PDA

View Full Version : Securing a Monster in a van

Monkey Boy
10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

Picking up my M600 next week and I am hiring a van (a SWB Transit or similar). Got six ratchet tie-downs.

Can anyone advise on the best way to secure the bike as I have not done this before.

i.e. Where are the best places to attach the tie-downs and should I have it leaning on its side stand or not (heard stories that they are not very sturdy - what with the spring with a mind of its own :D )

Thanks in advance.

Iain

Albie
10-03-2006, 08:51 PM
CK or AK are the experts or ask someone who does the desmo due racing .U could send a pm

Yorkie
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Iain,

I usually put one strap through the front wheel and one through the rear wheel, side stand down, and one over the seat. (Take off the plastic side pannels off first, this prevents them from being put under pressure)

Slowly tighten them up until it is secure!

Take off the rear hugger and put one behind the rear suspension loop towards the rear as well, extra security, one through the bottom yoke if you are going to be over safe!

Yorkie.

Paranoid Dave
10-03-2006, 09:03 PM
first rule, use some strong rubber ties or bands to hold the brake lever in, that'll stop a lot of the wobble.

Monkey Boy
10-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Put it into first gear too?

MotoNik
10-03-2006, 09:22 PM
You really only need one ratchet strap, believe it or not. Push the bike up against the back of the cab, secure the front brake with a bungy or cable tie. Take something soft and squashy with you that you can lean the bike against - a big old blanket or even a mattress, and rest the bike up against in on the side of the van. Put the ratchet strap round the footpeg and up over the bike and secure it against the side of the van (there's often somewhere on the side that you can use).

This way the bike can't fall over. It really does work - i've used this method loads of times and it's safer than standing the bike up in the middle of the van and securing with straps on each side - as you drive along the bike will move slightly and the straps need re-tightening. I discovered this en-route to Cadwell once when my bike partially fell over in the back. Fortunately it was ok, but it was a lesson learnt.

It also means you're not putting loads of force through the side stand.

Take your time though, and it would be worth stopping a few miles down the road to check all is ok.

All said though, vans are much less nerve-wracking than trailers - you spend half the time looking in the rear view mirror to check it's ok, and once you've relaxed a bit you suddenly find yourself going "feck, that bike's bloody close" only to realise.... :-D

Nik

Zimbo
10-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Personally I prefer to use two tie downs. Bike pushed as far forward as it'll go, apply front brake using cable tie or similar. One strap each side, both hooks through the tie down ring and the strap runs up over the frame rail under the tank and back down to the ratchet. Rachet straps down evenly until bike is held solid and doesn't move.

ricky
10-03-2006, 11:16 PM
You really only need one ratchet strap, believe it or not. Push the bike up against the back of the cab, secure the front brake with a bungy or cable tie. Take something soft and squashy with you that you can lean the bike against - a big old blanket or even a mattress, and rest the bike up against in on the side of the van. Put the ratchet strap round the footpeg and up over the bike and secure it against the side of the van (there's often somewhere on the side that you can use).

This way the bike can't fall over. It really does work - i've used this method loads of times and it's safer than standing the bike up in the middle of the van and securing with straps on each side - as you drive along the bike will move slightly and the straps need re-tightening. I discovered this en-route to Cadwell once when my bike partially fell over in the back. Fortunately it was ok, but it was a lesson learnt.

It also means you're not putting loads of force through the side stand.

Take your time though, and it would be worth stopping a few miles down the road to check all is ok.

All said though, vans are much less nerve-wracking than trailers - you spend half the time looking in the rear view mirror to check it's ok, and once you've relaxed a bit you suddenly find yourself going "feck, that bike's bloody close" only to realise.... :-D

Nik This is totally right moved my bike 4 times like this and all was well!!

Monkey Boy
10-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your posts, guys.

Will steal an old mattress off the wino down the arches next week. :hail:

CK & AK
11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
CK or AK are the experts or ask someone who does the desmo due racing .U could send a pm

Ta Albie for the recco:D

only just responded to the PM you sent Iain, as was off line later last nite.

Several different ways to do it.

Found the one we sent you, works for us - using only 2 tie straps, takes 4 mins when you get used to doing it...................

Good luck:)

Monkey Boy
11-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

A mate has a Fiat Scudo and having measured it up, it seems the bike will fit diagonally, no problem. Just want to ask where should I put the mattress in this case? Any other advice (based on a diagonal load) would be fab.

Works out much cheaper than hiring a SWB Tranny.

Cheers. Iain

dean
11-03-2006, 08:30 PM
in my experience the safest way.still use ratchet straps of course, routed as per common sense. definately start off with a stand though

fatbloke
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks all for your advice. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

A mate has a Fiat Scudo and having measured it up, it seems the bike will fit diagonally, no problem. Just want to ask where should I put the mattress in this case? Any other advice (based on a diagonal load) would be fab.

Works out much cheaper than hiring a SWB Tranny.

Cheers. Iain
I've got a scudo its bloody tight, take the mirrors off (the bike
not the van!)

GUNJACK
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi,
push bike into van and up against a stop of some sort ( back of cab bulkhead etc )tie a ratchet strap each side of the handle bars ( nearer the yokes is better ), ratchet both sides eavenly untill the forks are compressed about half way and the bike is upright and its wheel is dead straight, make sure your anchor points for the straps are forward of the bars and securely attatched to the floor, side stand up, no need for anything else but if you feel wary you could put a strap across the bike over the seat to really pin it down but make sure you put a pillow or something over the seat to stop any marking, trust me this is the safest , most stable way of doing it, if done right you can travel 1000's of miles like this. dont be tempted to ratchet the front down too much , it doesnt need it,if not convinced try and push it over before you leave, you wont be able to move it at all, itttss aammmaazzing. dont worry ive done it more times than i care to remember

good luck GUNJACK!

nick40
18-03-2006, 07:36 PM
This mans got it right, solid as a rock, I have transported around 50 different bikes all over the uk, and this is the best way.

Hi,
push bike into van and up against a stop of some sort ( back of cab bulkhead etc )tie a ratchet strap each side of the handle bars ( nearer the yokes is better ), ratchet both sides eavenly untill the forks are compressed about half way and the bike is upright and its wheel is dead straight, make sure your anchor points for the straps are forward of the bars and securely attatched to the floor, side stand up, no need for anything else but if you feel wary you could put a strap across the bike over the seat to really pin it down but make sure you put a pillow or something over the seat to stop any marking, trust me this is the safest , most stable way of doing it, if done right you can travel 1000's of miles like this. dont be tempted to ratchet the front down too much , it doesnt need it,if not convinced try and push it over before you leave, you wont be able to move it at all, itttss aammmaazzing. dont worry ive done it more times than i care to remember

good luck GUNJACK!