PDA

View Full Version : M600 Dark Will not Start!!

Mart D
28-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Hi,
Have an M600 dark, 1999 carb version, has been running fine up until last Friday. however occasionally on one cylinder as opposed to both, tried to start yesteday & no go!

Plugs have been swapped, turns over no problem, battery has plent of juice.

All i am getting is a weak spark at both plugs, really will not even attempt to fire. Any help really appreciated.

Thanks

Mart D

Bristol UK

stef
28-02-2006, 08:50 AM
oily plugs ? weak spark ? thouroughly clean and dry the plugs, then try again.

Mart D
28-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, plugs are brand new, clean & not oily, fuel seems to be getting through, maybe something electrical?

Seems strange that it is not firing on at least one cylinder!

Thanks
Mart D

stuartg
28-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi Mart
A bit of a strange one. I had a similar problem with only firing on one, that was intermittent and it finally became permanent, but only on one cylinder. This fault was due to the pick up coils inside the n/s engine casing being worn out. They are adjustable and work with a clearance gap a little like a spark plug. It is possible that these are wearing out and the gap has become larger therefore resulting in poor spark. These are a fairly common cause of failure and are reasonably easy to fit following the Haynes manual.

**This is only a thought and not necessarily definately the fault**

Mart D
28-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi,
Maybe, seems strange that it has just given up over a weekend, I was thinking maybe damp in elecs. I have a Pantah with CDi pickups & know the huge amount of problems associated with them! thought maybe on the Monster they had become more reliable. Any obvious way of checking for good fuel supply?

This is not my bike & belongs to a colleague, she rides it most days however the firing on one cylinder thing does seem to be getting worst. Unfortunately limited time to investigate problems. I think it maybe a dealer check to resolve quickly.

Many thanks
Mart

stuartg
28-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi,
Maybe, seems strange that it has just given up over a weekend, I was thinking maybe damp in elecs. I have a Pantah with CDi pickups & know the huge amount of problems associated with them! thought maybe on the Monster they had become more reliable. Any obvious way of checking for good fuel supply?

This is not my bike & belongs to a colleague, she rides it most days however the firing on one cylinder thing does seem to be getting worst. Unfortunately limited time to investigate problems. I think it maybe a dealer check to resolve quickly.

Many thanks
Mart

Mart
I agree it does seem a little strange. If one of the pick ups (unlikely to be both) has failed I wouldnt expect a spark at all from one of the plugs. Guess it could be a short.
The only way I can suggest checking your fuel delivery to the carbs is to remove the delivery hose from the carbs (front, lower, centre of), put the hose in a jam jar and crank over to see if fuel reaching carbs.

If not it looks like a trip to your local dealer :(

stef
28-02-2006, 09:54 AM
i found that carbed bike will foul plugs very easily. you dont need much.
a difficult start, damp air, a little carb icing just before you stop the bike, and things get messy on the plug.
you still get a weak spark, but just not enough to fire up. and each time you try the engine, and put more fuel into the cylinder, the worse it gets.
again, i recommend giving the plugs a thourough clean.

Mart D
28-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Stuart,

Thanks for the advice, will keep you posted.

Regards
Mart

rich
28-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi there
Try lifting the tank and then try starting

It may be a slight kink in the pipe ?

Try it

rich

nik_the_brief
28-02-2006, 04:34 PM
If you're replacing plugs may I recommend them new-fangled iridium jobbies.

They're expensive - about £12 apiece but they've certainly improved the cold starting problems mine had and give a nice fat spark. they last longer than the standard ones too.

gary tompkins
28-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Mart,

If the problem is no spark or weak spark, rather than fuel related I would check through the HT system working back from the plugs. A new set of plugs is never a bad idea anyway, as they have been known to break down and it'll give you a spare set in case of fouling.

Also check the condition of the caps & HT leads, and if you suspect damp/salt give them a clean and a light spray of WD40. If the problems worse on one pot then it could be the coil, pickup or igniter for that cylinder. If the sparks AWOL on both then it could be a fault in the 12volt feed (broken wires, loose connections etc..) for the coils & ignition, and there's a couple of relays (usually under the tank) that can give intermittant starting problems.

Should be enough to get you some way to sussing it, but if all else fails a trip to a good Ducati mechanic may be on the cards.

BTW - you mention that the battery has enough juice, but have you actually checked that it's got a full charge? Even a moderately duff battery can rob the plugs of a good spark on a cold, damp motor. An Optimate or similar is a must this time of year, especially if the bike has an alarm or left parked up for long periods.

Mart D
03-03-2006, 03:28 PM
A quick update, bike has been to Riders in Bristol, seems like no fuel getting thro to carbs & hence not firing. Maybe an air lock in vacum fuel tap, or kink in fuel line as suggested earlier. Anyway seems to be running fine now!!!

Many thanks for all the replies, fingers crossed it will be ok.

Mart D