PDA

View Full Version : Hythe and Folkestone 8th April 2006

Lady-Bob
28-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Saturday 8th April 2006
Hythe & Folkestone for Seafood
We'll head off from Oakdene pick up en-route - cuppa at the railway cafe, Hythe, where either Nik The Brief or Parky might lead us down to Folkestone for a prawn or three!! Fantastic seafood to be had in Folkestone so come join us.

So.... who's up for this.

Please post up names.

Obviously I'll be at the beginning of it all, since I'm northish Kent.

So I'll start off at 09.00 at the Rose and Crown Car Park at Green Street Green Roundabout on the A21 toward Bromley.

If you want to meet up enroute, please make a suggestion of a pik up point and let's try to keep them to a minimum of 2 - 3.

NTB and/or Parky would you be able to meet us at the Light Railway and take us into Folkestone like once before? :thumbsup: Maybe not Nik... I think he's on hols that week.

I recall Slob came last year... is he back in the country yet??

Be prepared for the weather... it is April y'kno!

nik_the_brief
28-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Great idea - 'cept I'll be in Florida until 19th April (leaving this Thursday!).

Any chance of postponing it til May (or coming down again perhaps)? A good run out towards Camber around the twisties is a great bit of road...

Then I can come out to play too :D

Think Parky may no longer be a Kentish boy! Last time we spoke he was planning on going off to Kenya to live and train as a pilot!!! Not sure though - Patinthehat may be up for it though as it is his neck of the woods.

Also saw a new Monnie (to these here parts - Hythe to be specific) last weekend, a red 'un with a Corse DP tank (the one with the chequered flag) - anybody on here by any chance?

nik_the_brief
28-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey Slob, you never know they may have that squid tempura this time round!

MilesB
28-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry Bob - no show for me... (but then you knew that).
Send me a PM if you want any advise on routes, etc.

I will be out on the bike - just going the other way (Winchester) for a long booked commitment.

Albie
29-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Should be able to go. Hope its a nice day as me and caroline been going out for a year that day:on: :shocked: :shocked: :D :twak:

MilesB
30-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Hope its a nice day as me and caroline been going out for a year that day:on: :shocked: :shocked: :D :twak:
Congrats:thumbsup: :woot: ... my interesting bit of route finding didn't put her off - obviously :mand:

Lady-Bob
30-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Congrats:thumbsup: :woot: ... my interesting bit of route finding didn't put her off - obviously :mand:

Wasn't that the route that had me in tears !!! ??? :twak:

what was that stretch of road Milesb? so I can avoid it!! :on:

Congrats to Albie and Caroline for their 1st anniversary coming up :drunk:

Lady-Bob
30-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Think Parky may no longer be a Kentish boy! Last time we spoke he was planning on going off to Kenya to live and train as a pilot!!!

Could this be one of those men things that they get in their middle age where they feel they've missed out in life and start again as a 20 year old?? ;)

MilesB
30-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Wasn't that the route that had me in tears !!! ??? :twak:

...err Yes :on: :(

Lady-Bob
30-03-2006, 01:12 PM
...err Yes :on: :(

HHmmmm.... I'm gonna need a way round it. Got any suggestions?

MilesB
30-03-2006, 01:38 PM
...it's just that I'm not always 100% sure where here is :biggrin:
HHmmmm.... I'm gonna need a way round it. Got any suggestions?
No worries, we ended up there because Yours T-Ruly was being creative with the route :dizzy: - I didn't know where I was either:confused: - I was just following my nose. Otherwise we would have arrived at the Light Railway Cafe FAR TOO EARLY:o - which would have been terribly Uncool:chuckle:

Just stick to the A & B roads and you will be fine.

Albie
30-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Thank you and no obviously not . Cant seem to get her not to come out.Ha ha.

:D :D

Albie
30-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Could this be one of those men things that they get in their middle age where they feel they've missed out in life and start again as a 20 year old?? ;)
Yes and I ended up with a MONSTER :thumbsup: :on: :D . I can get you to most places. You only need to ask. And no I dont wanna lead.:D :hail:

Lady-Bob
31-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes and I ended up with a MONSTER :thumbsup: :on: :D .

Naah it wasn't the monster that made you feel like a 20 year old (nudge nudge - wink wink say no more!)

How can you get us there if you don't lead hun?

Albie
31-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Naah it wasn't the monster that made you feel like a 20 year old (nudge nudge - wink wink say no more!)

How can you get us there if you don't lead hun?
I will just tell you in advance. And dont be filthy:rolleyes: :mand:

STU65
02-04-2006, 07:16 PM
I'd like to join you if I may from the other side of the water. What time are you meeting up at Oakdene?

Did you meet up today and get out for a run?

Albie
02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Yes went to oakdene to see GT's trike. Im going to meet yous lot a near Leeds Castle if thats ok. Or at M20 services. Let us know what time your setting off so I can be ready for then:woot:

GULLY
02-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Hi guys
I am in for that ice-cream,yum yum
see you all sat

Gully:D

Lady-Bob
03-04-2006, 01:08 PM
So.... add your name if your out on Sat 8th April

09.00 depart from Rose & Crown Carpark in Green Street Green on A21:
Bob
Gully

09.30 at Oakdene Cafe, Wrotham J2 off M20
GaryT (tbc)
Stu65

Leeds Castle/M20? where exactly?? and how long would it take to get from Oakdene to yor pikup?
Albie & Caroline

Would be nice to know if Patinthehat would join us????
And what about newbies Alan C, Nim, Ghoast etc.,?

Please add yourself and pikup point on (try and make pikup points already up otherwise we'll be all day going from pikup to pikup!!!

Albie
03-04-2006, 01:14 PM
I need to know what time you are leaving Oakdene. Is that 9.30 or will you be waiting before leaving. Maybe you will set of at 9.45 in which case I will be at the Little layby at 9.50 as last time we went there before Leeds castle roundabout or had youplans to go via M20.

patinthehat
03-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Sorry I've been a bit slow in replying - only got back from holiday on Saturday and have been a bit busy since!

I certainly hope to be there - meet you at the light railway station in Hythe between 10:00 and 10:30?

From there I'm happy to lead the way in to Folkestone if the rest of you aren't sure of the route - as NTB says, this is my neck of the woods.

Pat

Lady-Bob
03-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Sorry I've been a bit slow in replying - only got back from holiday on Saturday and have been a bit busy since!

I certainly hope to be there - meet you at the light railway station in Hythe between 10:00 and 10:30?

From there I'm happy to lead the way in to Folkestone if the rest of you aren't sure of the route - as NTB says, this is my neck of the woods.

Pat

You are a star! :hail:

It will be great to see you again.

And for you to lead us the picturesue way to the seafood stalls of Folkestone would be fab :thumbsup:

Albie - will aim to leave Oakdene at 09.45 ... wasn't planning on using any Motorway at all save for short M25/M20 from Green St. Green to Oakdene.

You tell me where and when you want to meet and I'll just tap it into my sat nav matey :on:

Lady-Bob
03-04-2006, 11:19 PM
To re-cap... that's....

Bob
Gully

GaryT (tbc)
Stu65

09.45 Depart from Oakdene
Leeds Castle/M20? where exactly?? and how long would it take to get from Oakdene to yor pikup?
Albie & Caroline

arrive Hythe Railway Cafe? approx 11.00(ish!) Don't remember what time we got there last time!!?
Patinthehat

And what about newbies Alan C, Nim, Ghoast etc.,?

Please add yourself and pikup point on (try and make pikup points already up otherwise we'll be all day going from pikup to pikup!:shocked:

alan c
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
alan c (tbc) at oakdene

Lady-Bob
04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
To re-cap... that's....

Bob
Gully

To recap

GaryT (tbc)
Stu65
Alan c

Albie & Caroline

arrive Hythe Railway Cafe? approx 11.00(ish!) Don't remember what time we got there last time!!?
Patinthehat

Albie
05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
I will be just off the m20 at the little layby opposite the hotel before leeds castle at 9.50 for 10.00 you arriving. Exactly same place as last year picking susan up. I would say we would be at hythe before 11.00.:D

MilesB
06-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Bob

I know you said you wanted to avoid the M20, but the A20 from Wrotham (Oakdene) through Maidstone on a Saturday is hell on wheels - go along the M20 to Junction 8 - it avoids all the tedious in-town bits, and...
I will be just off the m20 at the little layby opposite the hotel before leeds castle at 9.50 for 10.00 you arriving. Exactly same place as last year picking susan up. I would say we would be at hythe before 11.00.:D
That's Junction 8 on the M20.

