PDA

View Full Version : Wheel removal for tyre change

AdrianS
10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Just a quickie:

I want to remove both wheels tomorrow on my M600 to fit some new tyres.

1. What is the best way to support the bike - I have got a rear paddock stand only

2. How do you take the back wheel off?
( I have noticed the thread about front wheel removal)

Thanks

CK & AK
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
to do both at once, to be safe you'd need front & rear stands.

However, you only have a rear stand.

Rear:

Undo one of the 22mm nuts on the spindle, pull the spindle out, pull the chain off the drive sprocket & hook over the edge of the swinging arm. Pull down the rear brake caliper including the bracket that holds it to the spindle - so it is free from the disc.....
You should then be able to pull the wheel free - then remove the rear sprocket from the wheel, including its carrier.
NOTE: do NOT, repeat NOT lose the spacer on the sprocket carrier!!

Front:

You can put a jack under the engine to lift the front wheel off the ground (but wouldnt advise doing at the same time as the rear using this method, unless brave or stupid like me, as the bike can tip over!)

You can also sling a rope round a strong beam & around the headstock or front of frame & pull bike manually till clear off the ground.

Sensible solution when on your own & not too experienced, is to do one - and replace it, followed by the other.

Alan:)

lcjohnny
28-10-2006, 03:28 PM
:scratch: Well I see how I could lift the wheel off the ground with a front stand that lifts the fork ends or steering head. But neither of those let me check and adjust the steering head bearings. :confused:

I like to have the head races adjsuted properly - IMHO its one of the most important parts of getting any bike handling correctly.
My garage is too weedy to take the weight so I tried jacking up under the front of the crankcase with the back on axle stands.... DIdin't work the weight is too far forwards.

So how do other people adjust the steering head??

Jon G

kaysee
28-10-2006, 06:01 PM
You need one of these

bike lift (http://www.on-bike.com/products_original_red.htm)

works a treat.

Meteor
28-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I fitted a DP centre stand kit, which although it reduces my (already low) street cred to zero does allow all sorts of adjustments very easily. I also don't have to worry about the dodgy sidestand when parking on uneven ground.

CK & AK
28-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Put the bike on its side stand.
Make sure the side stand is in good condition first, and its fixing bolt is secure.
Jack under the front of bike - on the RH side & raise until front wheel lifts.
(might be an idea to have a mate just to make sure the bike doesnt move)
When front wheel is off the ground you can adjust.

Before you do this all as above: rock the bike to & fro holding the front brake - and put your hand under the yoke - where it attaches to the frame - and whilst rocking the bike on the brake, see if you can feel any play.

When bike is jacked & front wheel is free from the ground, make sure the steering is not notching in the centre - if so - it needs loosening.

If you cant get it to be smooth with no notching & no play - it most probably requires new bearings top and bottom as they could be worn.

Take care: an over tightened head bearing will cause the bike to handle very badly!!!!!!!!!

Bodybag
28-10-2006, 08:30 PM
You need one of these

bike lift (http://www.on-bike.com/products_original_red.htm)

works a treat.
Somebody sent me this earlier as I was asking about bike lifts. Much cheaper than the one mentioned above.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110392&r=2051&g=107

and they do a mechanics stool for a tenner. Perfect.

kaysee
29-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Somebody sent me this earlier as I was asking about bike lifts. Much cheaper than the one mentioned above.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110392&r=2051&g=107

and they do a mechanics stool for a tenner. Perfect.

Ahh yes it is cheaper, but you cant buy a whole load of addons for it :biggrin: