PDA

View Full Version : Which bike to get

NikosF
08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Greetings all,

I would like some advice on what bike to get.

First - a little about me:
Been riding since 1999 - started off with a Honda CBR1000F, was way to big and heavy for me, then went to a CBR600 - loved it - but it got stolen after 5 days of ownership, then went to a VFR750 which was great - drove from London to the south of Spain and back - extreemly comfy.

Didn't ride for a while, then got a Vespa ET4 125 for commuting in London two years ago which I ride every day. The bike bug has bitten again and I'm thinking of getting a bike to replace the Vespa. I've always loved Ducatis - but since most of my riding will be city - that's put me off the sports models. Which brings me to the Monster. But I'm bewildered by the options available. If you were to choose a bike for £3,500 to £4,000 (and preferably the low end) which would you get?

It needs to be ridden year round (including the filthy weather we're having at the moment), and lightness and being nimble (like a scooter) are more important that out-and-out power - but power can also be fun! Some rigid luggage for stowing helmets while shopping help - what are Monsters like with luggage (looks as well as practicality?)

The other option I'm toying with as an alternative is the BMW 650GS. I like the idea of a fairly high riding position (but I'm only 5'10 so too high is not good either) and the winter robustness.

What would you advise Monster wise? And compared to a GS? The heart says Ducati (I'm a softy for Italian vehicles - my car is a 1967 Alfa), but the heads arguing BMW.

Thanks guys.

Gilps
08-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi there and welcome.
I've got an S2r 800 which is good around town. It is comfortable, has a light clutch and looks good too. becuase of the single sided exhaust, fitting luggage can be a pain. It will be quite good round town but is more fun out on the twisties.
I also just bought a BMW GS650. I wanted a winter bike becasue I didn't want to wreck the Ducati. The appeal of the GS was that many come with heated grips and ABS. Mine has both. The engine is indestructible apparently. Seat height is not a problem. I was surpised just how low they are. I have a 29" inside leg. i bought a standard bike and can get one foot flat on the floor with the other on tippy toes. There is a special factory lowered version. Not many about but if you want one they are about 2" lower. There is also a taller seat which can be fitted - I'm after one so my wife can ride it. She has 36" inside leg. Lovely. sorry, I was off there for a seond. If you want taller still take a look at the Dakar version. Mine came with all the luggage, 2 panniers and top box. Thats an £800 extra so worth looking for.
There are two main engine choices, 2000-2003, and 2004 onwards. The older engines are single spark plug and are said to be a little lumpy. The later engine is twin spark, is supposedly smoother and has better fuel economy. I bought the earlier one coz it was cheapish and I only wanted a winter hack. Still good for 70mpg though whilst still having fun. I paid £2750 for a 7 owner bike, 32,000 miles, full service history and dealer warranty. probalby a little over the odds but i don't care coz its yellow and looks well looked after.
I placed a wated ad on the F650 web site. a guy called me yesterday and offered me his bike. Its 04, 3000 miles, full luggage, heated grips, ABS, plus other bits and bobs, £4000. That's a bargain. If I only wanted the one bike, and I wanted a commuter, then that is the bike I would go for. He now has it advertised here:
http://72.41.130.40/
you'll find this site really useful and helpful for anything F650. i may well end up using the GS in summer too as it is so practical. i am very impressed so far. Need any more help just give me a shout.
Paul

LesPaul
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Shame you can't stretch your budget a bit for this (http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=278233488)
Nice 620 Ducati motor and the higher riding position of the BMW :D

2005 55 Reg DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 620cc
400 miles, Red. outstanding throughout. HPI clear. p/ex welcome. very best value from your authorised dealer. 07836 243458 anytime. £4,489.

Dealer Web Site (http://www.pegasusmotorcycles.com/)

Darren

Matt Black
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
There are a few people who use their Monsters daily and they will no doubt argue there are no problems with this.

However, I would say if I was using a bike all year round and needing high levels of reliablility and low servicing costs, your head should be saying japanese plus fairing.....If the couriers use it, then think about it - TDM for example.

BMW650 has limitations if you want some out of town fun.

But if you love Ducati Monsters and like cleaning and looking after them, go with the heart and enjoy.

M620, M750, M900, M1000

CK & AK
08-03-2006, 03:02 PM
for around 4k you'll get an almost new m620, or a 18month old - 2.5 yrs S2R from the current range. There are a few m800's kicking about 2nd hand, tho shouldnt pay more than 3k for a good'n which is just over 2 years old.

You'll also get (for less than 4k) most other models - but try & get an 'ie' - injected model (post 2001). False economy now, for you to save lots on the purchase price for example in buying a carbie 900 at 2k.

For commuting in town traffic you be advised to get one of the 2 models I mention above, as going bigger (like the M1000/S4/S4r etc) will be rather un-necessary, as you'll never get to use the top 2 gears on it.

There are various luggage systems for Monster - soft & hard, but do check out the zaust system when you buy a 2nd hand bike - as high level pipes dont go with panniers or side boxes ( you'll have to get std mid level cans)

Just ensure anything you buy, comes with full service history - and if just over 2 years old - has had the 2 yr/12,000 mile belt service. Check out other threads about servicing Ducati's.

C:)

MilesB
08-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Monsters and secure (hard lockable) luggage - :thumbsdown: just don't go there... get a fantastic looking bike and then ruin the looks :fou:

If you can cope with soft luggage, then go for one with a wet clutch, as the bigger engined bikes with dry clutches can be a pain in town.

However, give the Baby Numpty (Multistrada 620) a serious look... bearing in mind Ducati servicing costs, insurance, etc. Back end looks 'wow', front end looks 'interesting' ;) - but you can't see it when you are riding it. Handling is great, and there are loads of hard luggage options that look OK.

Or keep the scoot for commuting and get a monnie for hooning (which is what I do):woot: .

Miles

CK & AK
08-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Monsters and secure (hard lockable) luggage - :thumbsdown: just don't go there... get a fantastic looking bike and then ruin the looks :fou:

you are so right Miles, I was just saying you 'can' fit them (but I wouldnt!!:thumbsdown: )

you can of course change the clutch master cyl (see Stu at Spareshack about this) on one of the dry clutched bikes, which makes life a lot easier in town. (so I am told, but havent gone down that route with mine)

C:)

claicerrig
08-03-2006, 04:33 PM
you can of course change the clutch master cyl (see Stu at Spareshack about this) on one of the dry clutched bikes, which makes life a lot easier in town. (so I am told, but havent gone down that route with mine)

C:)[/QUOTE]

This is probably the second best mod after a tail chop

Changing to the uprated slave cylinder only need 2 fingers to pull the lever in much less effort required

Clai

singletrack
08-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I have a Monster (S2R) and an F650GS, like Gilps. They are both good bikes, and i love them both But it's the Monster that pulls my heart strings. If I could only have one bike it would be the Monster because I think it is much more fun and I think it looks gorgeous.

BUT - I wouldn't want to commute on it in all weathers, and they are not easy to keep clean etc.

I bought the GS so that I could save the Monster from mud, crud and salt in the winter.

I think you might find the F650 a bit gutless after the other bikes you have had, but it is definitely the better bike for commuting. And with top box and panniers it can carry an enormous amount of kit. ( I will be taking my daughter and all our camping gear on the BMW on a trip to Wales in the Summer)

Best case scenario - keep the Vespa and get a 620 Monster for fun. If you can't do that, get a 650GS - they are fun too, but not as beautiful.

Will
08-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Greetings all,

I would like some advice on what bike to get.

First - a little about me:
Been riding since 1999 - started off with a Honda CBR1000F, was way to big and heavy for me, then went to a CBR600 - loved it - but it got stolen after 5 days of ownership, then went to a VFR750 which was great - drove from London to the south of Spain and back - extreemly comfy.

Didn't ride for a while, then got a Vespa ET4 125 for commuting in London two years ago which I ride every day. The bike bug has bitten again and I'm thinking of getting a bike to replace the Vespa. I've always loved Ducatis - but since most of my riding will be city - that's put me off the sports models. Which brings me to the Monster. But I'm bewildered by the options available. If you were to choose a bike for £3,500 to £4,000 (and preferably the low end) which would you get?

It needs to be ridden year round (including the filthy weather we're having at the moment), and lightness and being nimble (like a scooter) are more important that out-and-out power - but power can also be fun! Some rigid luggage for stowing helmets while shopping help - what are Monsters like with luggage (looks as well as practicality?)

The other option I'm toying with as an alternative is the BMW 650GS. I like the idea of a fairly high riding position (but I'm only 5'10 so too high is not good either) and the winter robustness.

What would you advise Monster wise? And compared to a GS? The heart says Ducati (I'm a softy for Italian vehicles - my car is a 1967 Alfa), but the heads arguing BMW.

Thanks guys.

Buy my almost perfect 620i.e. the most reliable bike I've ever owned and that includes my BMW 1200GS!

The Monster has not had a single electrical ot mechanical fault in 20,000 miles and 3.5 years - and is still in almost mint condition - a bargain at £2,250.

