PDA

View Full Version : Is This Normal?

eonan
05-03-2006, 12:15 PM
This sprocket is brand new [Ducati part]. I went out for a 50 mile ride in gthe rain, with probably quite a bit of salt still lying around.

When I got back, I hosed her down with cold water, and doused her in FS365.

That was a week ago...and now the sprocket looks like this :freak:

Paranoid Dave
05-03-2006, 12:20 PM
its a good idea to have some greasey lube on the sprocket anyway to protect it a bit, did you wipe and dry the sprocket after you hosed it, otherwise the FS365 would surely just trap the moisture in. Steel sprockets will always rust if added to salt and water and not cleaned and dried.

JMo
05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
You ride a bike in winter, and live in the UK (Scotland no less!) - of course it's normal x

xxx

Didge
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
This sprocket is brand new [Ducati part]. I went out for a 50 mile ride in gthe rain, with probably quite a bit of salt still lying around.

When I got back, I hosed her down with cold water, and doused her in FS365.

That was a week ago...and now the sprocket looks like this :freak:

It wouldn't be like that if the chain was properly oiled.:rolleyes: Look at it! It's as dry as a lubra's loincloth. It makes me want to weep seeing a chain & sprokett like that.
Put some chain oil on it man, and keep it wet with said oil. Better still, buy a ScottOiler, then it'll NEVER get dry ever again.
Personally, I think anyone not fitting a ScottOiler or similar device to a chain driven bike, needs a damn good rodding.:twak:

Yorkie
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Oil it up! Clean the rust off and re-lube!!

Yorkie.

bod
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Make sure to apply lots as to coat the back tyre and stop the rubber from rusting too:)

Yorkie
05-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Roads must be to dry and free from dirt and salt where you are, if you have to resort to that Bod!!

I get enough oil off my oil breather to keep the tyre slick!!!

Nearly binned it today a little too much grit on the roundabouts in North Yorkshire, still didnt stop me surfing though, just chose a cleaner route around the roundabout!!

Yorkie.

bod
05-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Twas in garage earlier and nieghbour said "nice day to get your bike out"
I dare not look at it after parking it up for two weeks covered in salt,promptly jumped in car and off to B&Q I went.

Does anybody do a bike valet service?

Paranoid Dave
05-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Yes, I charge £1200 per hour :D

eonan
05-03-2006, 04:24 PM
It wouldn't be like that if the chain was properly oiled.:rolleyes: Look at it! It's as dry as a lubra's loincloth. It makes me want to weep seeing a chain & sprokett like that.
Put some chain oil on it man, and keep it wet with said oil. Better still, buy a ScottOiler, then it'll NEVER get dry ever again.
Personally, I think anyone not fitting a ScottOiler or similar device to a chain driven bike, needs a damn good rodding.:twak:

Its a trick of the light...that chain is glistening with oily goodness...drip fed to her from your recommended device :thumbsup:

Pedro
05-03-2006, 04:38 PM
I'd take that off, clean it up and coat it with copious amounts of copper grease, particulalry on the splines on the shaft else it'll seize on there good and proper (eh GT?)

The copper grase will also keep the snot at bay

As Didge says, Scottoiler is a good idea

Ped

dam
05-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Get a "real" cover for it:mand: not one of those silly see-through jobbies

eonan
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
If I wanted 'real' covers, I'd have bought a BMW :rolleyes:

gary tompkins
05-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I'd take that off, clean it up and coat it with copious amounts of copper grease, particulalry on the splines on the shaft else it'll seize on there good and proper (eh GT?)

The copper grase will also keep the snot at bay

As Didge says, Scottoiler is a good idea

Ped

Ohh yes - what supersplediferous fun I had cutting the :cens:ing thing off with a combined 2 day angle grinder, dremel & chistle attack. Did have a nice picture somewhere of the resulting 3D jigsaw puzzle, but think I deleted it from the PC in disgust.

I would get ones handyman to grease thet blighter up fast old bean!

Didge
06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Its a trick of the light...that chain is glistening with oily goodness...drip fed to her from your recommended device :thumbsup:

Well done that man! I stand corrected on my obviously too hasty observation of your chain Eonan.
Yet another who has seen the Scottoiler light.:thumbsup:

dam
07-03-2006, 10:42 AM
If I wanted 'real' covers, I'd have bought a BMW :rolleyes:

Now your just being silly:spin: :spin: