PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Engine Covers

eonan
12-03-2006, 08:23 AM
OK, this is what happens when you only have a picture of your bike and Photoshop. Now that I have the real thing back in my life, I realise I've got the look a tad wrong.

The engine area really should be darker, to help emphasise the frame.The Rizoma belt covers, as nice as they may well be in their own right, just do not go with any other part of the bike. That's the easy bit...even the stock covers repainted would look better.

My question though [in case you were wondering why I've posted it in the Engine section], is whether the engine casings on this model can be replaced? Are there replacement covers in other materials available for this bike? Or will it be a case of re-spraying?

Cheers folks

Pedro
12-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Paint them, much easier!

Just another observation too from the photo - your number plate looks like the rear wheel will make contact and fold it up if you hit a decent sized bump - you might want to angle it out a little!!!

Ped

Scotty
12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
could get the belt covers anodised ,

i recon blue would look quite good ;)

eonan
12-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Paint them, much easier!

Just another observation too from the photo - your number plate looks like the rear wheel will make contact and fold it up if you hit a decent sized bump - you might want to angle it out a little!!!

Ped

Cheers Ped...yeh it is a bit isn't it :shocked:

With regards to painting then...are the covers easy enough to come off? The previous owners have done quite a bit of touching up, so instead of adding another layer, I'd like to get them done properly. Are there any issues with blasting and the cases being weakened?

Pedro
12-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Cheers Ped...yeh it is a bit isn't it :shocked:

With regards to painting then...are the covers easy enough to come off? The previous owners have done quite a bit of touching up, so instead of adding another layer, I'd like to get them done properly. Are there any issues with blasting and the cases being weakened?

Covers are no prob to paint. Use Nitromors to strip them, then prep using scotchbrite and a good degreaser. I used Smoothrite paint from Halfords - good finish and very tough. Make sure the cases are clean, warm them using something like a fan heater then apply three or four light coats of paint. I also baked my under a halogen lamp to "cook" the paint on.

Ped

eonan
12-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Covers are no prob to paint. Use Nitromors to strip them, then prep using scotchbrite and a good degreaser. I used Smoothrite paint from Halfords - good finish and very tough. Make sure the cases are clean, warm them using something like a fan heater then apply three or four light coats of paint. I also baked my under a halogen lamp to "cook" the paint on.

Ped

I'm in unknown territory now...again :look: My clutch is a wet clutch. What does that mean with regards to removing the casing? My gut instinct tells me troubles?

stuartg
12-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm in unknown territory now...again :look: My clutch is a wet clutch. What does that mean with regards to removing the casing? My gut instinct tells me troubles?

Dont worry about the wet clutch. Just drain the oil, drain the clutch reservoir and pipe. Disconnect pipe and put end in plastic bag to make sure fluid doesnt get on paint. Undo all bolts, tap lightly to loosen and ease off. The left hand is slightly trickier as it has to be pulled off. I made my own puller using a hardwood block. Drilled 2 holes to line up with the inspection cover mounting bolts. Drilled a larger hole in the middle and self tapped a large bolt through using socket and ratchet. Screwed block to casing. Place a washer inside the inspection cover to avoid damaging the shaft and tighten the centre bolt. This will gradually ease the casing off.

eonan
12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Dont worry about the wet clutch. Just drain the oil, drain the clutch reservoir and pipe. Disconnect pipe and put end in plastic bag to make sure fluid doesnt get on paint. Undo all bolts, tap lightly to loosen and ease off. The left hand is slightly trickier as it has to be pulled off. I made my own puller using a hardwood block. Drilled 2 holes to line up with the inspection cover mounting bolts. Drilled a larger hole in the middle and self tapped a large bolt through using socket and ratchet. Screwed block to casing. Place a washer inside the inspection cover to avoid damaging the shaft and tighten the centre bolt. This will gradually ease the casing off.

Thanks for that great tip...very clever :pedro:

Yorkie
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
It looks okay to me!! All i would do is get a CF front mudguard! Or paint the rear seat cover or swap it for a yellow one!!

I like the high level cans! What make?? And why would you want alloy ones?

Yorkie.

eonan
12-03-2006, 01:12 PM
It looks okay to me!! All i would do is get a CF front mudguard! Or paint the rear seat cover or swap it for a yellow one!!

I like the high level cans! What make?? And why would you want alloy ones?

Yorkie.

Cheers Yorkie. I've still got the original yellow cowel, but I must say I'm in two minds about the front hugger. I'm not too keen on the one thats on it at the moment, but believe the front hugger should probably match the tank.

Maybe it might work with just the tank and the cowel matching? Might try that actually.

The cans are Sils. They are good, very good...sound fantastic, but I guess I just like the look of metal. Oh I dunno, if I had metal ones I'd probably be saying exactly the same thing about cf and asking you how to paint them to look all carbony :chuckle:

Here's a quick mock up, not very professional but enough to get the idea.

gary tompkins
12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Eonan,

Ped beat me to it on the numberplate - it's way to close to the tyre and will get trashed if you hit a bump. You'll need an angle nearer to one in my photo, and I had to tweak mine after it still made contact on one pothole infested road...

As for the covers I prefer the silver paint & alloy combination TBH. You can get the Rizoma belt covers in black anodised finish, but this may look odd with the silver engine covers and re-painting is a lot of graft? On the bodywork I favour either colour matched cowl, tank and front mudguard - or CF front guard and hugger with just yellow seat cowl.

As you can see I've even matched the sidepanels, bellypan and fairing on mine.

eonan
12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Ped beat me to it on the numberplate - it's way to close to the tyre and will get trashed if you hit a bump. You'll need an angle nearer to one in my photo, and I had to tweak mine after it still made contact on one pothole infested road...

Yeh cheers guys...I just never thought :dunce:

Yorkie
12-03-2006, 03:46 PM
It looks great, but i looks great at the monent!! Its all personal choice!

Its just a little bit of a pain getting it all dark!!

Yorkie.

eonan
12-03-2006, 04:17 PM
It looks great, but i looks great at the monent!! Its all personal choice!

Its just a little bit of a pain getting it all dark!!

Yorkie.

Ah thanks mate. To be honest I think its just the belt covers that are really putting me off now. Anodising them black might not be such a bad idea though Gary? No odder really than the way it looks at the moment!

DesmoDog
12-03-2006, 04:59 PM
It's so good the new model monnie has a black engine.

I must admit I'd wondered about the difficulty in draining the engine etc in order to paint the covers.

What about painting the lump that's left in situ? I'm guessing some sort of stove paint applied liberally with a brush after cleaning?

I remember Doms fantastic job on that M1000 (you'll have to search Eonan). That really looked the dogs.

gary tompkins
13-03-2006, 12:04 PM
It's so good the new model monnie has a black engine.

I must admit I'd wondered about the difficulty in draining the engine etc in order to paint the covers.

What about painting the lump that's left in situ? I'm guessing some sort of stove paint applied liberally with a brush after cleaning?

I remember Doms fantastic job on that M1000 (you'll have to search Eonan). That really looked the dogs.
Yes, but Doms M900 had a professional job QUOTE: "Cases are 2Pack (2K)Etch Primer, 2k Highbuild Primer, 2k Black Pearl base coat and 2K clear laquer over the top". A quick rub down and brush-on job in situ would be a bodge, and I don't think it would be long before lumps of paint started falling off....

.... hang on doesn't the factory engine finish do that anyway? :look:

I thought the photo's on Dom's original thread were all lost/corrupted during server swaps etc, but he linked from an external gallery so your in luck - feast your eyes on this baby....
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=5776

eonan
13-03-2006, 12:35 PM
I thought the photo's on Dom's original thread were all lost/corrupted during server swaps etc, but he linked from an external gallery so your in luck - feast your eyes on this baby....
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=5776

The casings with the Ducati logo taken back to the metal are lurrrrvly!

gary tompkins
13-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes it is one sexy set of wheels :cool:

Now owned by Spike who's added some very neat mods of his own, so it's changed a bit since this shot was taken....

eonan
13-03-2006, 01:43 PM
OK, Dom did the painting himself. Now, I like working on my bike, but err not really as much as that.

Can anyone recommend a reputable place where I can send off the engine covers to get done professionally?

DesmoDog
14-03-2006, 05:48 PM
GT - -I never saw the finished bike. Very very nice.

Eonan, no but if you find someone let me know.

JMo
14-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Eonan - if you really don't like those Rizoma belt covers, I'll take them off your hands (shame I just sold my standard ones, as you could have painted those) - I'll make sure they stay polished as God intended...

xxx

eonan
14-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Eonan - if you really don't like those Rizoma belt covers, I'll take them off your hands (shame I just sold my standard ones, as you could have painted those) - I'll make sure they stay polished as God intended...

xxx

Between here and the DML, that's the 7th offer I've had for these in 24 hours! JMo, I've still got the stock ones here...I'm sending them off to Redditch to be powder coated to see what they look like. £30?...cannae say fairer than that eh!

The plan is to get the casings done in a darker grey. Then, well...either get the Rizoma's re-anodised to a darker grey, or put the stock covers back on.

I'll let you know either way.

JMo
14-03-2006, 08:02 PM
I'll let you know either way.

Many thanks x

I think your cases will look good dark, and as they are the earlier kind, you can always highlight the lettering in the way Dom did/Spikes bike is - just use a dremil type tool and a steady hand once they've been painted...

If you do decide to paint the rest of the engine though, do get a proper job done - as GT says - painted in situ is really a bodge... Ideally you should take the engine to bits and do each piece individually (that's what AK did to his as part of the rebuild I understand), but at the very least get it out of the frame and all the ancilleries off it... Black/dark cooling fins are also a good idea as they hide the grime...

xxx

gary tompkins
15-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Eonan,

Sorry I can't make use of your covers mate :cry:

Spoke to Stuart to day and he confirmed your Rizoma covers won't fit my 900. The 750 & 900 barrels are different heights, but not sure if this this effects JMo's plan assuming she want's them for her 620?

I'm sure you'll find a buyer for them one way or the other ;)