From there to Hythe down the A20 will take 40-50mins tops, depending on whether you want to bypass (tr)Ashford using the M20 J9-J10 ?

Have fun.
Miles

Lady-Bob
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Bob

I know you said you wanted to avoid the M20, but the A20 from Wrotham (Oakdene) through Maidstone on a Saturday is hell on wheels - go along the M20 to Junction 8 - it avoids all the tedious in-town bits, and...

That's Junction 8 on the M20.

From there to Hythe down the A20 will take 40-50mins tops, depending on whether you want to bypass (tr)Ashford using the M20 J9-J10 ?

Have fun.
Miles

Taking your suggestion would mean that we could be down at Hythe for approx 11am after all..

Albie's bit would be on what A-road then? or is it just a case of get off M20 at J8 follow sign for Leeds Castle and he'll be in the first layby on the left?!

Albie
06-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Dont panic hun I will wait at the M20 services roundabout so if you come off the sliproad we can just go straight back on. Save all that faffing about then. Same time about 9.50 0nwards. Got anuvver big bit of carbon tonite. Gully your lagging.:D

MilesB
07-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Taking your suggestion would mean that we could be down at Hythe for approx 11am after all..

Albie's bit would be on what A-road then? or is it just a case of get off M20 at J8 follow sign for Leeds Castle and he'll be in the first layby on the left?!
Suggestion is:
Mway to J8, pick up Albie. (Signs for Leeds Castle get you onto the A20)
A20 to Ashford - great road with twisties and fast sweepers:D .
Bypass Ashford town using M20 J9 to J10.
Off at J10, and back onto the A20 to Newingreen, then A261 into Hythe.

Leave Oakdene at 10, you'll be in Hythe by 11 easy.

Have fun
Miles

scrapps
07-04-2006, 08:18 AM
sorry to be a pain but are you going on m20 or a20 as i was going to meet up on route, prob a20 bottom of charing hill:D

Albie
07-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Maybe you could meet us at junction m20 j9 or 10:D

scrapps
07-04-2006, 08:54 AM
YES CAN DO AS DONT WANT TO HEAD WEST THEN GO BACK EAST AGAIN ON RUN:thumbsup: ( ARE THEY GOING ON A20 OR M20 AS DONT WANT TO SPEND LOTS OF TIME ON MOTOR WAY):thumbsdown:

slob
07-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Bob
Gully

To recap

GaryT (tbc)
Stu65
Alan c
Slob & Thuli

Albie & Caroline

Patinthehat

Lady-Bob
07-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Good to have you along Slob & Lady Slob :ukm:

Lady-Bob
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
sorry to be a pain but are you going on m20 or a20 as i was going to meet up on route, prob a20 bottom of charing hill:D

I'll be taking Milesb's advice....

Suggestion is:
Mway to J8, pick up Albie. (Signs for Leeds Castle get you onto the A20)
A20 to Ashford - great road with twisties and fast sweepers .

I'll have to look up where Charing Hill is on the map as I'm not familiar with that part.

Will post up final route tonight at about 9pm...

Will you ALL please make sure you look in on this thread for any final notes/changes before you leave home on Saturday morning.

If you do not have my mobile no. and want it, please PM me and I'll pm my number to you tonight.

Anyone seen the weather forecast for tomorrow?

scrapps
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
weather forecast is same as today sun clouds and some rain:p

MilesB
07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
I'll have to look up where Charing Hill is on the map as I'm not familiar with that part.
Junction of A20 and A252 at Charing - sodding big roundabout - you can't miss it! We met up there with n-t-b & patinthehat last year for the Planet Thanet Run.

Albie
07-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I know where it is. I will lead you there.:D :hail:

alan c
07-04-2006, 05:05 PM
hi Bob, may have to work tommorow, could i have mobile no so can call, if not at oakdene 9.30 will not make ride out,sorry.

Lady-Bob
07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Hang on... I'll be with you in a mo... had a load of typing to do for work and so I'm a bit behind (no rude jokes there you lot!)

Lady-Bob
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Junction of A20 and A252 at Charing - sodding big roundabout - you can't miss it! We met up there with n-t-b & patinthehat last year for the Planet Thanet Run.

Oh ... in that huge car park???

I know what it looks like but I was just followin' you Miles! - I wasn't taking in the route!!!

Albie, if you could lead us to that pik up I'd be grateful honey.

Lady-Bob
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Ok Guys... final decision on pikups...

Gully to me to help cable tie my indicator on at 08.30

We will be down to Oakdene for 09.30 for a cuppa and a toilet trip!

Leave Oakdene at approx 09.45
GaryT not joining us as he's not confident with his cambelts and needs to get them changed this weekend.

Then M20 to J8, off onto A20 to pick up Albie in a layby somewhere!
Albie to lead down to Charing pik up to meet with Scrapps

Then
A20 to Ashford - great road with twisties and fast sweepers .

I think my Sat Nav is going to have a nervous breakdown before it's started!!!! :shocked:

If you think you'll be pulling out because of weather etc... please let me know so we can avoid a pik up point if it's not necessary to go there.

Gully, Albie, Scrapps & Alanc have my mobile.... anyone else needs it please pm me asap :spin:

scrapps
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
ok bob that sounds good i will be at old happy eater carpark bottom of charing hill around 10.15 / 10.30 then. if not pissing with rain (still no water proof clothes..:scratch: ) if weather to bad i will call you on mobile

Lady-Bob
08-04-2006, 06:10 AM
ok bob that sounds good i will be at old happy eater carpark bottom of charing hill around 10.15 / 10.30 then. if not pissing with rain (still no water proof clothes..:scratch: ) if weather to bad i will call you on mobile

Thanks for that

Better to text than call if you can guys. Whilst riding I'll have phone turned off... but will turn on and get messages at each pik up point.

Lady-Bob
08-04-2006, 06:40 AM
I think my Sat Nav is going to have a nervous breakdown before it's started!!!! :shocked:

aah! 'f '-ing thing hasn't charged it's battery properly.... could be a mystery tour!!!!

Only joking (I hope! :p )

Albie
08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Only for those who dont know where they are.:gay: :D

Albie
08-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Well it turned out to be a luvly day. A bit overcast when we left to pick up bob and co on m20. Very blowy indeed. Waited and waited and guessed either something wrong or they are having Brekkie:twak: second guess correct so head of to check scrapps not going home. 10 min later the gang turned up so I happily lead down to hythe and picked up Patinthehat and a long awaited cuppa. Then set of behind him to Folkstone. Seafood was the order of the day. crummy too. We all set off for a blatt home and split up. Hope all enjoyed the short dayout cos me and caroline did. Turn out was as follows:
Albie and Caroline
Slob and Thulli
Bob
Gully
Scrapps
Stu65
Alan C
Patinthehat

Thanks everybody doing Kent proud:tgoe: :tgoe: :tgoe:

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:00 PM
another one

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
and another one

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:03 PM
and yet another

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
and yet more

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
couple more

Albie
08-04-2006, 04:06 PM
last one I think

slob
08-04-2006, 06:28 PM
We had a laugh* after we left you Albie, we did two slow laps of Canterbury and said bye to Scrapps, then we went to Hernia Bay for coffee... came out of the Bandstand Cafe-Bar on the seafront just in time to see Scrapps ride past without seeing us. *On the way back to London I lost Stu, when we got back to where he'd been it turned out his bag had come open but he'd already found his wallet, all its contents and two pieces of his mobile phone spread up the verge.

MilesB
08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
...but it sounds like you had fun.

I had a good day too - just not bike related. Just as well as the Monster is up on the stand with the sump drained... hoping to finish off home service tomorrow, and so prep the bike for the next few weekends riding.

slob
08-04-2006, 08:53 PM
We just had the Bream, Thuli bought in the fish shop at Folkestone harbour, for dinner. That was worth the trip on its own.

GULLY
08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Guys & Girls
Thanks for today, had a great day with you all, the company and food was great.:thumbsup: Made it back in time so did not get my head bitten off and was not late for family get-together.
Look forward to seeing you all soon.

Alan hope you had a good time to day mate:D

Bob sorry i was late today i will do the cable ties next time we all meet up:D
I like your new clutch cover:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Albie/caroline happy anniversary for to day:)

Gully:spin:

gary tompkins
08-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi all,

Glad you had a great day at the coast and the weather was kind to you. I spent a day finishing odds 'n' sods jobs on the trike, and fitting a new set of cambelts. Oil + filter change tomorrow and I should be sorted for the weekender with any luck.

