PDA

View Full Version : Datatool Alarm Re-location Help

eonan
22-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Can any of you folks help me? I'll try and describe this as best as I can...please bear with me ;)

I have a Datatool Veto immobiliser/alarm. Currently the alarm box is situated underneath the fuel tank.

Because of the changes I've made underneath there [new battery box, pod filters etc], the feckin alarm will no longer fit!

So...I want to re-locate the alarm box to go underneath the seat.

Now please excuse the lack of detail in my description...I'm hoping that someone will recognise whats going on here. All the cables and wires are covered in layers of tape, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on myself!

Currently, from the alarm box, there is one wire [or set of wires wrapped in tape] running to the rear of the bike [underneath the seat], where the main fuse box is...the other goes to the front of the bike. So I'm kind of stuck with the alarm box in the middle. Has anyone any experience of how these things are wired? And what will I need to do to relocate it underneath the seat?

Many thanks folks

bod
23-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Depends on who fitted it and how neat they were.
Unravel the tape (probably find the spare/slack bit in there),if not it's out with the snips and soldering iron.
Be carefull to snip and rejoin one at a time as I seem to remember they are all black!

bod
23-03-2006, 05:29 PM
If you need the instructions I got a brand new Veto under my desk at home(never got around to fitting it yet)

eonan
23-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Depends on who fitted it and how neat they were.
Unravel the tape (probably find the spare/slack bit in there),if not it's out with the snips and soldering iron.
Be carefull to snip and rejoin one at a time as I seem to remember they are all black!

Hey bod...cheers mate. Yep...they're all black! I reckon I'll be able to snip and solder all the wires, except the aerial. Cut the black one, or the black one :on:

I don't suppose your instructions include a wiring diagram do they?

bod
23-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Yep but I think mine is not model specific but may give you a clue(best bet is snip a join one at a time if there isn't enough slack in the wiring)
PM if you need me to look at the fiiting instructions.

eonan
24-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Yep but I think mine is not model specific but may give you a clue(best bet is snip a join one at a time if there isn't enough slack in the wiring)
PM if you need me to look at the fiiting instructions.

I'll have a go this weekend...if I get stuck I might just take you up on that :thumbsup:

eonan
25-03-2006, 12:50 PM
OK...there are 5 wires going off the rear [fuse box], and 8 wires going off to the front.

In order to re-locate the alarm box to the rear of the bike, I will need to extend the length of the 8 wires running to the front.

Of those 8 wires, 2 are for the little red LED on the ignition switch cover. The other six erm, well I'm guessing that some will be connected to the turnsignals, another for the ignition...OK I really am guessing now!

With the info above, can anyone tell me whether it would be OK to snip those 8 wires [running to the front], to solder in some extensions?

gary tompkins
26-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Eonan,

Why not give datatool a ring for advice?

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

It should be possible to cut and extend the wires, but as they are all black you'll need to label them first. I would also disconnect the battery to avoid any short circuits that could damage the alarm.

eonan
26-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Eonan,

Why not give datatool a ring for advice?

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

It should be possible to cut and extend the wires, but as they are all black you'll need to label them first. I would also disconnect the battery to avoid any short circuits that could damage the alarm.

Hi Gary...sent them off an email yesterday. I'll follow up with a call tomorrow.