PDA

View Full Version : Or Perhaps a 748?

eonan
24-03-2006, 07:46 PM
OK...so I love the 916. That perhaps remains a dream out with my reach at the moment. The 748 however...

I was given a whole afternoon to play with one this week. My opinion? I want one...right here, right now!

For what I want/need it for...a 50 mile daily commute [40mins through town] and weekend country [lashings of ginger beer style] riding...it is perfect!

Anyone here ride one? Or have experience owning one?

steve wright
24-03-2006, 08:13 PM
748.....possibly the best sports bike i ever had. Stick it in 3rd and nail it everywhere, grip to tear your ears off and steered within a mm of where you pointed it. I rode it to the south of france and to spain without back ache. Clocked 148 on a spanish "B" road and still stable.As you can see i thought it was top! Better than my 996 and mille R. But a different experience to a Monster, speed or hash....make your choice, Ooops did i just get banned?

Albie
24-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Yes I too would like one as a mate to my s4. I rode a 996 to which I seemed too fit nicely. It was great. Must have both though. Yes Im greedy. But im buying an Alfa Romeo 156 2.5 v6 soon so it will have to wait:D :D

steve wright
24-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Once upon a time I had an alfa 156 V6 2.5 and a 996 at the same time....where did it all go wrong?

Albie
24-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Was you happy with it. Is it like owning a duke. I love the cars design and will keep it very well looked after. Sorry for hijack:D

steve wright
24-03-2006, 09:12 PM
more than happy.
It had a Q sytem gearbox which could be lazy auto, or flick the stick for clutchless manual, if that makes sense. Comfort, quiet, and speedy. did 30mpg on motorways and 150mph on m49, ..did i dream that officer!
totally reliable in 70k miles.... er igniter box went awol once and rear n/s brake seized but i imagine they've sorted these "known problems" by now..(....yeah right!)

marchesini
24-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Anyone here ride one? Or have experience owning one?

Ah, my kind of thread: V6 alfas, 748, 996 and monsters - had 3 of these all at the same time a while back. The V6 GTV has gone for something more practical but the Monster and 996 remain but has recently (late last year) been joined by a 748SP.

Onto the original question and whilst I think that the 748/9X6 is a design icon, it transcends its beauty in that it is an absolutely amazing bike to ride. Not necessarily the fastest or most powerful but sling it on it's side deep into a corner and you will feel invincible. It's what the phrase 'it's on rails' was invented for. A bit of effort to turn in but the amount of grip, confidence and front end feel is worth every penny, lire, euro, whatever currency you like, worth it.

That said, while most may admire it in the aesthetic sense, riding the bike is certainly a less attractive proposition. Some may say they would love to have one in their living room and for the majority, that may be the place where it may give the most pleasure. As a commuting tool, it can be done - I've done it. Much better than the Monster for filtering due to the slimness but not recommended in the summer months - the faired design and underseat pipes tend to get a bit toasty.

The main gripe about the bike is the riding position - it's too much weight on the wrists, it hurst my back blah, blah - it's a race bike with lights for fecks sake! Funnily enough, the 748/996 was the first faired bike I ever rode and I bought it so I had zero experience on other sports bikes so when I sat on an R6 at a track day, I thought they had modded the bars to be more upright. They hadn't and it was only then, I realised how extreme the 996 riding position was (comparatively speaking). I personally have never had an issue with any of the riding position but then again, I am not the largest of people, ahem.

The other point I would make about the bike is make sure that you get a test ride (which I see you have already done). A few years back, after a year layoff from bikes due to an argument with a Toyota Celica, I convinced myself that I was the perfect fit for a 748. Spoke to a load of owners, read all the test reports, had the money ready and all that I needed was a quick test ride and it would be mine. Was loaned the bike for a couple of hours and within 20 minutes, I was back at the shop. I absolutely hated it for exactly the same reasons I love it now. My back and wrists ached, I felt I was going to fall off it in every corner, it was too lumpy etc, etc - got a 750 Monster instead.

