PDA

View Full Version : Are they serious?

neilp
21-03-2006, 02:30 PM
This article is in todays Times

The Times March 21, 2006
News in Brief

New curbs on use of water

New curbs on pressure hoses to clean patios, garden furniture, footpaths and driveways are to be included in emergency powers to cope with drought and severe water shortages (Valerie Elliott writes).

A ban is also expected on the filling of adult-size paddling pools if water companies seek new limits on the non-essential use of water during a drought. The cleaning of motorcycles and the outside of caravans is also to be outlawed.
Margaret Beckett, the Environment Secretary, is to approve these emergency measures before the summer. The controls have been demanded by water companies to prevent households flouting existing hosepipe bans, which are already in place in southern England or will come into force early next month.

Am I missing something here, or is someone just having a laugh. :thumbsdown:

Bodybag
21-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Obviously we'll have to pollute the countryside by cleaning our bikes with baby-wipes!! Why are we being targeted? Are only car drivers worthy of clean vehicles?

SazzaG
21-03-2006, 04:25 PM
We've had a hosepipe ban for the last year (Sussex), and as we're already banned from using the hose to wash private cars, I presumed that meant motorbikes as well.

I saw a guy down the road flouting the law in an interesting way - he was watering his hedge, apparently using a watering can, but he'd just stuck his hose in the top of the watering can!

The stupid thing is, you can still take your car/bike to the jetwash, or car wash, and I'm sure they use way more water than you would at home. Anyway, I use water butts to collect water for the garden, so they should allow me to wash my bike.... grrr. And I bet industry waste much more water than domestic customers. Better go, I'm starting to rant now..

Saz

mark cross
21-03-2006, 04:33 PM
i know thats it`s no help or comfrot to you chaps in the dry parts but here in fermanagh it rains most of the year. My back gardens like a swamp, i cant get a lawn mower near it. You cant clean your bike because of the lack of rain, I cant keep mine clean because it never stops raining here:banghead:

sjr999r
21-03-2006, 04:47 PM
they will have to arrest my ass then......am goner be cleaning my Duke

sadbiker
21-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Wonder if Golf courses will still be able to water the courses.

My sister who lives over in the Algarve said how that region has a very stringent water ban, except for the Golf Courses which holiday makers use.

jwood26
21-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Hate to tell you guys but not only cars, bikes, pipes are going to be restricted but so are car washes! It was released on the tv today. Back to the baby wipe idea again I feel.......................

Gilps
21-03-2006, 06:00 PM
It seems to depend very much on where you live. I live about 12 miles west of Swindon. Swindon is Thames Water and they will get a ban next month. I'm with Wessex Water and apparently they've got loads of water so no ban. Come live near me and have a clean bike. We can go to the local pub too. Nice beer, good food. What are you waiting for.

neilp
21-03-2006, 06:14 PM
So is this just a hose pipe ban? I mean am I breaking the law by using a bucket and sponge?

(I cant believe that I am even having to ask this question:confused:)

Gilps
21-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I think its just a hosepipe ban. I'm sure buckets are allowed. Just don't fill it with a hosepipe.

slob
21-03-2006, 07:34 PM
So if I use a hospipe to syphon dirty bathwater onto the garden(or anywhere else, for that matter) I presume I get nicked, even though it's second hand water! Or does the slob have to stop washing too?

Gilps
22-03-2006, 05:17 AM
That would be OK. Just don't use a hosepipe to fill the bath.

Gizmo
22-03-2006, 06:26 AM
I'm amazed, you use tap water to clean your bikes?? mine only gets bottled Evian :D :D

get a big empty 5 litre bottle, fill inside house, take to bucket tip in, does that get around a ban??

NewMon
22-03-2006, 08:58 AM
It cracks me up - you can still fill a child's paddling pool apparently. Have you seen how much water those things take? Golf courses can still water the greens - that's a real crime!

SAMMYE
22-03-2006, 09:18 AM
So if I use a hospipe to syphon dirty bathwater onto the garden(or anywhere else, for that matter) I presume I get nicked, even though it's second hand water! Or does the slob have to stop washing too?

Who are you trying to kid Slob!!! You dont wash!!!:twak:

manwithredbike
22-03-2006, 11:19 AM
surely you lot can improvise some system like long thin bags of water concealed down your trouser legs opened by pulling cords in your pockets with sponges attached to your shoes while casually pretending to be gardening beside the bike ?? i'm sure something similar was done before.

DesmoDog
22-03-2006, 11:22 AM
well I think I'll go and wash my car for the hell of it, then maybe do the bike after I've watered the lawns. Ho ho ho, god it's grim up North!

Didge
22-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I have a nice big water butt. Wash bikes with bucket of warm water, and hose off with one of these filled from the water butt.

http://i1.tinypic.com/s16etz.jpg