PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Redkite2
25-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Just joined yesterday; I'm from the Dartford area but spend a lot of my time working in Amsterdam. I had a 900 Hornet which I sold last week and just have the 2005 Aprilia Pegaso Strada at the mo. I've joined because I've fallen for the S2R\S4R and am looking into getting an S2R 800 or 1000, but am finding it very hard to choose between the two. I'm hoping to find some usefull information and friendly help here.
Stu

fatbloke
25-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi welcome to UKMOC
IMO the 800 is better for every day use and the 1000 is better
suited to sunday thrashing but thats just me.
I'm sure you'll get more opinions on here!
Terry

Gilps
25-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi there and welcome
I've got the 800. The 1000 wasn't available when I got mine so I didn't get a choice. I really like mine. I stepped down in power from a Triumph Sprint RS 955i but rarely miss the brute power. The little 800 is more subtle but also more usable. The handling is really sweet and the looks are great. It was the looks that got me hooked - I bought mine without even test riding it. The 800 has a slipper clutch, and is also hydraulically assisted. Not too sure what the difference is as I have not ridden other Monsters, but judging by some of the other threads on here, the clutch is much lighter than the others in the range, therefore better for around town.
If I have any niggles it is the front brakes. I think that they could be little sharper/effective. But give them a firm tug and they pull you up in a controllable manner. The other niggle is lack of adjustment to the front forks as they are a little soft for my liking. However if you team up the shonky front brake with soft damped shock it all works surpisingly well together, its a well balanced package. Stronger brakes would overwhelm the forks I think. In time I will try harder pads, and may get the forks reworked.
From a purely financial point of view, the 1000cc is the bike to buy. That little extra cash gets you more money's worth of bits: better brakes, adjustable forks, and more oomph. I've already spent the price difference on my S2r giving it more poke, and it is still less powerful than the 1000. But no slipper clutch on the 1000 though. If I was buying again and had the choice of both bikes, and the 1000 was available in yellow, then I would buy the 1000. But the 1000 isn't available in yellow so would still buy the 800. I told you is was all about the looks for me!
In short I really like the bike and don't think you will go far wrong with one. I prefer the riding position to my wife's Hornet 600, and she is coming round to my way of thinking too.
Good luck whichever way you swing.
Paul

sidrat
25-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Welcome, don't, know about the S2R, but had a couple of old style monsters and then bought an S4R, which was the most fun bike i have ever owned out of all the bikes. (60 odd and counting), they fixed the ground clearance probs and made it look even sexier, so much so i pick up my new S4rs next week!

Have you seen this??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-DUCATI-MONSTER-S2R-RED_W0QQitemZ4623860397QQcategoryZ9919QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Albie
25-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Welcome from a kentie. Plenty of people round your way. As for the bike. I owned a m900 before the s4 and personally I would go for the s2r 1000. It has all the s4 equipment + single sider and no rad which in most poples eyes is a no no. Go for it and see you at Oakdene cafe at wrotham every first sunday of the month. Come along next sunday just to say hello if you can. There should be about 10 of us as usual.

See ya
Andy:D

Redkite2
26-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the input. Looks like it's going to be the 1000...
Oakdene I know well, having grown up in Longfield, just down the road from Wrotham. Will caal in sometime, but am in Holland at the moment.
Wat sort of mileage are you getting from the 1000 - the small tank is a bit off-putting.

Albie
26-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Well on s4 I get about 130 miles before warning light comes on. My 900 was about the same. Yeah pop in some time plz when your in area. Good luck with the purchase.:D

gary tompkins
26-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Hello from another Dartford UKMOCer. It would be great to meet you at the Oakdene meet in the near future. Drop me a PM when you are back in the UK :)

slob
26-03-2006, 09:53 PM
A few of us will be over racing at Assen, 2nd weekend in May if you've got time to make the trip.

sadbiker
27-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Red, you know my comments from Hornets Nest, so good luck hope you get it sorted soon.

Redkite2
27-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Cheers SB, trying to get it sorted right now, but impossible to get a test ride just yet, like to be sure before handing over that much dosh.

Will try to get to Oakdene in May sometime, hopefully I'll have an S2R 1000 by then, otherwise, it'lle be my Aprilia Strada :D

Assen sounds good, will have to check out dates etc, coz have to be in UK for work in May

Lady-Bob
05-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey there from me.. another Kentie.

Keep an eye out on our Kent event thread

(via "Regional Announcements" and then select Kent)

or use this as a short cut http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=90383#post90383

Would be nice if you could fit us in on one of the planned runs when you're next back in Ol' Blighty

Redkite2
11-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey there from me.. another Kentie.

Keep an eye out on our Kent event thread

(via "Regional Announcements" and then select Kent)

or use this as a short cut http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=90383#post90383

Would be nice if you could fit us in on one of the planned runs when you're next back in Ol' Blighty

Will do my best, thanks everyone for the welcome.
Also very pleased with myself for ordering an S2R 1000 in black with white stripe\wheels today. :spin:
Haven't heard yet when I can pick it up, but hopefully in the week after Easter.....

Stu

GULLY
11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi and welcome
I am Gully (graham) from bexley.looking fwd to meeting you soon and seeing your new bike:thumbsup:

Gully:D

bad-yeti
12-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Grats on the choice of bike.....

oh yes, Hello and welcome.

BY

Pugi
12-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Welcome! Do come around and show off the bike when you get it. :thumbsup:

Redkite2
27-04-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, still waiting for it, apparently it's at the importers ready to be transported and has been for over 2 weeks :scratch:
Still. at least I'm the proud owner of a set of R&G,s and a nice carbon hugger and one of those long chain adjusting type c-spanner thingys'.
I want my bike! :hissy: