PDA

View Full Version : Surely I'm not alone?

bigredduke
14-03-2006, 07:55 PM
I have just come in from the garage after fitting a carbon bellypan (courtesy of Jamie). Last weekend I fitted a short carbon tail (courtesy of Tigerlily).

I'm slowly getting the bike the way I want it and tonight I was overwhelmed (well nearly) by how good it was looking, how much I am looking forward to getting out on it when the weather improves, how much I enjoy being a UKMOC member (even though I have only met a couple of you in person) and a genuine pride in ownership that I haven't really experienced with previous bikes.
Does anyone else feel rather smug when their bike is parked amid a mass of Japanese machinery and people stop and really take notice?

I realise that I am very fortunate to have my monster as a fair weather toy and I don't have to use it as everyday transport which perhaps, puts a different perspective on things.

Anyway, (moist eyes, lump in throat, slow smile at camera), I am looking forward to meeting more than a few of you this year at the weekender and other events even if the feeling may not be mutual!:woot:

eonan
14-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Yep...hear what you're saying...but...why does she have to be fair weather?

Bikes are meant to be ridden...thats what they're for isn't it? A good hose down with cold water and a skoosh of FS 365 and, well I guess that's why they named it '365'.

These bikes have soul...they need to be driven! OK, I've only had mine for 5 months, but already I've learnt that she gets huffy if I don't use her...like anyone, she needs attention!

Sorry bigredduke...this isn't a go at you, not at all. It's aimed at some of the feckers [mostly rice burners as it goes] out there who think that Ducati's only come out to play for 3 months of the year...which just ain't true, or at least...it doesn't have to be.

Pedro
14-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Smug when parked among rice burners? You bet! The Monster always gets more attention!

I also grin every time I open the garage door, even after nearly three years of ownership!

Ped

Paranoid Dave
14-03-2006, 08:17 PM
ABSOLUTELY!

best one for me was parked on the infield at donnington for the moto gp a few years ago, there's a gravel section at the top of the hill between the old hairpin and the dunlop bridge (where the camera crane is) and kylie was parked at the end of a line of exclusive rice rockets including 2 NC35 or 75 things (the posh ones) I looked back up the hill to the row of bikes and watched people walk past them all and stop to have a good look at the duke on the end of the row :D I felt like a proud daddy that day and kylie just soaked up the attention :chuckle:

Mr C
14-03-2006, 10:09 PM
I love starting mine up when there are loads of Rice burners about. Everyone stops to look when a Ducati is brought to life.
I dont care that mine isnt as fast as the latest Japasuzhonski ZXYF-RR 1000R
Its got soul and passion and it makes me proud

nealenet
14-03-2006, 11:56 PM
There is a danger in all this pride. How many of us have heard the THUD THUD THUD of a spotty teen in a 1 litre Nova with a dustbin exhaust and some dreadful sound track bending the door pannels. Well we all turn and stare and he is thinking.."Yeah I'm really cool and everyone is admiring my ride!" and in reality we all think what a complete jerk. So next time we fire up the Duke with overly noisy pipes perhaps all those admiring glances are not so admiring. And those bike fans pointing at your trick carbon headlight conversion are really saying "why did he ruin a nice bike with that tasteless addition?" We have all done it.

Zimbo
15-03-2006, 06:09 AM
There is a danger in all this pride. How many of us have heard the THUD THUD THUD of a spotty teen in a 1 litre Nova with a dustbin exhaust and some dreadful sound track bending the door pannels. Well we all turn and stare and he is thinking.."Yeah I'm really cool and everyone is admiring my ride!" and in reality we all think what a complete jerk. So next time we fire up the Duke with overly noisy pipes perhaps all those admiring glances are not so admiring. And those bike fans pointing at your trick carbon headlight conversion are really saying "why did he ruin a nice bike with that tasteless addition?" We have all done it.

Naaaa they're all admiring :mand:

The Kevlar Kid
16-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Naaaa they're all admiring :mand:

DEFINATELY :mand: :mand: :mand: :mand: :mand: :mand: :pedro:

MrsJel
16-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Am no longer monster owner, but have not yet developed the same attachment to the triumph I have now as I had to the monster.

Getting withdrawal symptoms from the lumpy twin and so have put a really nice pic as the wallpaper on the PC at home to remind me of those days (which maybe will return some day).

Needed to change it though, 'cos after 18 months of ownership the 11000 miles (some in cr@p weather) were beginning to show in the finish (even with 365 and lots of cleaning).

Carole

bigredduke
16-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Am no longer monster owner, but have not yet developed the same attachment to the triumph I have now as I had to the monster.

Getting withdrawal symptoms from the lumpy twin and so have put a really nice pic as the wallpaper on the PC at home to remind me of those days (which maybe will return some day).

Needed to change it though, 'cos after 18 months of ownership the 11000 miles (some in cr@p weather) were beginning to show in the finish (even with 365 and lots of cleaning).

Carole

It's never too late to return to the fold.
"I tell you that in the same way (the same as in this parable) there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. "

source: Bible somewhere.

Bodybag
16-03-2006, 01:48 PM
and hallelujah brothers and sisters!! I feel some clapping coming on. Maybe even some rolling of the eyes and falling over in a sweaty mess once i'm "healed" by the lord! Praise be to the Triumph rider who repents and rejoins the Monster fold.

And all that... ssshhh Phil, people are looking at us.

Taxi!...Towers Hospital please?