PDA

View Full Version : XR 250 vs XR400

Mr C
25-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Im noticing that the 250's seem to comand a higher price than the 400's. Im gonna have about £1500 to spend, was gonna get a trackday bike but to be quite honest with TD's at £150 a go mid season I doubt it would get much use. So a bit of green lane fun (No not Dogging) would better suit me.
I know some of you on here are knowlagable on Enduro's

crust
27-02-2006, 07:42 PM
The 250's are pricier because they're a more popular bike.

There's also an electric start 250 version, import version. The 250 is a fair bit lower in seat height which makes it easier around town/offroad for girlies (:mand: I'll get some stick for that).

I found the 250 a bit gutless compared to the 400 (I have an xr400), not that the 400 is particularily pokey.

Personally I prefer the 400 because its easier to cover distances on road on it than the 250.

Either bike is very user friendly, requiring minmal maintenance.

:)Crust

NattyBoy
27-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Get a track bike you big girl :chuckle:

Loadsa cheap trackdays about...even in peak season at top tracks if you can blag a last minute job..

Last year there was Lydden at £89..Llandow at £80..Pembrey at £75 etc..

Off roadings too much like hard work for me :grump: :fou: :chuckle:

JMo
27-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Last year there was Lydden at £89..Llandow at £80..Pembrey at £75 etc..

Sure... but then £200 to get to them! x

Off roadings too much like hard work for me :grump: :fou: :chuckle:

That's because you suck x

To add to what Crust says, I think you'll find the asking price of the 250's are sometimes priced higher because they are probably in better condition, being mainly used for laning rather than enduros etc. - most 400 owners will have used them a bit harder I imagine, and hance may bare more scars...

I would disagree and say the 400 is far more popular than the 250, not least because the price difference (when new) is minimal, and they have a lot more grunt and better (fully adjustable) suspension and larger diameter forks...

if you are a total woose you can get an electric start kit for the 400 for around £1000, but as crust says, there are a few grey import 250s that are already fitted, together with full road electrics and a metal tank...

If you just want a trail bike, then the 250 is perfectly fine, but as Crusty says the oomph of the 400 makes it a better all rounder and road ride...

xxx