PDA

View Full Version : Monster Trackday

lardyarse
16-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi,

I am a track day virgin and was wondering whether anyone out there could provide me with some advice for the Monster trackday in June. I see that I need to tape up lights and indicators but what about things like brake fluid and pads, should I change these or come with the bike in standard trim?

I am a little nervous about the event so would welcome any advice you folks can provide.

I think my TOCA2 may have the Mallory Park circuit so will get in some PS2 time to learn the course!!!!

Thanks

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Has your TOCA2 got the new chicane on the track? We might not be using it but check the link below for pictures etc.

Phil

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=16069&highlight=mallory+chicane

lardyarse
16-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the link. Chicane looks a little on the tight side.

I like your Dodge Charger, very nice. Vintage 69?

NewMon
16-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi lardyarse, some of this may help. All things I remember from the first monster trackday.

Remember your license. I forgot my whole wallet and I was lucky that they didn't check licenses (although they ha dsaid they would do). I also had no money - doh.

Try to bring some petrol - I used two tankfuls on the day and the only place to buy it at Mallory is very expensive. I had to borrow money for this :banghead:

Ideally, you remove anything on the bike that you don't need. Mirrors was all I did. I removed them before going to the circuit and I didn't like not having them one bit. So next time I'll remove them once I get there.

Sensible checks would be oil level, coolant, chain tension and tyres. Be prepared for tyres to really scrub down on the day - mine were knackered - you need enough to get home with.

If you take a camera then take a long lens 'cos the spectating points are still a long way from the track and bikes look very small.

See you there!

lardyarse
16-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've got new BT014's on the bike with only about 200 miles of use so hopefully these will last. Not sure I fancy riding with a petrol can on the back so will fill up near Mallory and then pay the circuit prices.

One other thing, I have an iridium visor (not legal for the road) on my Arai, will this be a problem for the circuit officals?

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I like your Dodge Charger, very nice. Vintage 69?
'68 R/T 440 4-Speed. Not mine yet but if I was going to buy a car again, this would be the only one I'd have now.

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Will my "Not for road use" cans be OK at Mallory? Or do they have noise monitors?

MotoNik
16-03-2006, 12:29 PM
One other thing, I have an iridium visor (not legal for the road) on my Arai, will this be a problem for the circuit officals?

Not done a trackday at Mallory, so don't know whether they scrutineer or not (most tracks don't), but as long as you have a Gold standard lid (an Arai is fine) you won't have any problems with visors. Black ones are "not for road use" which technically means "only for use on a racetrack" - so that's fine!

Also don't forget one piece or two piece leathers that zip all the way round.

And remember to have fun! Take your time in the first session, let all the nobbers go and exercise their big egos, take you time to learn the way the track goes, braking points etc and you'll have the time of your life. By the end of the day you'll be grinning like a loon and gagging for more!

cheers,

Nik

slob
16-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Will my "Not for road use" cans be OK at Mallory?
Oh yes, NO LIMITS!

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 01:06 PM
You'll hear me coming from Leicester then. :mand:

NewMon
16-03-2006, 01:47 PM
There was no scrutineering at Mallory for the first trackday. I don't know about last year but I would guess not. Apparently, if they scrutineer, the responsibility for being mechanically sound passes from the rider to the organiser. With the resposibility goes the liability.

I didn't get any tuition last time I did the trackday - I intend to next time.

gary tompkins
16-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I didn't get any tuition last time I did the trackday - I intend to next time.

I would second that!

1st year at Mallory I made it up as I went along, as having done trackdays befor on other circuits figured I'd suss it myself. Had a good day and didn't bin it so went home happy :)

Last year I made a point of getting a one on one coaching session with the "No Limits" guys. It left me wishing I had done so in 2004 - a big help on lines, braking points etc.. and those ratty looking CB500's really do shift!

Mand
16-03-2006, 02:12 PM
I had tuition last year for my first session out last year.

It was really really useful - they are good guys and totally approachable.

I think I will probably have tuition again for my first session out again - depends on how I feel on the day.

neilp
16-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Tuition sounds like a good idea to me as a track day virgin - is this included in the price for the day, or is it an extra charge?

Neil

Mand
16-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Tuition sounds like a good idea to me as a track day virgin - is this included in the price for the day, or is it an extra charge?

Neil

It is included in your track day price.

lardyarse
16-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I am happy to hear that tuition is available. Does anyone know how much track time we will get?

Mand
16-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I am happy to hear that tuition is available. Does anyone know how much track time we will get?

In theory, we get about three sessions in the morning and three in the afternoon - if I remember? I does also depend on whether there are any accidents etc that tends to alter the schedule somewhat.

If I am wrong, I'm sure will somebody come along and correct me!

lardyarse
16-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am sitting in Kazakhstan wishing I was back in the UK. All this talk of bikes make me want to run to the garage and get the bike out. I'll have to put up with the April edition of bike magazine for the next two weeks. No bike here only work.......................

fatbloke
16-03-2006, 06:06 PM

Neil

There's loads of instructors and they will spent as much or as little time as you want.
But you do have to ask.
The sessions start at about 8:30 and last for about 20 mins.
There are 3 groups so your out about every hour unless someone has a mis-hap
and this can cause a delay depending on the situation.
The track is closed for 1 hour for lunch (the marshalls have to eat) the sessions then
continue untill about 5/ 5:30
You gets loads of track time and of course you dont have to do all the sessions
just do want you feel comfortable doing.

Mand
16-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I knew an expert would come along.... :mand:

Zimbo
16-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Back to the original questions:

Tyres - part worn woill be fine, just make sure the rear isn't square and has plenty of tread left in the centre, and the front has plenty of tread left on the shoulders. They won't wear much on the actual trackday, my previous set of Diablos last year did four trackdays and 3500 road miles. I suppose if you expect to use about 10% of tour total tyre life during the day you won't be too far out. You will need to adjust tyre pressures on the day, I'd suggest running 29 front 30 rear if it's warm, 30 front 31/32 rear if it's cool or damp.

Brake pads - just make sure they're not about to wear out! You'll need at least a couple of mil friction material on them.

Brake fluid - it's a good idea to change it before if it hasn't been done recently, track use raises the temperature of the fluid above normal and if there's moisture in the fluid it results in spongy brakes and excess lever travel.

Mirrors, indicators, lights - remove the mirrors, tape up the headlamp with some duct tape, remove the rear bulb ( as the vibration will probably kill it anyway if it's on!!!)

Make sure your chain and sprockets aren't knackered and that the chain is adjusted correctly.

Check engine oil level!

Last, do a general spanner check, if any bolts are a bit loose they're more likely to shake loose on the track.

That should do for bike prep. I will have my race van there will full toolkit etc if anyone needs access to spanners!

As for the day, there are no noise limits so race cans are fine, dark visors are also fine (a good idea in fact if it's bright).

Bikes aren't scrutineered, it's down to you to make sure it's in good condition, but track staff will cast an eye over your bike in the pitlane and will point out anything that's dangerous!

Fuel -fill up before you get there. If you run short fuel MAY be available at lunch time on circuit but not guaranteed, you may need to shoot off to the nearest petrol station at lunch time to fill up!

Banshee
16-03-2006, 08:04 PM
And keep away from Elmo, he's a git for cutting ya up.

CK & AK
16-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Tyres - You will need to adjust tyre pressures on the day, I'd suggest running 29 front 30 rear if it's warm, 30 front 31/32 rear if it's cool or damp.

spot on there Zimbo - BUT do NOT forget to re-adjust the tyre pressures again before going onto the road.

gary tompkins
16-03-2006, 09:45 PM
If it's as hot as last year was - drink plenty of fluid or you'll get de-hydrated.

jill
05-06-2006, 05:57 PM
My boyfriend has asked whether the suspension should be altered too? If so, and I quote, "how many clicks"? I think mine is in totally standard settings.

Thanks.
Jill

gary tompkins
05-06-2006, 06:23 PM
My boyfriend has asked whether the suspension should be altered too? If so, and I quote, "how many clicks"? I think mine is in totally standard settings.

Thanks.
Jill

A little more preload & compression damping on the front may help under heavy breaking at places like the hairpin, and possibly a bit more damping at the back too. It really depends on how hard/fast you ride at the track and how your bike is set up for normal road use. If it feels ok on the road I'm sure it'll be fine at the track.

I'm guessing a lot of UKMOCers leave suspension setup as normal & like me just tweak the tyre pressures slightly? Also a lot of early monsters & darks have little adjustment anyway TBH. Mallory is a pretty smooth circuit compared to some I've ridden, so suspension setup can be less critical. See if you can blag a session with one of the NO LIMITS instructors - I did this last year and it helped me no end ;)

Zimbo
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Come and find me on Thursday morning if you like Jill, silver VW Transporter van and red M900, with two Desmodue bikes, I'll have a quick look and see if we can improve it for you. It's likely your preload is too soft on the rear shock for starters, and the damping may or may not be set right, we'll have a bounce on it and see how it feels! I'm fairly certain we can make a big difference with a few minute's measuring and adjusting!

scrapps
05-06-2006, 09:00 PM
I have quite a lot of ware in middle of rear tyre :banghead: still well legal but fairly flat, dont have time of pennies to change before day (bt020 s) will this cause me many problems on day.. taking bike on trailer so no ware on way or need to use to get home. is 29/30 still best pressure to use ??

Zimbo
05-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm sure it'll be OK scrapps, if your rear tyre is a bit square that will have an effect on handling and transition to lean, but if you haven't time or cash to change it before the day it'll have to do!!! Since it's still legal tread wise you should be ok on the wear issue.
Pressure wise, 29/30 is good for fairly fast riding, steadier riders may want a fraction more (30 - 31 say) as they won't heat their tyres up quite as much whilst on the track.
I should get in early and book one of Ducati's demo bikes out for a session to save your tyre a bit too? Don't fall off it though cos you pay the first £500 (although if you fell off your own bike it may well have cost you more!)

Tigerlily
05-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Zimbo, can I book an appointment with your C-spanner please? Been waiting weeks to get one from Ducati Manchester and I've given up all hope of it ever arriving now!

Zimbo
05-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Of course you can, I'll see you there, and you can see what your monster would look like in full race trim :mand:

dlloyduk
05-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Come and find me on Thursday morning if you like Jill, silver VW Transporter van and red M900, with two Desmodue bikes, I'll have a quick look and see if we can improve it for you. It's likely your preload is too soft on the rear shock for starters, and the damping may or may not be set right, we'll have a bounce on it and see how it feels! I'm fairly certain we can make a big difference with a few minute's measuring and adjusting!

Is this the address of thursdays Handling clinic?
If you are bored I have a project you could book in thursday am! But it may just be the rider who needs the help!:mand:

scrapps
05-06-2006, 10:26 PM
cheers for info zimbo will try to book demo as want to compare my 620 to bigger bike to see if worth me investing in a bigger monnie .

Zimbo
06-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Is this the address of thursdays Handling clinic?
If you are bored I have a project you could book in thursday am! But it may just be the rider who needs the help!:mand:

Happy to help people out, and will have tools etc if anyone needs them, but obviously I will be going round myself and setting up the DD bike ready for Castle Coombe which will take precedence! By all means come on over though!

jill
06-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Zimbo

That's very kind of you. We'll come and find you in the morning; you shouldn't be hard to find with a queue of people wanting to borrow your spanners and expertise!

Cheers
Jill

PS Sorry, thanks to Gary's comments too.