PDA

View Full Version : U.K. Motorbike License

maddness100
21-02-2006, 02:02 PM
so i did not pass my farging test on monday. :fiery: what the ****? apparently i wasn't properly performing my lifesavers: bullshrt. also, i used the wrong lane heading straight through a roundabout: totally true.

so every biker with whom i've spoken has highly recommend i not drive without a license. hello? anyone seen easy rider? you think those guys gave a shrt about a license? in any case, i guess they're right, and i'm not exactly an outlaw... so what are my other options?

where can i more easily persuade an examiner to give me a license, as london may prove a pain in my arse? i am not a bad rider, i've been doing it for a long time, but, unfortunately, as the examiner duly noted, i learned in the u.s.

Bodybag
21-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Leicester. Try Centaur on 08005423050. A lot of the riding is done out in the sticks with some town riding but Leicester isn't too bad to get round so its quite easy. :-)

dazzi-b
21-02-2006, 02:15 PM
i've been doing it for a long time, but, unfortunately, as the examiner duly noted, i learned in the u.s.

Do you think the fact you were riding on the "Right hand" side of the road had anything to do with the fail? :mand: (sorry.....couldn't help that)

Keep at it.....you'll pass soon. Speaking as an ex-driving instructor....Iv'e had pupils fail whom I was almost certain they would pass and those whom I had taken for test for other instructors who I doubted thier ability had sailed through :confused:

Keep your chin up and get another test booked:)

Pugi
21-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Leaving the stress of London might do the trick. Other than that...just keep working hard, it is worth it!

For what it's worth, speaking to others and comparing tests, you could be worse of. Getting a license in Sweden (as I did) is harder and way more costly. Too bad it doesn't guarantee me being a better rider. :worried:

maddness100
21-02-2006, 02:36 PM
thanks for the words of encouragement. i do, actually, want to book another test soon and *definitely* somewere out in the sticks. the drive out there will be the most fun part but i'll have to figure out a way to wipe the smile off my face before i see the examiner. :p

has anyone actually done the test on a MONSTER, rather than some bike school's cb500 loaner? do you think it can be done easily? will the examiner care? i feel much more comfy on my own bike than i did on the school's bike yesterday. think i could concentrate better through the roundabouts but not sure about the U-turn with the steering lock....

Pugi
21-02-2006, 02:39 PM
has anyone actually done the test on a MONSTER, rather than some bike school's cb500 loaner? do you think it can be done easily? will the examiner care? i feel much more comfy on my own bike than i did on the school's bike yesterday. think i could concentrate better through the roundabouts but not sure about the U-turn with the steering lock....

Wouldn't recommend it because of said steering lock. But hey...I have an idea: Why not leave our bike until you've passed the test and only practise on one bike, the one you take the test on. It's important to feel at home and confident with the bike you take the test on. This will certainly help you pass.

maddness100
21-02-2006, 02:48 PM
thanks for the suggestion maybe i will just suck it up and pay some shop another 50 quid to let me do it on their bike. but just in case, i think i will practice U-turns on my baby tonight and see what she can do for me.

although i know in my brain that it would be smarter, i just can't "leave her" until i pass the test. if i go a day without riding her it me feel very nervous and antsy and i can't concentrate on anything else. plus, she *totally* wants it! :banana:

tommo
21-02-2006, 04:05 PM
speak to trevor at ridesure and i'm sure he can help you, his site is on a disused airfield near guildford so there is plenty of room for practice and the route's the test centre use aren't bad plus he preety much knows them all.
you use a kwaka er5 (which i was impressed with) he took me on a ride before my test and then the examiner took me on the same route and hey presto i had passed with 1 minor only.
tel;01403 711122/ 01483 278236/ 0781 0640135
or
www.ridesuretraining.co.uk:wallace:
hope it comes together for the summer & good luck.

dean
21-02-2006, 04:13 PM
thanks for the suggestion maybe i will just suck it up and pay some shop another 50 quid to let me do it on their bike. but just in case, i think i will practice U-turns on my baby tonight and see what she can do for me.

although i know in my brain that it would be smarter, i just can't "leave her" until i pass the test. if i go a day without riding her it me feel very nervous and antsy and i can't concentrate on anything else. plus, she *totally* wants it! :banana:

i am concerned that you might be harboring unatural thoughts towards your bike.

I know how you feel, i often become highly preoccupied when i think about riding, but remember, pass your test , then you can do whatever you want and nobody will care.

thats right, isnt it?

ah,whatever, go for it.

Gilps
21-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I know it can be quite disheartening. I had to watch my step-daughter take her car test 10 times before she nailed it. She got there in the end. Then wrote off her first car 6 months later, and crashed the next one 3 times. The up-side is you only have to pass it once then you can ride as crap as you like.:woot: Just keep at it.

rebel
21-02-2006, 06:34 PM
Don't give up, I also failed my test on my life savers, which pissed me off and I wanted to give up, but with the support of my family and frineds I passed two weeks later that January 2005.:thumbsup:

I had a 125cc and now I have a Ducati 750 Monster and its awesome.......:fiery: you can do it good luck.:ukm:

Pugi
21-02-2006, 06:59 PM
I also failed my test on my life savers

??Life savers??

gary tompkins
21-02-2006, 07:06 PM
??Life savers??

Final rear observations just before making a turn. Not a full look behind - but more of a glance to check your mirrors blind spot. Mirror - signal - lifesaver - turn

I new all those Sundays spent as a BMF instructor would come in handy one day ;)

Tigerlily
22-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Matt and welcome to the club :)

Stick with it, it'll be worth it when you do pass!

As hard as it is, you might be better off keeping to same bike that you're going to use for your test, it's only for a short time and think of all the years you'll have of riding your monster once you've got the test out of the way :mand:

Good luck for next time!

Monkey Boy
22-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Hi Matt,

Took my test on a 100cc Suzuki borrowed from the Council (seemed not to have a neutral at all so had to hold in the clutch level when the instructor wanted me to stop :chuckle:

I hated that bike - especially after being used to a Honda NS125F (this is back in 1990, folks!) - didn't have any proper training either but I wanted to pass so much so I could ride the 250cc bike I already had waiting for me in the garage.....

I know it is frustrating but you will get there in the end. Monster delights await you - in plentiful supply :thumbsup:

amphius
04-03-2006, 07:10 AM
hang on in there..... just a minor hiccup....

tamtbam@hotmail
04-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Had the same prob when i came back from Kuwait. Lots of bad habits. Had to sit me cbt again, then pass the theory test and doin my test on the 4th april. Had a few lessons with the instructor and got it right at last and i've been ridin bikes for 15yrs but not the right way to pass a test. Keep at it. You'll get there.Tam.:banghead:

Lady-Bob
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Those who don't pass 1st time are usually better riders than those that do... mainly 'cos they respect their license a little more and aren't c@cky mummies boys who are gonna wrap their bike round the first lampost they find in an effort to show off!

Rant over. :banghead: ... stick with it. Sidcup in South East London's not too bad. But they are hot on observations and making progress.

Quite rightly, they won't pass you if your dangerous!

Lost Again
06-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Those who don't pass 1st time are usually better riders than those that do... mainly 'cos they respect their license a little more and aren't c@cky mummies boys who are gonna wrap their bike round the first lampost they find in an effort to show off!

Rant over. :banghead: ... stick with it. Sidcup in South East London's not too bad. But they are hot on observations and making progress.

Quite rightly, they won't pass you if your dangerous!

I passed my bike test after 3 lessons with 1 minor and my car test after 2 lessons with 2 minors. I've not hit a lampost yet. I'm not particularly ****y either and I certainly wouldn't say I'm a mummys boy.

Sorry for not fitting the stereotype, I'll try harder to hoist a huge wheelie past a group of lasses next time I see a lampost

ricky
06-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Before i done my test i was told to just keep doing your lifesavers before you turn, dont mess up your u turn and dont go fast!! Worked for me!! Or maybe it was the fact that it was freezing cold, snowing and the instructor was in a car listening to music (i heard it through the ear piece!) more pissed of than me!!:confused:

kaysee
06-03-2006, 07:59 PM
so every biker with whom i've spoken has highly recommend i not drive without a license. .

Very sensible, if you get caught without a licence you will have plenty of time to study the highway code, before you get another one. Only a complete tw@t would consider such an option.

gary tompkins
06-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Very sensible, if you get caught without a licence you will have plenty of time to study the highway code, before you get another one. Only a complete tw@t would consider such an option.

Sadly I think there are plenty out there that do for one stupid reason or another :fou: