PDA

View Full Version : Am I just being old fashioned?

dustybin
14-03-2006, 12:20 PM
As one of the seemingly few people who ride their bike all year round the past few months have been lonely. On my daily 90 mile round trip from home to Hemel Hempstead I would maybe see a solitary biker going the other way but that was all. Everyone else was happily sitting in their cars, radio up, heater up, unaware of what was going on in the world outside.

But over the past few weeks more and more bikes have started to appear, bringing a smile to my face. Not only does this mean that the warmer weather is definitely on it's way but also I don't feel so alone (aaahhhhhhhhh!). Anyway, the bike count is now up to a more reasonable amount with at least 15 bikes passing by me. Now here is the reason for this thread. As I see the single headlight coming the other way I start to have a nose to see what bike it is and as they get closer I give them a polite nod of the head. Don't know why, no one has ever told me to do it. I've just always taken it as the done thing, a customary greeting to a fellow biker. But recently people aren't nodding back! Maybe 2 or 3 but that's it. First of all didn't think much of it, maybe they didn't see me, but it seems to be a regular thing. I've got a helmet on so they can't be taking offence to my face and there is no way that they can smell me from there, so am I just being old fashioned? Maybe it's not the done thing anymore. Maybe it never was and I just made it up! Anyone got the answer?

madhatter
14-03-2006, 12:23 PM
As I am old and decrepid too, I can remember the early days when you flashed your headlight and raised your right hand off the bars to wave hi......these days it seems to be more a nod and a twist of your head to the right (as if you were trying to put your head on your own shoulder)....it could be that the other bikers are not seeing you nod, give it a bit more movement without dislocating your neck and see if things improve.

mark cross
14-03-2006, 12:26 PM
[ Anyone got the answer?[/QUOTE]
people round these parts always acknowledge you with a nod and i would consider it rude not too. Your not being oldfashioned just good manered, keep it up

dustybin
14-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Did think of that but they can see me, it's a very definate nod. Any more of a nod and I'd be like a chicken with a broken neck!! I will try a wave and see what happens.

madhatter
14-03-2006, 12:29 PM
...I will try a wave and see what happens.

Just be careful with the number of fingers held up!!:mand:

Headhunter
14-03-2006, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't say you're being old fashioned. I'm 28 and give other riders the occasional camaraderie nod.

Being in London mind it tends to be at W/E than in the week and most return with a nod, which is surprising considering the amount of rude ******* that live/ride in London.

Mand
14-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I always nod to people on bikes, but when I am on my DRZ - I rarely get a nod in return. Perhaps I am invisible, perhaps my smelly Belstaff (before you say anything Ped!) puts them off?

When I am on my Monster, I tend to get more smiles and nods and if I see any other Ducatis I tend to get a wave too!

I have been even been know to nod whilst driving my car :chuckle:

DesmoDog
14-03-2006, 12:57 PM
I'd thought it went like this.

You nod, they nod back (if on similar or smaller bike).
You nod, they ignore you (if on plastic fantastic, harley, or scooter)
You nod, they ignore you (if you're in a car, unless of course you're Mand in which case they probably have a really nice, but slightly confused day).

I'd look like I had St. Vitus' dance if I nodded at every biker round our way on the weekend. However, the ponces on the plastic solved that problem some time ago.

dustybin
14-03-2006, 01:20 PM
So it looks like either:

1. I live in a part of the country where people are either too grumpy or too immersed in themselves to be polite

or

2. It's me! I shall have a bath tonight, practise my smile to make sure it's friendly and not psychotic, and wave instead of nod. And if it that doesn't work I shall just have to take the Killakali route and chase down and abuse every biker that ignores me. That'll teach em!

Gilps
14-03-2006, 01:24 PM
It alway used to be that you flashed your lights, but that seems to have stopped now. I usually nod, and usually get a nod in return. It gets to be a pain when there's a bit of a ride-out coming the other way though. I nod to the first, flash the second, wave at the third, and then start over again until they've all gone past. Oh, and I toot my horn at the very last one too just for good measure.
I always make a point of nodding to 'L' platers and scooters so that they don't feel marginalized. I always appreciated it when I had my L plates all those years ago.

MilesB
14-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I'll usually nod/wave hand/foot whatever - IF I AM ABLE TO DO SO SAFELY.

If I'm commuting I am usually paying too much attention to the other traffic as they all try to kill me to be polite to another biker - who is probably going the other way and hence able to look after him/her self.

I'm normally on a scooter anyway:o , so I tend not to get waves from 'bikers', while the 50cc mob are unfriendly anyway. Most other riders are confused by the fact that I haven't got L plates on and know how to filter!

[PS: Mand - you're not the only one:mand: ]

Nonnie
14-03-2006, 01:52 PM
I'll nod at anyone me. I have now perfected the high speed side angled head flick.

I even nod at cyclists as we're all on 2 wheels.

And L plates. And small children although they generally get a wave too.

I'm a very friendly person!

bignj
14-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I nod to everybody, in return most do nod or wave, but of those who don't it's mostly Hardly Ableto/cruiser types who are to cool to nod that don't and the odd supersport rider who's bike is faster than everybodies so has no need to acknowledge you, but pops a wheelie just because he can.

STIVH
14-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm old enough to remember when if you saw a biker off his bike on the side of the road you stopped to see what the problem was and helped if there was one, you gave a hand I have even stopped in my transit and done the same and on one occasion ened up throwing an MZ into the back until we got to the next garage.

As for nodding well the majority nod back up here in the north west and north wales, you get the odd hand gesture and I believe there is also a secret code for warning about speed traps although sadly I have no idea of what exact animated action it takes?

JMo
14-03-2006, 07:42 PM
and I believe there is also a secret code for warning about speed traps although sadly I have no idea of what exact animated action it takes?

A lot of bikers seem to give a thumbs down sign these days as a signal there is a camera/speed trap up ahead - flashing your headlight in quick succession also used to mean that?

xxx

bigredduke
14-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Not quite the same, but when motoring (en voiture) through France last Summer on a family holiday, whenever I pulled over to let bikes overtake, they acknowledged by taking their right foot off the peg momentarily. Much safer than taking hands off the bars and waving!

Pedro
14-03-2006, 08:14 PM
I always nod, it's only polite after all!!

Also thank cars for moving over too!

And Mand, I too have nodded whilst in the car..... sad aren't we...

Bodybag
14-03-2006, 09:04 PM
I think most of Europe does the one legged wave. When I lived in Toulouse, it took me a while to realise that bikers weren't trying to kick cars (although I'm sure they probably do), just saying thanks. I think if it was done in England drivers, and even other bikers, would proabably think you had cramp. :worried:

gwyndaff
14-03-2006, 09:47 PM
:chuckle: I do the foot thing..

and I nod.

and also a big thumbs up to the cars that pull over :thumbsup:

two things I have noticed though...

1) the likelyhood of a nod response increases as the rush hour ends. maybe commuters are too busy to nod????

2) Some cars move to block gaps if your filtering.. C:cens:ts I give a middle finger or a Gareth Hunt style coffee gesture to these.

cassiopia
15-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Used to flash and nod and rapid flashing indicated possible trouble. Here in sunny Washington state,folks wave, sort of. The ever so cool arm at hip level fingers out pointing at the ground (bit like they spotted a turd) pretty much the same for a hand signal. But at least most folks wave. The hot hatch brigade want you to wind it on, I think they like the sound and small kids always want you to do a wheelie:yoparty:

Chaos Inc.
15-03-2006, 08:21 AM
I commute inner London everyday and the one's the
at really grind my ovaries (sorry ladies) are the ones that while filtering from opposite sides, you move aside so that hte other guy can pass first and then the rider does not even have the manners to give a thanks nod. Aaaaaargh!!! Red mist, chase down, bite tyre!!!

Mrs Soup
15-03-2006, 12:45 PM
I too nod at everyone, scooters and policemen included, if I can. Sometimes on the m'way, dual carriageway and through traffic it's not possible.

Most people nod back including about half the scooters, but less of the cruisers. Small children in cars always wave if you smile at them and about a third get told off for talking to the biker.

I think some people just don't know. A friend who was new to biking asked me "what's with the nodding ?" after her first couple of rideouts.

Mand - Thankyou for putting my mind at rest. I find myself automatically nodding when in the car and thought I was too sad for words. I shall not worry in future.

bod
15-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I pulled over at the side of the road near York last year...3 bikers pulled and asked if I was ok and not broken down(must of spotted it was a Duke).

I had only stopped for a fag,nice to see it still happens though,Ithanked them and they got on their way.

NewMon
15-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I've always nodded. I nod at coppers - who almost never nod back - I think they have non-fraternisation orders :chuckle:. I nod at scooters a lot these days as they look like sportsbikes from the front. I nod at cruisers and 'hogs' - Most hog riders don't nod except to their 'own kind'. Sometimes, I can't nod back because I am 'busy'. There are more hazards out there and speeds are generally higher for longer. Concentration is needed. Around town nodding can be tricky when concentrating on survival and making progress. On dual carriageways, high closing speeds often mean that a nod is not noticable. Recently I have found myself doing the twisty head thing. What is that all about? The thing is not to let it upset you if people don't behave like you do. Fergetaboutit as soon as it has happened and concentrate on the next thing... As for cars, take a leaf out of my friends book - he just dismisses bad behaviour with "They are scum - they know no better" and gets on with his life.

Matt Black
15-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I've been known to nod first, nod back, wave up, hang the foot out, wave down, nod sideways, up and down and after many years of riding have learnt to finely tune the nodding so as not to devalue the nodding currency as it were.

I suspect it's origins lie in medieval times where knights of old would approach each other, helmeted up on their glue rockets (or horses as they were known) and lift their visors to show whether friend or foe. (In fact the only interesting part of this reply is that lifting a medieval knights visor is the origin of the military salute) Only these days lift your visor up with your sword arm and the revs'll drop.....

Anyway, rather than indiscriminate nodding (did someone say donkey?) as an experienced rider I tailor it to the riding of the moment. And there are many many factors to take it account including traffic conditions, angle of view, speed of the approaching vehicle, speed of my vehicle, weather, type of protective clothing, tint of visor.

My own nodding creed is to never knowingly nod first to -

Off Road Bikes
Policeman
Fluorescent strapwearers
Couriers
Harleys
Customs
Sub 250cc
Learners
Scooters
Large Tourers
Goldwings
People with stick on ears/mohicans

This is not an exhaustive list and there are different reasons too - ranging from, "knowing for sure no nod will be returned" to "I know I'm not gonna like you so there". The latter will often be accompanied by aiming the helmet chin vent upwards, as if to snub.

Familiarity through Tribal Association I think they call it. The yearning to belong to a social group. In my opinion people nod first when they wish to seek acceptance in a wider biking fraternity. Others will nod back to provide reassurance to confirm the underlying sadness. People who don't nod are often assertive types, or in my case, concentrating on what I'm doing.

But beware of the nods that are actually involuntary in-helmet sneezes, or nervous ticks, teurets syndrome, neck spasms, or early symptoms of Parkinsons.... This can also happen if a stone or insect hits you in the neck

Flashing headlights more often attributed to classic, MG and Smart car owners. It also has another meaning where I come from and it has nothing to do with bikes, unless 'bikes' means something else where you come from and in that case it might.

bod
15-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Slighty camp I know but my mate (who wasn't poor bought a 2CV Dolly as a "runaround").

My 1st time in it....sorry (her) was when it was loaded with both our mountain bikes on a trip to Derbyshire.We saw two 2CV's on the way both ocupants waved franticaly,tooting horns,and flashing when we went past,we didn't wave as we didn't know the following these things had untill later.

He now has a Vectra as our mountain bike transport....but knowbody waves anymore(except the odd wierd rep):rolleyes:

The Kevlar Kid
16-03-2006, 11:53 AM
On my daily 90 mile round trip from home to Hemel Hempstead

I think I see you most mornings.. Are you a red monster heading North on the M1????

dustybin
16-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I think I see you most mornings.. Are you a red monster heading North on the M1????

Don't think it's me as I go A414, M10 and then on to the M1 for about 400m! You'll know for sure next time as I'll be nodding, waving both my arms and my legs and flashing my headlight

The Kevlar Kid
16-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Don't think it's me as I go A414, M10 and then on to the M1 for about 400m! You'll know for sure next time as I'll be nodding, waving both my arms and my legs and flashing my headlight

Thats about where I see you M10 to Hemel turnoff on the M1:mand:

I'm going the other way though.... oh and in a car at the Mo:cry: :cry:

dustybin
16-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Thats about where I see you M10 to Hemel turnoff on the M1:mand:

I'm going the other way though.... oh and in a car at the Mo:cry: :cry:

I'm back in the office from Monday so I guess I'll now have to smile, and wave my body parts, at all the cars as well as the bikes!!! I can hear the policeman now, "White coat with extra longs sleeves in a 44 required urgently!"