PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

Tarmacsurfer
06-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Evening all

Right this might sound stupid but I've got a 98 m600 and I've got too much play in the clutch lever but when I go to adjust in with the cable adjuster (the same as the throttle cable) and its not there. The cable apears to be sealed. I get out the Hayes guide and its the same as above ...How do I adjust the clutch cable play?

Cheers all and safe riding

Lost Again
06-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Umm, that'll be because its a hydraulic clutch then.

stuartg
06-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Evening all

Right this might sound stupid but I've got a 98 m600 and I've got too much play in the clutch lever but when I go to adjust in with the cable adjuster (the same as the throttle cable) and its not there. The cable apears to be sealed. I get out the Hayes guide and its the same as above ...How do I adjust the clutch cable play?

The clutch is a hydraulic system. On top of the lever is a reservoir. A good starting point would be to ensure there is the correct level of brake/ clutch fluid in. Secondly check the line for any leaks down to the left hand engine casing.

Are you having problems with the clutch operation? eg changing gears/ crunching, etc.
Has the play in the lever got worse?

Didge
06-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Evening all

Does the clutch operate ok? That is, it doesn't drag, causing crunchy gear changes.
If the clutch is not operating properly, bleed it, and add new fluid, as you might have air in the hydraulics.
If it works ok, even with the play on the lever, leave it be, but there isn't normally too much play on them.

dustybin
06-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Evening all

Richard, it may sound like a stupid question but there will be quite a few of us on here who didn't know the answer. I always assumed it was a clutch cable and I wouldn't have known different unless either someone on here had asked about it or I had needed to adjust one myself, in which case I would have started a thread on the site with 'This might sound stupid but....'. If you don't know ask. Believe me there will be a lot more stupid sounding questions from me in the coming months.

Shandy
06-03-2006, 07:02 PM
You might need to look at the master cylinder (part of the handle bar lever assembly) or the what i think they call the release cylinder (part of the clutch on the engine) if either of the cylinders are a bit siezed or the seals are worn it might not be fully retracting leaving the lever falpping about a bit.

Had mine looked at on the last service cos it was heavy on the lever and they changed the seals and piston on the master cylinder, its worlds better now.

Or it could be as stuartg mentioned not enough fluid, thats the one to check first.

Good Luck

rxtim
07-03-2006, 07:38 AM
As an easy start, cable tie it back overnight and see if that helps.