PDA

View Full Version : Just when the weather gets good

Mrs Soup
16-03-2006, 01:20 PM
One of my work "colleagues" forgets that mirrors are for more than adjusting your sunglasses and collects my bike on the way to a parking space on the other side of the road :mad: :mad:

I'm completely unscathed but the bike has numerous scratches, bend bars and levers, no brake pedal and a hole in the casing where he dragged it along the road under his offside cill. :cry:

I am now starting a sweep as to how long it takes to get back on the road.....:chuckle:

Nonnie
16-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Blimey, I think you're taking it very well!

It's gonna cost a packet to get it right again.

I'd have taken a sweep as to how long said work colleague wouldn't have laxative in their coffee for.

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I could kind of understand it if that had happened in the dark on a rainy night in an unlit car park but it looks like it happened on a dry day in a busy street? Not the most observant of people then your "colleague"

Laxative's sounds like a good starter. Possibly followed by drawing pins on the seat and maybe even wire those same said drawing pins to the mains (a lesson I learnt in the school physics lab many years ago :D ) Can't understand why I got suspended from school for so long!!

Yorkie
16-03-2006, 02:04 PM
As long as you are okay, thats a start.
As for the bike, their insurance should pick up the bill, get it done properly, no half measures!!

Yorkie.

Gilps
16-03-2006, 02:06 PM
You have my sympathy. That looks awful. i'd be gutted. hope it doesn't take too long to sort out.

Mand
16-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I think maybe you and your loved ones should be treated by this "colleague" to an all expenses paid holiday to somewhere very warm and very sunny for at least a month whilst you get your bike mended?

bigredduke
16-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Tell your colleague that Ducati no longer make the s2R and it is now called the S4RS and you expect a full replacement:mand:

JR
16-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh Jane, what a bummer. At least it was parked and you didnt end up under the car as well! Hope you get sorted real soon.

JR

Duncan
16-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Hi Jane

Sorry about that its only about 9 months since you got it.

It now bears a resemblance to your previous Monnie, just needs a top box

nick40
16-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Being a Welshman I am "home" at least once a month, do you need any help laying him out? If you need any help with work on your bike give me a shout

One of my work "colleagues" forgets that mirrors are for more than adjusting your sunglasses and collects my bike on the way to a parking space on the other side of the road :mad: :mad:

I'm completely unscathed but the bike has numerous scratches, bend bars and levers, no brake pedal and a hole in the casing where he dragged it along the road under his offside cill. :cry:

I am now starting a sweep as to how long it takes to get back on the road.....:chuckle:

MrsJel
17-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Glad you're ok, little consolation for u when yr bike's not.

Wouldn't like to guess how long the repairs will take - hopefully not too long. No chance of the colleague stumping up for a hire bike is there ?

Carole

slob
17-03-2006, 01:10 PM
The term "Justifiable homicide" springs to mind.

Chappers
17-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Bloody hell, my heart sunk when I saw those pics - glad you're ok though.

Like the others have said, do it all properly through the insurance, no cutting corners and saving pennies.

Good luck with the speedy repairs, hopefully you'll be back out there in no time :bunny:

singletrack
17-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I feel so sorry for you.
It's not a nice thing to happen to a shiny new bike.
I hope it doesn't take too long to get it back on the road.
Good news that you weren't hurt though.

madhatter
17-03-2006, 03:06 PM
......like the others have said, do it all properly through the insurance, no cutting corners and saving pennies.....

Just a thought.....I had the same thing happen to my old 750, when the DHL driver backed into it and knocked it over. Lots of scratched and bent bits to.:hissy: I got two quotes, one from Ducati Northampton and one from Ducati Cambridge, showing genuine Ducati parts prices, labour and cost of transporting it in for repairs. I then offered the insurance company a deal, where they paid me all of the genuine ducati prices for the parts and I agreed to do the repairs myself. As all the parts were just "bolt-on" replacements and I got them from Spareshack, I had enough money left over for a bellypan, handlebar fairing, and a set of Art cans.....so if you don't have any damage that requires a Ducati mechanic, it may just be worth considering a "pay-off" settlement with the insurance company!

Mrs Soup
17-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Thank you all for you kind words and wishes.

I'm insured fully comp, so the very helpfull people at Ducati Insurance and Norwich Union have sorted everything out and the bike is already in for repair. I am just praying there's a clutch cover in the country, otherwise I will be onto Duncan for his contacts at Ducati UK to expedite things.

I have exacted some retribution on the colleague who hit the bike. As health and safety co-ordinator (don't laugh), I circulated the text below as this month's safety bulletin.....

Do you remember when you learnt to drive you were taught to look in your mirrors and over your shoulder before making a manoeuvre, particularly when pulling out?

This check is known as a 'lifesaver' and failure to carry it out would be an instant fail of your test.

The thing is that it's not just your life you could save by doing this - it could be mine !

<<oops.JPG>>

Yes, that is my bike in the photo, the car belongs to another employee. I did sort of hope that people knowing I ride a bike would make them more bike aware, oh well…...

I think he'll be known as "the chap who knocked Jane off her bike" for a while.....

Didge
18-03-2006, 08:53 AM
I think he'll be known as "the chap who knocked Jane off her bike" for a while.....

I already know him as "That twat" etc.:mad:

Good luck Jane. Hope it's all fixed very soon.

benson
18-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry to see the phots and the damage - glad you weren't on it!

Just so you know, I had a similar run in a couple of years ago - remember it well - sitting in a late meeting hearing an alarm - my alarm- going off as an idiot in the car park ran into my bike, knocked it over, stood it up again, dropped it and then reversed over it for good measure. I was fully comp too so I got all those road racing parts back again even if it did take months and months...Buy a voodoo doll with extra long pins...I like the idea of mains wired drawing pins too - tres amusant.

My sympathies and maybe you need an armed health and safety rep???

Mrs Soup
25-04-2006, 08:48 AM

Well, this may not be a new one to some...... Ducati have lost the parts in transit from Italy :fou: :hissy: :hissy:

M&S have re-ordered my parts, but it's a big box with lots of other customer parts in it. Anyone in the North East also waiting for parts from M&S?

The order number is 9331, and was placed on 30 March 2006.

What I don't quite get is why a workshop in south wales ordered parts for Newcastle.......:look:

tamtbam@hotmail
25-04-2006, 09:10 AM
It's not goin well is it Jane.
Sorry to here of the damage :hissy: but at least your awrit.
I know what it feels like to lose your prize possesion for a while.
I got rear ended in Kuwait and it cost a grand to repair it.
:fou: asian in a cement lorry not payin attention at the lights.
At least i got an ST2 to play about with while it got sorted.:biggrin:
Hope you get it back soon and you book your collegue in for shock therapy.
Tam.

Mrs Soup
02-05-2006, 08:12 PM
This just gets more and more bizzare !!!!:shocked:

I had a phone call this moring form the repairer, they had some parts delivered this morning, but they're not for my bike

It appears that M&S sent my parts to Leeds instead of South Wales.

benson
02-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh god sorry to hear that - here's to a speedy turn up for those parts and the healing of the monster

Duncan
03-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Jane

If you get stuck for a few parts that can be easily replaced later, let me know and I will make a few calls to borrow stuff for you.

Gotta change the clutch cover on mine (different from yours) after drunken brawl in pub the other night ended up with an idiot smashing up vehicles. My clutch cover took a hit which is a cheapie compared to the guy with a Porsche who had the whole back end smashed in.

Mrs Soup
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Duncan

Hopefully the parts should all be there tomorrow, as they've only got to swap them for the ones in Leeds.

The bike would be rideable with just the clutch cover and brake pedal, but as it's an insurance repair they probably won't let me have it back until its all done.

Just don't order your clutch cover through M&S in Newcastle !!!

BTW Jon is definitely selling the superlight as the little one's big enough to do the school run pillion so he wants two seats.

Corsepilot
07-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Hopefully the parts should all be there tomorrow, as they've only got to swap them for the ones in Leeds.

At last.......

Does that mean then Damien and I will have to keep our ears tuned for the music from a desmo on you're next visit up to MX..........;)

Mrs Soup
11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Well the sun is shining and I have finally got my bike back

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yes Graham, I will definitely be riding it up one day soon.....

bigredduke
11-05-2006, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Mrs Soup]Well the sun is shining and I have finally got my bike back

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: /QUOTE]

So long did it all actually take from the 'accident' to getting it back?

Duncan
12-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Well the sun is shining and I have finally got my bike back

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Time to arrange another mega Welsh sheep shaggin, fence bitin, Baz destroying ride out.

Mrs Soup
15-05-2006, 01:11 PM
So long did it all actually take from the 'accident' to getting it back?

About 3 hours short of 8 weeks ! :on:

Duncan, quick - before Jon sells his bike! You know he only rides it on UKMOC outings ;) !