same as it was, just repaired, the chances are you'll get the old plate back. Otherwise it will be age related. Do NOT allow them to issue a "Q" plate.

I rebuilt mine with a 748 motor and a s/s swingarm. Goes quite well.

Cheers

SimonH