PDA

View Full Version : Points - how many have you got?

bigredduke
10-03-2006, 05:46 PM
After enjoying a clean licence for at least 10 years, it had to happen! Last Summer, I unwittingly ventured into the outside lane of the M1 whilst towing a tidgy trailer and got nicked! (am I allowed to name and shame the t**t form the Nottinghamshire Police who thought it appropriate to issue a FPN instead of a caution?:thumbsdown: )

result 3 points + £60 fine!:(

What about the rest of you? (or are you all clean as the driven snow?)

sadbiker
10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
A Monster with a trailer?

A couple of years ago on the M5 near Junction 4, my mate who was driving with a trailer got very annoyed with the car in front whilst in the middle lane, it slowed to 60, he put his foot down overtook in the outside and cut it up.

Funny thing was as he pulled off the next junction, the very same car came up behind him and put on its blue lights and siren. He would do it to a unmarked copper, Oh how much I laughed at him (what are friends for). He said it was a nice video he had to watch whilst sat in the car. Yep he got points and a fine, lucky it could have been mutch worse.

DesmoDog
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I got a lot of points in skating.

Paranoid Dave
10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
i sit here hand firmly planted on wood (does mdf count?) as i am now and have always been pointless!

Yorkie
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
90mph pulling a trailer, no lights on the trailer (It was during the day), different numberplate to the car, in the outside lane on the M1 with a monster on the trailer!!

3 points and £60. MW10

Yorkie.

This isn't my worst, but its the one that is on at the moment!!

manwithredbike
10-03-2006, 06:49 PM
first ever run out on the monster last summer - 80 euro fine and 3 points from the garda siochana in the rep of ireland. was trying (successfully) to shake off a boy racer in a merc compressor. the points didn't count here so still clean as the driven snow after 25 years. i thing things have been changed so that points transfer across the border now.

Didge
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
as i am now and have always been pointless!

Funnily enough, I've always said that Dave........that you're pointless..HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAAAAAA......HA.....HA............HA-HA....HA.....oh....I just pi55ed meself........:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Paranoid Dave
10-03-2006, 07:24 PM
thought that would amuse someone

CK & AK
10-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I am same as PD, blimey!! :eek: :eyepopping:

AK is just losing his 4 points which he was awarded in the August 2001 from his commute home in the rush hour in the car.
He was quite mad at plod that day tho, as he has never managed to get any of the cars to 48mph on that bend of the road before or since!
(we even left the police station that night after producing docs, and tried 3 times to get that speed on a tight 90 degree right hander in a 30mph limit in the Pulsar GTIR - and best was 42!!)
He still says he was stitched to anyone that will listen.............

Yorkie
10-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Mine come off this year, time to try and keep it clean for a while!!

Yorkie.

Thats my second lot hope they dont come in threes!!

Shandy
10-03-2006, 07:38 PM
i sit here hand firmly planted on wood (does mdf count?) as i am now and have always been pointless!

I did have three a few years ago, but same as paranoid dave now leading a pointless existence, just ask my ex.

This might change soon as the speed camera signs on th M4 are slowley creeping further and further towards London from Swindon (new ones appeared from nowhere the other day between junction 15 and membury services), been lucky so far but by the time you see vans on the bridges it be too late:(

tommo
10-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I had had a clean license for 8 years when they got me doing 130 on the A3 between stag hill and milford so they just ban me for 3 weeks and fined me £200.

still, no points though.

Albie
10-03-2006, 08:02 PM
Nil points. Phew they came of last year. 3 points I got after 17 clean years. Well just never got caught:running: :yoparty:

Duncan
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
No points but had to do a course last year as an alternative to prosecution for getting caught going very fast on the bike on the M5 in Devon.

After being reprogrammed by Exeter Universities Psychologist I only do 70 now. :D

ps Albie, love the avatar Slade were heroes of mine

Monkey Boy
10-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Got three points for speeding through a sleepy village in Gloucestershire back in 1999.

It was 06:40 and I was on my way to work on a lovely May morning. 30 limit but the place was dead and I couldn't be arsed to change down from 6th on the CBR6.

Next think I know is some copper jumps out of the bushes and runs into the middle of the road and holds up his hand. I had a second to decide whether to run him over or pull over. Made the sensible one :grump:

Clocked me at 58mph. Told me if I was 2mph more I would have been banned. :eyepopping:

I asked him what the hell he was doing in the bushes at that time of the day ..... probably having a slash or summat, I guess. Or worse. :look:

Didge
10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
When I last got a tug for speeding, they didn't have the points system. I had to send me license away, and they endorsed it. I thought "'kin' 'ell, that was nice of them.

dean
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
my wife has 9 points,somewhat remarkably she was only driving the car for three of them.

STIVH
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Going back to the trailer towing theme almost to the day 7 years ago I was taking a generator in tow to a customer south of Birmingham on the M6/M40 route when I noticed a Range Rover traveling at very high speed in the hard shoulder of the opposite lane it then just vanished into thin air down a private service road in a cloud of dust. Carried on about 2 miles and then saw a sign ahead warning of an Accident in Slip Road. Slow to 40mph. Then saw the Billy Plods wizzing up the hard shoulder way back in my rear mirrors (Citreon LWB Van) all the traffic including me gets shuved over one lane to the far right so I am now in the fourth lane at 40 mph unable to get back into the 3rd lane.

Next thing blues and twos right up my arse, no where to go and to add to the fun the car in front goes down to 30.....25.....20 ......looking for the cop car!!!! Finally moves out of my way after realising I could of been the source so now I go up to 50 mph and the twat speeds up to so I just bail into his lane to get the F*%*k out of the way of my unwanted multi coloured shadow.

Billy plods go by and major verbals come my direction I try and gob back about the arsehole in front of me. They then swerved across three lanes of traffic as they had obviously over shot their exit into the slip road. One lorry semi skids more dust and car/lorry horns blasting every where. Me thinks Less speed more haste on their part maybe?

Next thing the boss phones to tell me the Police are "gonna throw the book at me" as they have just rung him from their car (van phone details stuck all over mine).

I stop off at next services and offer my details to a cop car shop there and explain how pissed off I was with them.

One week later notice of intended prosecution arrives to which I then reply with a Not Guilty and six pages of exact details that happened on the day as I saw it, plus what I had witnessed the Police vehicle doing, the speed etc blah de blah and the other tossers on the road. Finally also ask them to check their on board camera.

30 days later an apology of sorts arrives and a cancelling of the summons plus advice on my future driving............rotten buggers?

Nuff said!

Trent
11-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Hopefully none... But I'm not really sure.

When we arrived here from NZ, I brought my TL1000s with me. Not too long after that I got an intended prosecution notice in the mail (didn't know you guys had so many speed cameras at that point in time! :fou: )

Sent the notice back with my NZ drivers license number etc. They couldn't put points on my license cause it was from NZ, but they said that when I swap my NZ license for a UK one, the points will go on that license. (they also stung me £130 as a fine!)

Swapped my license 6 months later, and... no points! :woot:

So... not sure what happened to the points... That was about 5 years ago, so they should have disappeared by now anyway... Hopefully :scratch:

sjr999r
11-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Had 3 points and a 40 quid fine....remmeber them!!!!! back in 1999.....wasnt even in my car or bike........but a bloody PO van 56 in a 40,tripod camera and a little white un-marked POLICE van,with a Police officer inside,not one these jobsworthy TWATS........in a saftey(i can park where i bloody like) vans..sorry RANT over 4 now:hissy:

gary tompkins
11-03-2006, 11:49 AM

I'm clutching at the MDF desk with one hand as I type :on:

Zero for me at present. Although I have had a few "Yes sir, no sir , three f**ing bags full sir" chats with plod after minor tugs, and been flashed by a couple of gatsos but luckily no NIP followed.

ricky
11-03-2006, 11:54 AM
30 days later an apology of sorts arrives and a cancelling of the summons plus advice on my future driving............rotten buggers?

Nuff said!
Fair play to ya, you beat the system!!! :thumbsup:

Banshee
11-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I got banned last year for a full house and the year before that, and i have had 12 points in the last month.. What do i win?

Banshee
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
And got flashed this morning... Hi ho hi ho its off to Swansea i go...

Shandy
11-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I got banned last year for a full house and the year before that, and i have had 12 points in the last month.. What do i win?

The grand prize is your very own bus pass!!!!

sjr999r
11-03-2006, 05:16 PM
And got flashed this morning... Hi ho hi ho its off to Swansea i go...

any chance of slowing down at all???????????????

emily's driver
11-03-2006, 05:57 PM
I've six just out of validity and three I picked up recently. Prior to that I was a very bad boy and got a ban for 14 days (no points though) for exceeding the stated limit by a small tad, and plod (Clint Eastwood) jumped out from behind a hedgerow, my having just made his day apparently. Magistrates for me (first of two visits) and a £480 fine (gulp). My own fault occifer.

Bodybag
11-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Not as bad as Banshee but I've been banned for 6 months for beating the possible max 12 points! :banghead: Also got away with a couple of dodgy incidents when they went to court. I've been chased through Bristol by the Law before but when I explained that it was the officers fault for "driving like a tw4t" he became a bit defensive and b-tested me then let me go. :mand: Caught doing 140 on the M4 a few years ago and through sheer good luck and charm (3 little old spinsters on the bench) managed to avoid a ban. Got £450 fine and 6 points for that. No sooner did I get my points removed from that then I got 3 for speeding and another 3 for failing to identify the driver of my car on a specific day! Bu99ers'll have you for anything nowadays!!

Still on 6 at the moment. Roll on the summer!! :cens:

Julie
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Julie Horne Nil point So far famous last words.

