PDA

View Full Version : E - Bay

stuartg
28-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Having read the posts on the crank breather thread I thought I would start a new thread regarding e-bay users and what they will pay rather than hijack.

Last year our local Sportsworld store was having a huge sale. I assumed it was a closing down sale as the stuff was so cheap (up to 70% off). I asked one of the sales people if they were closing down and he said no, they were always having "mega sales" at all there stores nationwide.

So being a sporty family :D .............ish we bought a badmintom racquet (pour moi), tennis raquet (for my daughter), some footie boots (for my daughter), 2 hockey sticks (for my daughters, honest), a skate board and some roller blades.

After getting home I got to thinkin. What if I could sell some stuff on e bay. I could sell it first then go to the store and buy it to sell on. A little risky I know, but hey.

So I put the tennis raquet, badminton raquet, skate board and roller blades on e bay, advertised as brand new with the starting bid at what I paid. I think I even added a little onto that to cover the fee's.

The badminton raquet and the roller blades didnt sell. The tennis raquet from memory cost £17 sold for £28, the skate board was £10 and sold for £18.

Subsequently I went to the store and purchased the items and posted them on to the buyers who gave me excellent feedback etc.

I did this with other items after this initial trial and sold a few more tennis raquets, golf balls, golf gloves and some other bits and pieces I cant even remember.

The hockey sticks were so cheap that at my daughters club I sold about 8 sticks to parents of children at the club for £10 each, they cost £5.

Obviously these people were either to lazy, to busy or just unaware these things could be bought so cheaply.

Some might say why dont I still do it, "this time next year we could be millionaires" and all that. I guess for the same reason as the people who bought the items in the 1st place. To lazy to go to town to buy the stuff, the time, the fuel, the hassle of going to the post office etc. for a modest return, but worth it at the time, and I did find it quite amusing, although my wife thought it a little immoral..

mark cross
28-02-2006, 10:23 AM
if people are happy to pay a price and you dont hold a gun to their head there is no problem.

bignj
28-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I have made a nice bit of pocket money selling my unwanted clutter on ebay. Ebay is the car boot for the I.T. generation.

dazzi-b
28-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I have made a nice bit of pocket money selling my unwanted clutter on ebay. Ebay is the car boot for the I.T. generation.

I have funded some of the MODS on my bike through selling off unwanted stuff on fleabay. I love the place for bargain hunting etc :thumbsup:

Rogerg
28-02-2006, 06:28 PM
sounds like you and Natty Boy should get aquainted!

Gilps
28-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I bought quite a few bits for my last bike, Triumph Sprint RS. I was selective in what I purchased and only bought bits that were badly advertised. There's a knack to finding stuff where sellers just got the ad wrong. Anyway, I fitted all these bits to my bike, did a 1000 miles or so and then traded the bike for the Monster. The dealer wasn't going to give me any more for the bike with the bits fitted so I took them all off and stuck em on ebay. They all sold for more than I paid for them coz I advertised properly. There are some bargains on ebay if you know how and where to look.
If you want to know how to search for the bargain stuff, then my tips are readily avaialble on a CD. Start bidding at £5, no reserve. (£10 shipping).:mand:

w108rna
28-02-2006, 07:14 PM
I did a similar experiment with Ebay and bought a few pair of Timberland Boots to sell on Ebay. Roughly half of what i bought sold, the other half i just returned for full refunds.

Its never gonna make me a millionaire, but it paid for a couple nights in the pub. The only problem is knowing where to get the decent, cheap gear in the first place.

T'was a bit of fun anyway!

bod
28-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Over £3000 in the past 3 years selling used stuff,nothing sold for more than £100 it's amazing to watch people fight over something in the last fews seconds (as is the way now).Fight away they don't have time to shop around and check for prices new in the frenzy:confused:

dazzi-b
28-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I was selective in what I purchased and only bought bits that were badly advertised. There's a knack to finding stuff where sellers just got the ad wrong

Try this site is great for searching for the wrongly spelt stuff that's advertised :mand:

http://www.fatfingers.co.uk/

Kiwi
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
ventured into selling stuff on ebay

it was great, got rid of lots of obsolete stuff that I will never use and got good money for it, interestingly most of it went overseas

on the other hand are rebuilding a bike and have found all the obsolete bits I want that are unobtainable anywhere else

omahead
03-03-2006, 02:32 PM
THE BIKE BITS YOU BUY COULD BE FROM STOLEN BIKES BROKEN UP :confused:

claicerrig
03-03-2006, 10:30 PM

True but if you take the time to reaserch the feed back on sale items and length of time since they joined you get a better idea if they are a scammer or not.

That being said my wife is making good money buying designer carpets in car boots and then selling them on .
And as has been said it get quite intresting watching the last 5 min bidding frenzy plus more than half of them, then go over seas to the colonies which adds to the shipping costs :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kiwi
04-03-2006, 05:43 AM

yes and so could everything that turns up at autojumbles, car boot sales and various internet sites including this site and others like it