Fast forward a couple of years and did a few Ducati Experience days (remember them anyone). Riding it in it's rightful environment, I fell in love with the bike (again) and promptly hauled myself over to On Yer Bike to buy a 748 ex Ducati Experience machine. Again, I was disappointed. I really expected this icon, this classic, this bike that the mags raved about to blow me away and it left me a bit flat really. That was until I tried the 996 - now, that's what I'm talkin' about. Gobfuls of torque everywhere and so easy to ride - I bought it and still have it today.

(continued)

marchesini
24-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Fast forward to last year and had a 'billy bullsh1t' conversation with Terry (Fatbloke) about possibly getting a dedicated track bike. Well, the angel of destiny appeared later that week and a 748SP trackbike with paddock stands, wets, tyre warmers, race sprockets, spare tanks and fairings etc etc was up for sale. To you sir, £2600. No brainer thought I and that's now in my garage. Well, truth be told, it's in Dave Woods garage in lots of bits but thats a story for another day. I bought it remembering how I felt the 748 was flat and that I would give this one a go and if I didn't like it, I could sell it without losing any money.

As it happens, I now love it to bits as it has made me a better rider. Totally different to the 996 but ultimately more rewarding. The 996, you could happily put it in third, keep it over 3000 rpm and ride pretty quickly round Brands Indy circuit without changing gear. Unless you keep the 748 above 6/7000 revs, it ain't going anywhere!! All the bigger bikes overtaking you on the straight because you fluffed a gear change the previous corner, quickly teaches you to adapt. I am now having an 853 kit fitted to mine now to make it a serious track tool for this year but again, that's for another time.

And the moral of this story (apart from, that I tend to go on a bit), the 748 and 996 bikes are very different bikes so make sure you get an extended test ride on them before you buy. Oh, and it would be totally wasted as a commuting bike - take it home - on a racetrack.

Laters

simon

http://www.simonvicki.co.uk/days_out_page/stunt_school_pages/748_57.jpg

http://www.simonvicki.co.uk/days_out_page/stunt_school_pages/996_3.jpg

http://www.simonvicki.co.uk/days_out_page/stunt_school_pages/on_it.jpg

eonan
25-03-2006, 07:50 AM
WOW! Simon...what a review! Wasn't expecting that. Really, really helpful...thanks.

I'm 6ft 4" and was really surprised at how comfortable it felt. The run I did though, was a very bendy twisty one [as is my daily commute], so there was enough opportunities to shift body position, and minimise seazing up into the one position.

The 996? Hmmm...well first let me say that your bike is absolutely gorgeous! I'd love to try one, but feel at this very early stage of my riding life, its probably more than a little beyond me. I'm not sure I'd know what to do with her. I went out with an RAF pilot once...she flew those Herclues cargo planes...its a bit like that...I wasn't really sure what to do with her either :eyepopping:

Dave G
25-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I wouldnt rule out the 916/996 just yet Eonan, its not so powerful as to be scary to ride.
I'd actually say its probably easier to ride on the road than a 748, just stick it in gear....any gear! and pull away.I've only ridden a 748 on the track but when I took my 916 to the same track a year later it seemed slower,I put that down to the engine not being as revvy.
If you can get insurance cover for it(a big if for some) then the costs of owning 916 or 748 arent too different.
I had a few costs over the years with my 916,mainly servicing,but rockers and rear brake masters and rear hub replacement spring to mind.
If you commute then heavy clutches which get grabbier by the minute when hot dont help,the suicide stand has caught out everyone I know including me.
As Marchesini says it corners on rails but takes a bit of effort sometimes as its a lazy steering bike,I had a fireblade before and it steered quickly,the 916 took a bit of re-education(as did knocking down gears too quickly!!!)
Thinking your doing about 80 when you hit the rev limiter is a real eye opener!, thats one of the reasons I geared mine down.
Get a service history!, a proper one, and if you are going to struggle to afford to maintain it then I'd say dont get one until you can.

As for comfort,well thats a personal thing,I'm 5'10" and my 916 was the most comfy bike I've ever ridden, yes you are almost horizontal with you arse in the air but that didnt matter so much to me.I still dont find my monster that comfy and could (and did) ride the 916 for over 500 miles without feeling to stiff.
I'll probably regret selling my 916, you never know,maybe one day I'll get another.