PDA

View Full Version : Nichols Flywheel

eonan
18-02-2006, 08:52 AM
As much of my riding during the week is commuting and town riding, I'm willing to consider anything I can do to improve performance/responsiveness at low speeds.

So...next up I was looking at a light weight flywheel - specifically a Nichols. I had asked the service centre manager about this ages ago, he said that you would hardly notice any difference at all.

So now lets ask people who might actually know whether it would or not.

Would it, huh, would it?

klause
18-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Do the gearing first? Go down on the front or up on the rear sprockets.

Trent
18-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Hmmm... I doubt the flywheel will increase performance around town...

We had a ZXR400 race bike a few years ago. We removed the flywheel completely.
It made the engine rev quicker / higher, thus increasing top end power and speed, BUT it was a real nightmare to get it off the start line without stalling!

Without the flywheel, there was very little momentum in the crankshaft, so if you were not 100% on the ball when dumping the clutch, the engine died just quickly as if you'd hit the kill switch.

As a race bike it was OK, but you had to keep it high up in the revs. Again, because there was no momentum in the crankshaft, it had less pick up, so you had to use the gearbox more.

In conclusion... Great for a race bike, probably a bad idea for around town...
As Klause said, you're better off changing the gearing. (It's easier and cheaper!) :thumbsup:

eonan
18-02-2006, 10:47 AM
In conclusion... Great for a race bike, probably a bad idea for around town...
As Klause said, you're better off changing the gearing. (It's easier and cheaper!) :thumbsup:

Yep, there's a 14 tooth front sprocket on there. Well what do you know, Mr Service man was right :shocked:

Cheers guys.

stuartg
18-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Yep, there's a 14 tooth front sprocket on there. Well what do you know, Mr Service man was right :shocked:

Cheers guys.

Keihin carbs would be a far more practical improvement and more noticeable and adds genuine power.

eonan
18-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Keihin carbs would be a far more practical improvement and more noticeable and adds genuine power.

They're winging they're way to me as we speak :pedro:

stuartg
18-02-2006, 06:19 PM
They're winging they're way to me as we speak :pedro:

I would forget the flywheel at the min until you've fitted the carbs as I think you will be impressed at the difference the carbs alone make

eonan
18-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I would forget the flywheel at the min until you've fitted the carbs as I think you will be impressed at the difference the carbs alone make

I hope so. We went on a pretty long ride out today and she was playing up something rotten...popping, backfiring, stalling at the lights...

Still, I wouldn't swap her for the world...she even looks gorgeous covered in mud!

Zimbo
18-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Have a look here

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=15534

eonan
19-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Have a look here

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=15534

Sorry Zimbo, my feeble search missed this. What a brilliant review thanks. Its great to read such an honest, informed, objective discussion.

Did you ever get round to upgrading the pistons?

Zimbo
19-02-2006, 08:44 AM
No i haven't as my dyno runs reveal that it's unlikely to be standard anyway. It's making more power than it should, and so may have either hi comp pistons already installed or possibly be 944cc. I'm gonna leave it alone for now anyway!

eonan
19-02-2006, 09:23 AM
No i haven't as my dyno runs reveal that it's unlikely to be standard anyway. It's making more power than it should, and so may have either hi comp pistons already installed or possibly be 944cc. I'm gonna leave it alone for now anyway!

Instead of starting a new thread maybe I could just ask it here...what exactly is a big bore kit? I'm guessing it adds power, but how? Is it something that can be done to a 750? :hail: