PDA

View Full Version : Simple, cheap alarm 'system'

bigredduke
02-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I have been working on a simple alarm for my S4R as the proprietory ones on the market seem so expensive for what they are! although I am sure they are very good.

It uses a simple tilt switch that is activated when the bike is moved to the upright position ie. taken off the sidestand. I have fitted a small toggle switch under the seat and a small weatherproof siren fits neatly behind the left-hand side panel (it actually lodges in the 'v' of the frame and is secured with a cable tie). The tilt switch is a small plastic job about the size of a key on a computer keyboard and it has a little lug with a hole on to fix in position. I fixed mine with a little machine screw to the left hand side of the plastic battery box under the tank which is very neat.

When the bike is parked on the sidestand, it is simply a matter of unlocking the seat, flicking the toggle switch and replacing the seat which takes seconds.

The siren is rated about 110 decibels and is very effective! My only reservation is that someone moving the bike may get such a shock that they drop it!:cry:
I have found that to make the tilt switch work effectively, I have to lean the bike a little further over to the left than normal before putting it on the sidestand but that is not a problem.

I assume the kit will fit all monsters and if you want more details, send me a pm. If you are a bit ham-fisted, I guess I could make up a kit for under £30 including p & P!

I have included a diagram which is a bit simplistic but should give you a rough idea what I am blethering on about!:confused:

ricky
02-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Dont mean to alarm ya mate but thats the make up of an under vehicle booby trap!! :eek: Im not goin to annoy you at Arrow Mill!!:mand:

bigredduke
02-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Dont mean to alarm ya mate but thats the make up of an under vehicle booby trap!! :eek: Im not goin to annoy you at Arrow Mill!!:mand:

It never occurred to me to replace the siren with semtex! Hmmmm, wonder if I can get some on ebay?

ricky
02-03-2006, 08:30 PM
It never occurred to me to replace the siren with semtex! Hmmmm, wonder if I can get some on ebay?
Hey im from n, ireland i carry the stuff all the time, ill bring some over with me for the weekender!!! Have abit of fun!:flamed: (oh by the way im jokin if any goverment agencies are reading!!:look: :look: )

bigredduke
02-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey im from n, ireland i carry the stuff all the time, ill bring some over with me for the weekender!!! Have abit of fun!:flamed: (oh by the way im jokin if any goverment agencies are reading!!:look: :look: )

How do you know I don't work for one?

Sorry folks, going off the subj. here! Is it possible to hijack one's own thread?

manwithredbike
02-03-2006, 08:42 PM
semtex - with decommissioning and all that they're giving it away now really cheap. i bought a stone of it plus 3 armalites on ebay for £34

your alarm circuit is very simple but effective.
if you wanted the sounder to sound for a set period after activation you could modify the circuit with a simple timer relay.
as it is now, the sounder will stop as soon as the bike is returned to the stand - maybe that's a better idea..... although a thief with half a brain and a van will realise this and lift it accordingly.

ricky
02-03-2006, 08:44 PM
How do you know I don't work for one?

Sorry folks, going off the subj. here! Is it possible to hijack one's own thread?
Hi jacker and bomb maker?? Your a scary Person!!:eek: ok i'd better say that i like your alarm its simple but effective i bet!!

bigredduke
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Curious that both replies to this thread are from N.I. members is it not?

bigredduke
02-03-2006, 09:18 PM
semtex - with decommissioning and all that they're giving it away now really cheap. i bought a stone of it plus 3 armalites on ebay for £34

your alarm circuit is very simple but effective.
if you wanted the sounder to sound for a set period after activation you could modify the circuit with a simple timer relay.
as it is now, the sounder will stop as soon as the bike is returned to the stand - maybe that's a better idea..... although a thief with half a brain and a van will realise this and lift it accordingly.

No, because if they were to lift it, they would have to maintain the same angle as if the bike were still on it's sidestand which would be quite difficult!

ricky
02-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Curious that both replies to this thread are from N.I. members is it not?
I noticed that myself!! :worried:

Pugi
02-03-2006, 09:59 PM
It uses a simple tilt switch that is activated when the bike is moved to the upright position ie. taken off the sidestand.

My only reservation is that someone moving the bike may get such a shock that they drop it!:cry:

Was thinking the same when I read it first. Why don't you tilt the mechanism, setting it to trigger when the bike is only half way to upright? That way they'll hopefully drop it to the right side (the left that is) and hopefully your sidestand will hold.

You can of course futher modify your system, making the frame conductive when the alarm is triggered. That'll teach them a lesson. :roger:

STIVH
02-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Not sure if you have these over in N.I but if you pop down to your local "maplins electrical store" they have exactly the same toggle switch and movement sensor that you place in line onto your vehicle horn. The whole lot costs about £8.00 including the connectors. Only problem is once it starts you can't stop it unless you know where the on off switch is.