See the forsale section for a piccy - or send me a PM.

manwithredbike
08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Buy my almost perfect 620i.e. the most reliable bike I've ever owned and that includes my BMW 1200GS!

The Monster has not had a single electrical ot mechanical fault in 20,000 miles and 3.5 years - and is still in almost mint condition - a bargain at £2,250.

See the forsale section for a piccy - or send me a PM.

nickosf, this is the one for you. price, reliability, injected, perfect for city riding, monster-nice. you could debate till the cows come home about luggage etc but not on this or any monster. it's like buying a ferrari and putting a roof box on it. (see the attachment, that's what it'll look like to others whatever you fit on a monster!!)
if luggage etc is the priority buy the beemer or a tdm or a multistrada. 5'10" is a good size for these.

NikosF
09-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys.

You're all right - a Monster with a top box is terrible! It's just that, living in London, a bike isn't just for fun - I commute (and need to carry stuff to the office occasionally), I go shopping (and it's almost ridiculous how much stuff you can get in and on a Vespa), and use it for transport for me and the missus - where being able to leave the lids locked in the bike means we can do stuff without schlepping them about.

It looks like the solution is to either keep the Vespa and get a cheaper Monster (like yours Will - I'll give it a think - thanks) or go for the Beemer. I can't afford to get both a GS and a Monster though. Keeping the Vespa also means my wife can still use one of them (she's only got a CBT and wouldn't ever want to ride a 'big bike').

Good food for thought and advice. Thanks again.

SAMMYE
09-03-2006, 08:58 AM
There are a few people who use their Monsters daily and they will no doubt argue there are no problems with this.

However, I would say if I was using a bike all year round and needing high levels of reliablility and low servicing costs, your head should be saying japanese plus fairing.....If the couriers use it, then think about it - TDM for example.

BMW650 has limitations if you want some out of town fun.

But if you love Ducati Monsters and like cleaning and looking after them, go with the heart and enjoy.

M620, M750, M900, M1000

what about M800ie's!!!?? They are the best

Matt Black
09-03-2006, 12:03 PM
what about M800ie's!!!?? They are the best

Sorry, it's probably because my M900 carb is so obsolete next to an 800ie that I subconciously left it out!

Mrs Soup
09-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I did have a top box on my M600, which was extremely useful, but not very pretty. The bike was used pretty much every day and got very vey dirty. The S2R has ducati soft luggage as it's too beautiful to put a top box on, but you can't get a lot in it.

I think the general opinion for keeping the scooter and getting the best minster you can afford is the best option.

NC35
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
I think the general opinion for keeping the scooter and getting the best minster you can afford is the best option.

Sooner have a monster than all that church stuff.

S*R are the most beautiful bikes in my opinion. Where ever you stop someone will come over and have a look. Especially if you have termis fitted.

Down side - small tank thirsty motor.

NC35
09-03-2006, 01:03 PM
BTW - got a bargain back end of last summer year S4R with Termis 05 plate for not much more than your budget.

Keep looking and you will be able to get a S*R

Good luck

Jim66a
09-03-2006, 02:53 PM
The S2R has ducati soft luggage

How does it work with the exhaust? Do you have a photo of the other side?
I take delivery of my S2r in a couple of weeks and was looking for some soft luggage to carry my kit to Assen in the summer.

Gilps
09-03-2006, 03:28 PM
How does it work with the exhaust? Do you have a photo of the other side?
I take delivery of my S2r in a couple of weeks and was looking for some soft luggage to carry my kit to Assen in the summer.
You only get one side because of the exhausts. Looks a ittle odd but I guess if you've got to carry stuff and you haven't got a GS650 it's the only way to go.:rolleyes:
I tend to just use a backpack on my S2r but then I don't carry much when I ride it. I think Bagster do a tank bag too for the Monster. Remember though that we've got plastic tanks so magentic tank bags won't work.

Bodybag
09-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Do you know whether the tank on an S4 is metal or plastic? I thought mine was metal.

Gilps
09-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it's just the "r" stuff thats plastic.

singletrack
09-03-2006, 03:48 PM
The newer 620 tanks are plastic too.

NikosF
21-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I got .... the GS. In fact - the one that Gilps pointed out (thanks for that). Rode it back from Wales to London on the weekend - a lot of fun on the backroads. It's far from perfect (50hp isn't a lot, especially at motorway speeds, and the single cylinder is not the smoothest engine ever created) - but after two days in London traffic I'm glad I got it. The SUV-like riding position is great, it's got ABS to get me out of a crunch, the heated grips are GREAT, and it looks OK with a top-box.

A Ducati is definitely in my future - but as a pure fun, weekend bike. I'll be back...