PDA

View Full Version : Charity Fundraiser

Bodybag
05-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Please take a look at this eBay auction. I'm not involved in anyway whatsoever (or know anybody involved) but having read the full thread I think its worth the small amount of money this guys asking.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8034589307&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1

Phil (charity softie)

bigredduke
05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
I can't comment on this individual, but a neighbour of mine who is an IAM instructor has raised loads of money for this charity. It provides motorcycles (Honda's I think) for medics in remote parts of Africa which enables them to cover a much bigger area than they would otherwise be able to do.

DesmoDog
05-03-2006, 07:55 PM
No, and I won't look at the site either. Cynical me but it's just too easy to fleece people via the internet - and the best cons are based on "well it didn't cost me much".

Bodybag
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
He's a Power Seller with 1542 positive feedback. I think that speaks for itself. Anyway, the main reason I mentioned it was for the actual item he's selling. The charity bit was just nice to see on the end of the link. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to do anything.

crust
05-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Most of what he is selling is available for nothing at Ducati.com and the rest can be be found for nothing on the net with a bit of digging.

:)Crust

CK & AK
06-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Riders for health is a legit charity.

Last year, when one of the DSC racers tragically died following an accident on a trackday at Brands, there was a memorial trackday later in the summer for Dave.

All money (quite a substantial amount too!) raised went to RFH

http://www.riders.org/en/html/home.php

nik_the_brief
06-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Any bidders (for stuff they can get for free of 'tinternet) would be paying for this guy's holiday to ride a bike in the Enduro Africa Motorcycle Challenge without him actually having to shell out anything himself. Very charitable! :fiery:

I can picture him now down the pub - "I do a lot of work for charidee mate but I don't like to talk about it..."

They may be a kosher charity but how can anybody be sure that they'll benefit.

Call me a cynical old bastard if ya like, but at least if I put money into a charity tin directly I can be almost certain it'll go to the right place.

DesmoDog
06-03-2006, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't even put money in a tin. When I was at uni I had a "mate" who discovered the wheeze of the percentages game for charities. He was a medical student and set up a charity where the money would go to medical research. He paid himself quite a bit and it was all legal. Probably running a not for profit company now.
You see the same now with those annoying studento types that were coloured bibs and ask you to set up an account. They take commission on the donation, you can bet that the overheads on the admin team will take up a further slice then there's some toss pot who promotes the whole thing "for free" but who is flown in for events, stays in a luxury hotel and then eats a gourmet meal. Bah.

PS I'm not cynical, I could be described as cylindrical - or maybe barrel shaped

Nonnie
06-03-2006, 03:39 PM
They're called Chuggers. Charity Muggers.

However, I feel a bit sorry for pbodycote who only posted it up because he thought it was a nice idea and he's a charity softee and you've all totally rained on his parade!. Awwwww.

CK & AK
06-03-2006, 03:42 PM
not ALL of us Nonnie :(

C

Nonnie
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Sorry Charlotte. I made a sweeping generalisation there which was rude, unfair and undoubtedly incorrect!

DesmoDog
06-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry Charlotte. I made a sweeping generalisation there which was rude, unfair and undoubtedly incorrect!

OK so not all of those wearing bibs are chuggers, but they are bloody annoying.

Sorry for raining on your parade pdcote. Like nonnie says, the sentiment is sound.

manwithredbike
06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
charity rip offs etc - my son buys psp games for £35 each. i reckon they're worth about a fiver, one example. mr sony must have a great laugh down the pub. the point is - there's no real difference, it's just another way of getting some of our money. if someone wants the cds with all the info and can't be bothered to browse for it then it's good value.

Bodybag
06-03-2006, 05:31 PM
However, I feel a bit sorry for pbodycote who only posted it up because he thought it was a nice idea and he's a charity softee and you've all totally rained on his parade!. Awwwww.

I'm not in the least bit phased by people's views. Everyone's entitled to them. I just thought it was a slightly different angle to the buy from me and the money goes in my pocket routine that most ebayers use.

If you don't want to bid, don't. If you do then crack on.

:mand:

Nonnie
06-03-2006, 05:55 PM
I should have been a diplomat or something. I should really be working for a foreign embassy in a warm land far away.

I know this. I'm just waiting for them to contact me.

Bodybag
06-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I hear Iraq's warm at this time of year. :mand:

Nonnie
06-03-2006, 06:11 PM
I said diplomatic not psychotic.

Bodybag
06-03-2006, 06:14 PM
How about sorting out the Iranian Nuclear disagreement then?

Either that or be the British Consul for Malaga. I know, I know, the decision would be a toughie and I'd struggle to choose too.

Bodybag
07-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Just so that you know,

Last night I received an email from the guy who has the ebay listing and this is what he says:

Thanks - you can also get them to take a look at www.bikersjersey.com - it is the Ducati dealership I work at in Jersey. We can supply parts for Ducati (plus many other brands) VAT free to customers in the UK......

Owen

Perhaps the cynics might now be a little less cynical!!

P.S. Anyone fancy a trip to Jersey in the summer for some Tax Free Shopping?

Nonnie
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM
A ha! Offshore motorcycle shopping! I bought a visor from offshoremotorcycleparts based in Jersey. They sell on Ebay too. I got a visor that would have had to have paid 42 quid for for 7 quid. Bargain!

Only problem was it took me a 150 mile round trip to find someone to change the visors over for me. I couldn't do it. Bloody Arais!