PDA

View Full Version : First Bike.

bad-yeti
28-02-2006, 12:36 PM
Guys my girlfriend is about to take her DAS in May and it's her birthday n mid April, so I was thinking about buying her a Monster 600, any thoughts, she's probably about 11 stone all leathered up.

Would the 600 be enough? SOme people say it's underpowered and as soon as you get one you will want a bigger one....is this really that true?

Thanks for any advice.

BY

Oh yes she wanted a 748 but I thought that that was crazy as a first bike.

Pugi
28-02-2006, 12:41 PM
A Monster for birthday? Wow...you must really like her.
As for the 600 it's probably enough even though I've only ridden one. I opted for a 750 with Keihins as my first bike, even if I had my mind set on a 900. Happy with my choice though.

bad-yeti
28-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah she's pretty cool and has huge.....erm...heart :mand:

So the 600 wouldn't be too restrictive then, I take it that they handle as well as the 900s if set up right.

BY

stuartg
28-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Guys my girlfriend is about to take her DAS in May and it's her birthday n mid April, so I was thinking about buying her a Monster 600, any thoughts, she's probably about 11 stone all leathered up.

Would the 600 be enough? SOme people say it's underpowered and as soon as you get one you will want a bigger one....is this really that true?

Thanks for any advice.

BY

Oh yes she wanted a 748 but I thought that that was crazy as a first bike.

Owww you've started something now. You'll get the 600 brigade singing its praises and the 900 lot saying it won't be enough and at the end you'll be none the wiser.

However, for my 2 penny worth I am 6'2", weigh approx 14stone and ride a 600 Monnie. As standard it did the best part of 110 mph top end, good bottom end acceleration, not to good past about 70. Anything above 80mph is pretty uncomfortable anyway. If the performance gets a little boring you could swap the 15t front sprocket for a 14t which will increase acceleration and you will still get best part of 100mph. The 600 is quite sprightly around town and the power is more useable in this environment, a 900 would be better if longer distances are her thing or a 750 would be a good compromise.
A 600 would also be a fair bit cheaper to buy and insure and there are probably more around.

Hope this helps
Stuart

sadbiker
28-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Go for a 02/03 620, twin front discs a little more comfortable power and prices second hand are reasonable.

mark cross
28-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Owww you've started something now. You'll get the 600 brigade singing its praises and the 900 lot saying it won't be enough and at the end you'll be none the wiser.

However, for my 2 penny worth I am 6'2", weigh approx 14stone and ride a 600 Monnie. As standard it did the best part of 110 mph top end, good bottom end acceleration, not to good past about 70. Anything above 80mph is pretty uncomfortable anyway. If the performance gets a little boring you could swap the 15t front sprocket for a 14t which will increase acceleration and you will still get best part of 100mph. The 600 is quite sprightly around town and the power is more useable in this environment, a 900 would be better if longer distances are her thing or a 750 would be a good compromise.
A 600 would also be a fair bit cheaper to buy and insure and there are probably more around.

Hope this helps
Stuart

Sounds like wise words, go for the 600

bad-yeti
28-02-2006, 02:50 PM

Hope this helps

Stuart

Yes it does, thanks very much, very informative.

Well the 600 it is then :D now i've just got to strip it and powder coat the frame and wheels white and paint everyting Blue.....bah....me and my stupid ideas :D

Dave G
28-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Nothing to do with engine power etc., but,is she intending to sit het test on this monster?
If so, then I dont think it would be the easiest bike to use because of the limited steering lock and clutch action etc.

If its for after the test, then go for it. In fact why dont you go the whole hog and get her a matching S2R like yours, ideal first bikes too.

norrie
28-02-2006, 03:11 PM
My better half has a 600 Monster and is well pleased with it.
Yes it is slightly underpowered but I often take it out and can keep up with people no probs.
It handles better than most bikes and it has a low seat height and feels very light.
Ideal for a women.
Plus if you buy second hand and get it for a good price you should get your money back on it even if she gets bored of it.
If you plan to do a bit of work on it try and get one thats a bit rough that you can pick up cheap.
That's what I done.
Hope this helps.

Norrie.

sadbiker
28-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Just to give you an idea, my other half swapped a zx6r for her monster 620 3 1/2 years ago, it was the best move she made, it gave her back the confidence than she had lost after a accident a few years back, which the zx6 never gave (it was to quick in accel and to smooth for her).

On the monster she has toured france a few times, gone to Bologne, over the alps to see its maker, and run up 13k (a small mileage compared to a few on here).

Our local dealer who sold her the bike has never been able to get her to move "up", she is happy with her 620, even commenting once about a Ducati ladies track day that the 900 didn't feel much faster. (we think it was poorly set up for all those defensive 900 owners).

Having seen the way some here ride their 600's I don't think power is a issue. It is a enjoyable bike, always brings a grin to her when she rides it.

So the 600/620 can do what ever you want, the important thing is enjoy it.

bad-yeti
28-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Nothing to do with engine power etc., but,is she intending to sit het test on this monster?
If so, then I dont think it would be the easiest bike to use because of the limited steering lock and clutch action etc.

If its for after the test, then go for it. In fact why dont you go the whole hog and get her a matching S2R like yours, ideal first bikes too.

No she will do her DAS with their bike.

Eeeek Money, got alot of projects on right now, cant afford an S2R for her, maybe next year.

BY

bad-yeti
28-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Just to give you an idea, my other half swapped a zx6r for her monster 620 3 1/2 years ago, it was the best move she made, it gave her back the confidence than she had lost after a accident a few years back, which the zx6 never gave (it was to quick in accel and to smooth for her).

On the monster she has toured france a few times, gone to Bologne, over the alps to see its maker, and run up 13k (a small mileage compared to a few on here).

Our local dealer who sold her the bike has never been able to get her to move "up", she is happy with her 620, even commenting once about a Ducati ladies track day that the 900 didn't feel much faster. (we think it was poorly set up for all those defensive 900 owners).

Having seen the way some here ride their 600's I don't think power is a issue. It is a enjoyable bike, always brings a grin to her when she rides it.

So the 600/620 can do what ever you want, the important thing is enjoy it.

Music to my ears, thanks, I appreciate your input.

BY.

Nonnie
28-02-2006, 05:50 PM
I got bought a 620ie Christmas before last.

It still often does more than I want it to. Something with my right hand being a little over confident they tell me.

I haven't reached it's limits, not bored with it and we're good friends too.

fatbloke
28-02-2006, 06:02 PM
If your budget allows try for a 620 its a nicer bike with the fuel injection new frame etc.

benson
28-02-2006, 06:43 PM
The 600 or 620 should suffice - I had a 600 for a couple of years and only really traded it is for the 900 because of having a pillion quite a lot of the time. The power was fine and it was great great fun.

Meanwhile is Will still selling his bike? It was on sale on the forum for £2250 I think....

Will
28-02-2006, 07:13 PM
The 600 or 620 should suffice - I had a 600 for a couple of years and only really traded it is for the 900 because of having a pillion quite a lot of the time. The power was fine and it was great great fun.

Meanwhile is Will still selling his bike? It was on sale on the forum for £2250 I think....

YES - still selling my 620i.e, pics in the for sale section - it is a bargain! I have just had the belts done and the price remains the same - if someone doesn't buy it soon I'll have to donate it to charity!!

Mrs Soup
01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I had a 600 for 6 years before trading up to the S2R last summer. The only complaint I had about the 600 was the carb icing. Having done this winter on an injection bike I would recommend the 620 if funds will allow.

rxtim
01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Bought my 600 when I still had the Busa.

Love the Monster, I wish I had bought one as my first bike instead of a CBR600. It's plenty quick enough to learn on once you've passed your test.
And you'll obviously want to stick termis on!

Bought a 916 and sold the Busa - speaks volumes for Ducatis.

Monster used every day, not had one spot of bother.

Phoenix
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I had a cbr600 for my first big bike.
Ok but I wished I'd had my 600 monster instead first.
I've had mine for 4 years and would never consider changing it. It's all I need and want.

Oh and I race mine as do a couple of others on here :mand: Loads of fun!