Paranoid Dave
11-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Julie Horne Nil point So far famous last words.

there are so many responses to that I don't know where to start, and most of them aren't clean ;)

Julie
11-03-2006, 06:10 PM
there are so many responses to that I don't know where to start, and most of them aren't clean ;)
I must be missing something Dave i can't see how you could begin to make that rude!

Paranoid Dave
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
your mind is nowhere near as mucky as mine thats why.

bod
11-03-2006, 07:08 PM
None,Zero,Ziltch,Nothing my licence is as clean as a whistle :mand:

Err but did get upto 9 a few years ago.....must be good luck in recent years:chuckle:

Will
11-03-2006, 07:31 PM
................................What about the rest of you? (or are you all clean as the driven snow?)

no points for me - never had any - don't want any - trick is to keep your eyes open - worked so far (touch wood) :moto:

MrsJel
11-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Zero - not had any so far - touch wood, etc, etc.

Was very lucky when driving at 56 in 30, they didn't time me long enough, so no points, just a bit of a telling off.

My hubby bought a TDM to slow him down - but didn't slow him enough - 3 points from those nice boys on the A6 in Derbys.

Carole

SazzaG
11-03-2006, 08:13 PM
No points ever. I'm convinced that the DVLA haven't got my details, as I was a sales rep for 4 years, and used to drive from Edinburgh to Sussex in 7 hours - you do the maths!

Been flashed a few times, but got away with it - my golden rule is don't speed on the M25!

My mother-in-law got 3 points for doing 38 in a 30, which wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't been the camera in her village, which she must drive past about 4 times a day. No sympathy!

Saz

fatbloke
11-03-2006, 08:24 PM
sad but true
I've never had a clean licence only had it for 30 years!!
only ever been done for speeding.
Every time it looks like I'm going to make it I go through
another camera I'm currently on (as normal) 3 points with 9
months to go.

bigredduke
11-03-2006, 08:43 PM
No points ever. I'm convinced that the DVLA haven't got my details, as I was a sales rep for 4 years, and used to drive from Edinburgh to Sussex in 7 hours - you do the maths!

Been flashed a few times, but got away with it - my golden rule is don't speed on the M25!

My mother-in-law got 3 points for doing 38 in a 30, which wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't been the camera in her village, which she must drive past about 4 times a day. No sympathy!

Saz

I thought it was a physical impossibility to exceed 30mph on the M25!

Gilps
12-03-2006, 06:21 AM
I got 3 points and 100 quid fine in 1988. An unmarked car flashed me from behind on the M25. I was doing about 80 ish at that point. I didn't know it was a copper so I floored it. Got up to about 90 but traffic got in my way. He then put a blue light on the dash (long before all this hidden behind the grill stuff) and pulled me over. He said they had clocked me at a miniumum of 92 and max of 96. I told him that they couldn't have because of traffic. That's when he told me that they didn't clock me, "it was him", and he pointed up. I got clocked by a helicopter, apparently equipped with VASCAR, and the unmarked was just sent to pick me up. Oh I did chuckle.
I don't speed in 30 limits anymore. A kid ran out in front of me in 1989. His fault entirely but didn't make it any less traumatic. He got off fairly light, broke both legs, an arm, fractured skull, but he recovered OK. I was only doing 20 ish in my Mini. Its just not worth it. It only makes a minute or so difference on a journey, and just imagine if that was one of your kids.
I may go over the limit now and again out of town. Just been lucky of late.
When they dyno'd my bike I was amazed to see just how innacurate speedos are. My Monster over reads by about 12mph at 130. Got sat nav in the car and that tells me my speedo over reads by 9mph at 80. So what are you waiting for. Go for it. The speedo is under by loads. There's plenty spare.

Mand
12-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Had my licence for over 24 years.... now that has made me feel very old. :cry:

Nice and clean until Dec 2002 when I got flashed by a stationary camera (that I pass EVERYDAY!) coming out of work, I was in a temper and just wanted to get home. Clocked at 44mph in a 30mph but my speedo said 55mph - bizarre. Got the regular 3 points and £60 fine.

That i'll teach me to not drive whilst p*ssed off! :banghead:

paul620sie
13-03-2006, 12:04 PM
When they dyno'd my bike I was amazed to see just how innacurate speedos are. My Monster over reads by about 12mph at 130. Got sat nav in the car and that tells me my speedo over reads by 9mph at 80. So what are you waiting for. Go for it. The speedo is under by loads. There's plenty spare.

Legislation dictates speedo must not read slow (ie less than true speed) or more than 10% fast. So your speedo is on teh upper limit of what's allowed (on a new machine fresh out of the showroom).

Swapping tyre sizes and/or sprockets (if the speed is determined from the gearbox) will change teh readings.

I've checked my VW Golf on the rolling road at work, it reads a consistant 3mph fast at all speeds up to 70mph.