PDA

View Full Version : I just don't like it!!!

coolcatshaft
21-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I remember when Ferrari was a really COOL car company! The history, the cars everything about it, but as the years have gone by the merchandising has gotten out of control and now you can buy ferrari laptops, socks, fragrances pretty much anything you want ( a bit like the Spaceballs toilet paper etc. if anyone remembers that)

In doing so i felt Ferrari lost some of their cool... a Lambo or a Maser now seem much cooler to me, less chavvy maybe.

some of you may remember a little thread about monsters on tv and in movies, and i posted a pic of an ad poster i saw at heathrow featuring an ermenegildo zegna fragrance which showed a guy sitting on a monster...

well lo and behold...

http://www.zzegna-ducati.com

can't help feeling this is a step too far, especially as the bottle doesn't really look that great to be honest and all that chat about masculine virility is a bit over the top.

it just feels like prostitution of the ducati name and just makes me feel uneasy! but then again who the hell am I judge!!!

would love to hear your views on this...

SazzaG
21-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Easy to think it's a wind up!

However, there's a pic of Brad Pitt on that website, and in OK magazine the other week, there was a pic of him riding an S4RS through Paris (with an amusing quote saying "Brad Pitt on his £35,000 motorbike" - who the hell does their research?)

Wonder what the fragrance smells like. Eau de flaky engine paint?

Saz

Nonnie
22-03-2006, 07:46 AM
We don't need fragrance. We are rufty tufty hairy bikers.

MilesB
22-03-2006, 07:53 AM
some of you may remember a little thread about monsters on tv and in movies, and i posted a pic of an ad poster i saw at heathrow featuring an ermenegildo zegna fragrance which showed a guy sitting on a monster...

well lo and behold...

http://www.zzegna-ducati.com

would love to hear your views on this...
errr... all i get is a black rectangle on o brushed aluminium background... nothing to be too offended about:freak:

Mand
22-03-2006, 08:09 AM
We don't need fragrance. We are rufty tufty hairy bikers.

Speak for yourself lady!
:D

NC35
22-03-2006, 08:21 AM
So you would say NO!! to a free Ferrari??? Diddn't think so.

I do know what you mean, did anyone see the Top Gear repeat on Sunday?

Ferrari vs Aston Martin.... For exactly the same reasons you have listed the underdog Aston Martin won the test....

But for years Ducati have been in films and TV shows as well as being the leaders in SuperBikes for years.

Everyone wants to be associated with a winning brand. Be happy that you were on the ship before all the wanabees jumped on.

sadbiker
22-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Business as usual, isn't it about time, Harley have had theirs for ages.

Now they can take the mick out of Ducati riders tooooo.. Hmmm Smell nice.

NewMon
22-03-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd really be interested to meet anyone who actually buys this stuff! I want to ask them how the association with the Monster and Ducati name makes any difference to a bottle of water, alcohol and smelly stuff.

Also, exactly what was Ducati's design contribution to all this guff?

I suppose I shouldn't bother myself with it all - ignore them, don't buy the stuff and they might go away.

DesmoDog
22-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Well I've been looking to source it from the web site and can't find it anywhere. i've asked at the Ducati franchise on Westgate road (kens Motorcycles) but they thought I was taking the ****. I already have the trees cool ducati ebel watch and dainese jacket (can't aford the trousers). It was going to be the lid next, but if I can get the cologne then all the better. Has anyone seen it in the shops?

abbeyalto
22-03-2006, 01:23 PM
If it's anywhere near the price of their suits then you'll need to talk to your bank manager...

Benjy

Didge
22-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Total crap in my view. They (Ducati) should stick with what they're good at, making motorcycles.
The general public, and the big corporations that feed them their tat, are both very fickle beasts, that will praise one day, and p1ss on you the next.
Leave all that sh1te to the likes of Harley Davidson, who in my view at least, have gone much too far down this road, and thus have lost any REAL cool that they once had. That is, in the days before HD became a style icon for bank managers, city men etc, who like to think they're outlaw bikers.

slob
22-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Speak for yourself lady!
:D
I think she's speaking for me.

Nonnie
22-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Thank you Slob. Of course I was. Whereas Mand and me don't need added fragrance as we are laydees and have laydee smells which are like flowers and honey and marzipan.

Starter Sprag
22-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Total crap in my view. They (Ducati) should stick with what they're good at, making motorcycles.
The general public, and the big corporations that feed them their tat, are both very fickle beasts, that will praise one day, and p1ss on you the next.
Leave all that sh1te to the likes of Harley Davidson, who in my view at least, have gone much too far down this road, and thus have lost any REAL cool that they once had. That is, in the days before HD became a style icon for bank managers, city men etc, who like to think they're outlaw bikers.

For once, I totally agree with you:thumbsup:

NewMon
22-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Mmmm Marzipan.

abbeyalto
10-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Well I've been looking to source it from the web site and can't find it anywhere. i've asked at the Ducati franchise on Westgate road (kens Motorcycles) but they thought I was taking the ****. I already have the trees cool ducati ebel watch and dainese jacket (can't aford the trousers). It was going to be the lid next, but if I can get the cologne then all the better. Has anyone seen it in the shops?

I saw some of this in an airport a few days ago - didn't have time to ask the price (the whole Zegna shop was label-free, eek). Had a sniff, though, and actually it smells quite nice... The bottle's a bit more cool looking in the flesh.

Benj

lord vader
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
My Brother supplies perfumes etc to airlines and airports and might be able to get hold of some! I will ask him and find out.

Nonnie
10-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Does he do them Rolex's too?!

lord vader
10-05-2006, 06:01 PM
What the dodgy ones you get sold at a little chef carpark just off the M40 or the full on bling?

Nonnie
10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, with my usual sweeping generalisations, I plumped for the dodgy ones.

20 quid to you eh? (I can get a decent Tag Hauer pilots watch (just the SOS beacon doesn't work, if your brothers interested!)

lord vader
10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
One of his Perks so to speak is cheap prices on watches, sunnies etc sadly he's not aloud to take the perverbial most of his are tag or tissot and he normally pays less than 1/2 price. The cheapest stuff is perfume the mark up is massize, aside from the fact he gets as many counter tester sized bottles as he wants he pays about a 1/4 of what you pay at boots for anything specific he wants.
Once a year they have a warehouse sale to clear stock space ready for the new year, I got a £350 ted baker suit for £60, DAB radio for £20, £400 sony camera for £100 RayBans for £10 not counting all the aftershaves, perfumes and makeup you can shake a pointy stick at most of it reduced from £40 a bottle to £3, and all the good stuff too CK, Hugo, Lacoste, RL, Tommy, Lancombe etc.

He is tempting me at the moment with a Breil Ducati watch see link to pic he rekons on getting 1/2 price £150. Sadly not the month to ask the misus as the bike is in next week for a belts and braces service at the dealer!:thumbsdown:
http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/breil-watches/breil-titanium-watch-2519773839-large.jpg