PDA

View Full Version : How true is that new TV campain

bod
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
You must off seen it by now the one with the bloke at the T junction,quick look left and right then pull out onto a bike ouch!

We all know it happens (last month for me, 30MPH zone saw car backing out of drive, in an urban area,was probably only doing 25MPH)

Had plenty of time to stop for car drivers error...this time!

Lets hope some moterist take note of this inbetween watching Eastenders!!!!

bod
05-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Hmm must read through post before listing (please excuse spealings)
But you get my drift,even followed a car today with 2 "Think Bike" stickers in the rear screen just as he was on his phone, eating food, and turning to talk to his passenger,oh and driving Tosser!

dlloyduk
05-03-2006, 04:13 PM
That advert scares me! It worries me every time I see it!
Simply I trust no one at junctions untill I can look them in the eye.:eek:

spacemonkey
06-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Still, at least Nanny is changing her tack again. The last bike accident advertts was putting all the responsibility in the hands of the biker to see the driver who didn't see him. It's about time they targeted the right procrastinators (sp? Sorry can't be arsed to check) the evil mototrists.

ps when driving my car it is sometimes very difficult to spot bikers, even when looking. It only needs a very quick lapse of concentration, and even the holier than though mob have to admit they lapse sometimes. Nobody is perfect, but maybe that is why they are called 'accidents'... some drivers do deserve to be shot though.

Gilps
06-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Part of the problem lies with the size and width of the A Pillars in cars. In a quest to make cars safer for the driver the pillars are getting bigger. This reduces the field of vison. Recent tests show that the average driver, both car and bike, glances when checking for oncoming traffic at a junction. The length of the glance is aout 0.3 seconds on average. A motorbike travelling at 50 miles per hour, at a certain distance and a cetain angle can be obscured by the A pillar for up to 0.4 seconds, hence the driver really does not see you.
Research is continung and steps may be taken to force car manufacturers to look at the whole safety package, pedestrians, other motorists, as well as the driver of the car. Only then will things get safer for bike riders. Until then I will continue to assume the driver has not seen me. I'd rather be slower and in one pice than quick and lame. The great thing about being in your fourties is that you are too old to live fast and die young.

ricky
06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
I had an upset with a taxi driver a few months ago, he pulled clean in front of me in the pissin rain so i took avoiding action and slid up the road on my knees!!:dizzy:
He drove on but got caught at traffic lights so i had him out of the car and if he hadnt of being about 60 i'd prob be in jail now!! He claimed he didnt see me which is fair enough so i said to drive up to my house and we can talk about him re-embursing me for any loss or work that had to be done to the bike. Wouldnt have being alot cause i was driving with manners, anyway i give him my address and he heads of in that direction, i follow slowly with bent handle bars and sore knees :grump: Needless to say he didnt turn up!!:hissy: Thats what you get for trying to be decent!! A couple good lessons were learnt though, 1. Dont pull front brake in rain!!:fou: 2. Dont wear jeans on bike!!
3. Get drivers details BEFORE they drive away!!