PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Electrics

eonan
30-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Is there a product out there, that can be used to spray on to open electrics, to protect them from corrosion?

Specifically my fuse box/turnsignal flasher unit/gumph underneath the seat. They take a real battering from road spray. I had thought of just wrapping them all up in a protective bag, but would rather keep an airflow around them.

Any ideas?

Monkey Boy
30-03-2006, 07:52 AM
WD40 is pretty good.

eonan
30-03-2006, 07:56 AM
Ah found it...Holts 'Damp Start Ignition Sealer'...

..."Ignition sealer to stop water ingress into your electric's, this product is used when the vehicle is dry. You simply spray a heavy coat on all the electrical system to from a barrier against the damp and water from penetrating into your vehicles electrical system on damp days. "

Zimbo
30-03-2006, 08:41 AM
WD40 is pretty good.

Although it's effect is very short lived. WD40 is a solvent with water shifting properties, it dries off, it doesn't lubricate, and it doesn't offer any long term protection at all. It's only any use if you spray it on after your electrics got wet, every time.

Monkey Boy
30-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Although it's effect is very short lived. WD40 is a solvent with water shifting properties, it dries off, it doesn't lubricate, and it doesn't offer any long term protection at all. It's only any use if you spray it on after your electrics got wet, every time.

Yeah, you are right there, Zimbo :hail:

spacemonkey
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Go to Maplins and buy a can of PCB lacquer. It's a clear plastic spray, and they're own brand is semi flexible too. I use it at work on skin and it's fine for that. Works well on HT leads etc.

For off road 4x4s the wisdom is to spray with this stuff then when dry spray on some grease too. Works well.