Nice photos Albie - I always appreciate a few nice... err... rear end shots? :look:

Here's another one you'll be staring at very soon.... ;)

slob
09-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi all,

Glad you had a great day at the coast and the weather was kind to you. I spent a day finishing odds 'n' sods jobs on the trike, and fitting a new set of cambelts. Oil + filter change tomorrow and I should be sorted for the weekender with any luck.

Nice photos Albie - I always appreciate a few nice... err... rear end shots? :look:

I see you got those funky little mirrors at last, very nice!

gary tompkins
09-04-2006, 07:46 AM
I see you got those funky little mirrors at last, very nice!
Ahh yes - the Oberon Eng. Bar ends arrived at last. Had a bit of a mare fitting them as the collets supplied wouldn't tighten properly no matter what I tried. Luckily I still had the original bar ends, which I robbed of thier fittings and that seemed to sort it out.

Rear view is pretty good (if small) and no elbows getting in the way either. Just have to cover my blindspots with plenty of rear observations, especially in town.

As you say I think they look really neat, and work with well with the low 'n' wide stance of the trike :cool:

MilesB
09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Ahh yes - the Oberon Eng. Bar ends arrived at last.

Rear view is pretty good (if small) and no elbows getting in the way either. Just have to cover my blindspots with plenty of rear observations, especially in town.
Look classy :thumbsup:

alan c
09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
hi everyone,thanks for a great day,and my first ride out ,enjoyed riding as a group. did well with weather and enjoyed company. see you all soon, thanks.:hail:

Albie
09-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi all,

Soon get passed you sunshine :D :D :D

gary tompkins
09-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Look classy :thumbsup:

Thanks Miles - as you know I only do classy! ;)

Now... where did I leave my sequinned jogging bottoms, Tommy Cooper Fez and tartan Doc Martins.. I need to go for a ride :chuckle:

gary tompkins
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Soon get passed you sunshine :D :D :D

Oooh... looks like Albie has just thrown the gauntlet down?

Game on! :woot:

Lady-Bob
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Now guys... no hijacking the thread!!

I had a great time.

Sorry we were late Albie... STu needed a cuppa and petrol after arriving late (slapped wrists Stu! :gay: )

Then had to wait while the fellas emptied the tea in the loo before riding off (why DO men have such small bladders???! - on 2nd thorts... don't answer that!)

A couple of piccies for you from the day....

Lady-Bob
09-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Here are a few more....

What no-one took a piccie of my clotch cover???

Not even me :twak:

And although it looks like I took a pic of Gully and a pic of Patinthehat and taped them together... it's just the way it came out... honest!

slob
09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=9313&d=1144585701
Yech... Albie's jacket tastes awful!

Lady-Bob
09-04-2006, 12:38 PM
And just a few more

Many thanks to everyone who came out.

Sorry we missed you Gary. Would've been nice to have you along with us.

Happy anniversary Albie and Caroline :heart: Nice to see you guys are still happy. Hope it goes on for a long time... 'cos we'd like Caroline to stay please!! :thumbsup:

Lady-Bob
09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Caroline : You touch him Alan and you'll die

Alan c : But I can't help myself

Albie : Oooooh Cripes!

Albie
09-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Oooh... looks like Albie has just thrown the gauntlet down?

Game on! :woot:
Only joking. You know what a wooss I am. Ok on the straights crap round the bends:D

STU65
09-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Now guys... no hijacking the thread!!

I had a great time.

Sorry we were late Albie... STu needed a cuppa and petrol after arriving late (slapped wrists Stu!)

Then had to wait while the fellas emptied the tea in the loo before riding off (why DO men have such small bladders???! - on 2nd thorts... don't answer that!)

A couple of piccies for you from the day....

Sorry Bob, I'll try to get there on time next time. I enjoyed the trip, the company, and the food was good. Slob and I scooted up to Hern Bay to round off the day. See you all again some time soon.

PS Slod many thanks PM sent.

Lady-Bob
10-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Sorry Bob, I'll try to get there on time next time.

You had a way to come for an early start.... you are forgiven!! :p ... it wasn't a problem. Your company was the important thing. Thanks for making an effort to get out and about with us. :thumbsup:

Albie
10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes its really good of you to come down this way. And great to have your company. thank you for making the effort. Always welcome mate.:hail: