PDA

View Full Version : oil sight glass

manwithredbike
18-03-2006, 03:08 PM
it's probably been discussed before but i can't find any previous threads with info. my oil level sight guage is gummed up and i can't see the oil level. i just serviced it and put shell 10/40 in it. took it for a 20 mile run and -- hey presto -- bunged up sight glass. anybody got any ideas. i never cared about this sort of thing before till i got my monster. what's happening to me??!!!

Zimbo
18-03-2006, 03:18 PM
It's condensation reacting with the oil, as I'm sure you've worked out. It's common particularly on 900s over winter as the oil cooler prevents the oil from getting warm enough to burn off the moisture in the crankcase. One solution is to go for a run with the oil cooler blanked off, basically once the oil gets properly warm the problem will go away!

Shandy
18-03-2006, 03:39 PM
i never cared about this sort of thing before till i got my monster. what's happening to me??!!!

Thats just normal paranoia, i think owning a monster generally makes it worse :dizzy:

I get this on my M600, a good long run usually clears the milk off the sight glass, i don't have any fancy things like oil coolers on mine though

eonan
18-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeh I get this too. When I first saw it I was really worried there was something wrong...in fact I think I got as far as taking a photo of it in order to post it up here. :scratch:

benson
18-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Now don't laugh but here is a rather cleve antidote to milky nasty oil windows...

If you own one of those small kitchen blow torches then that solves the problem - the sort of thing for making the melted topping on creme brulee??? Just warm the glass and it all goes away...Boiling oil - works every time!:mand:

bod
18-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Or stop fooling around in the kitchen and get out and ride the balls off it...that works too:chuckle:

benson
18-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Nah sorry - gallopping gourmet for me anytime! :chuckle:
Yours masterchef...

mattjhall2003
19-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Or stop fooling around in the kitchen and get out and ride the balls off it...that works too:chuckle:

Riding it hard and long works for me too.:spin:

Sparky
19-03-2006, 05:47 PM
You could try blocking the oil cooler, increases oil temp by around 10-15C on my bike so helps prevent milky sludge.

Chris

CK & AK
19-03-2006, 06:18 PM
often a question that crops up, this one.

Try using the 'search' - and you'll get quite a few threads & posts on it

I just tapped in 'oil window' for you, and voila:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/search.php?searchid=340015

bod
19-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Hmmm ride hard and fast, just did 60 miles mostly motorway and still cloudy.
Wait for warmer weather?

benson
19-03-2006, 06:57 PM
See!!!!! :mand:
What you need is that small handy kitchen gadget!!! :chuckle:

ricky
19-03-2006, 07:01 PM
See!!!!! :mand:
What you need is that small handy kitchen gadget!!! :chuckle:
Jamie Oliver?

gary tompkins
19-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Now don't laugh but here is a rather cleve antidote to milky nasty oil windows...

If you own one of those small kitchen blow torches then that solves the problem - the sort of thing for making the melted topping on creme brulee??? Just warm the glass and it all goes away...Boiling oil - works every time!:mand:

There is a risk that heating the sightglass this way could crack it, or damage the seal or engine case. I would rather put up with a cloudy oil window TBH

benson
19-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks Gary for the sensible comment - and yes I think you have a point - actually Ray (lovely man at Rosso Corse) showed me the trick with his torch so I, as a mere mortal and not a super Ducati genius, would proceed with caution. I'll stick to me creme brulee... Just call me Jamie!:chuckle:

manwithredbike
19-03-2006, 07:36 PM
thanks for that folks. looks like i'll block off the oil cooler and go for a good blast. i don't think i'd risk using the blow torch with the rubber seal and all that.
ps thanks ck+ak, i did try the search but never thought of using the 'window' word.

CK & AK
19-03-2006, 08:44 PM
ps thanks ck+ak, i did try the search but never thought of using the 'window' word.

No probs - it seems we all need to think very laterally when doing a search sometimes on here:D and its such a shame that many of the concise posts from 02 & 03 are now all gone:(

C:)

rossi
17-05-2006, 09:44 PM
glad it's not just me with that problem,i had allso comsiderd bypasing the oil cooler.these engines are made for the nice warm italian weather thats the problem.