PDA

View Full Version : Swap your Monster for a chopper?

emily's driver
17-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Just want to run this one by you all. As yet it's still a suggestion, but I need to gauge the level of interest here to see whether or not it's viable or not. Would anyone be interested in a flight over Norfolk (yes I know it's flat and smells of poo - as it was once described on here). The deal is that I am trying to purloin one of the company's choppers for an afternoon, to take a bunch of willing souls for some aerial tomfoolery. In order to make it work I need at least 30 people to bring the cost down. You would each have a flight lasting 20 mins in three batches of ten people and it would work out at around £40 each. The venue would be Norwich Airport (the gateway to it all no less) and I am aiming to arrange it for mid summer when the weather is at least likely to be kind. I might also see if we can arrange some sort of photo opportunity as well, so you would have a momento of the day.

As I said it's just in it's infancy for now but it would be a chance to experience, for most anyway, something a little out of the ordinary, perhaps followed by a ride out in the Norfolk countryside. So if you are up for a chance to ride in one of the aerial whisks I regularly get to play with (still cant believe they pay me to do it) then please let me know.

Do that well known cut and paste thing and then when 30 people have shouted, I shall ask for a deposit thus securing your place in history on the first chartered UKMOC chopper!!!

A Yerbury
17-02-2006, 05:47 PM
that sounds appealing, any idea when?

A.

Nonnie
17-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Guessing June/July.

I'm not sure I'm going to fly as I think depending on the grrrr factor of those involved, it won't be kept at the gin and tonic level but I can look after helmets/jackets/bikes that sort of thing.

A Yerbury
17-02-2006, 11:26 PM
4 months to get to norfolk, that is doable, just.

steviej
17-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Give us a fig......................
................sorry, a date :flag:

I'd be upforrit.........................................: eyepopping:

dustybin
18-02-2006, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a laugh. Definately interested but obviously depends on the date.

Little Monster
19-02-2006, 10:33 PM
I wanna go in the same trip as Steviej and then I'm going to bounce the chopper to scare him :eek:

Do it over Milton Keynes and I know a man who can double that up with some pretend parachuting.......

steviej
20-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I wanna go in the same trip as Steviej and then I'm going to bounce the chopper to scare him :eek:

Steady on gal.......................:eyepopping:

Bodybag
20-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes please. Wot Chop you got?

Nonnie
06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Ooops sorry forgot to reply to this. But it could do with a bump anyway.

It's a S76, I think they're quite big. I think you can have 10 passengers or something/

Where is tech support? I have faith he'll be along shortly.

emily's driver
06-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes please. Wot Chop you got?

Nonnie is quite right. It's a Sikorsky S76. Ten seats and around 190mph (around 145 knots or as near as makes no difference). It's a pussycat to fly and quite docile a ride unless they let the crew really put the machine through it's paces, which we are generally not allowed to do with passengers on board, (we are limited to certain amounts of bank angle - the so called "gin and tonic level" above which you would doubtless spill your imaginary precious beverage) which is a shame for all you adrenalin junkies out there, since it's a lot of fun when we do. On freight only flights you understand..Ahem.

singletrack
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I may be interested as long as I am not on holiday. When do you think it will be?

Pugi
06-03-2006, 09:27 PM
It's a pussycat to fly and quite docile a ride unless they let the crew really put the machine through it's paces, which we are generally not allowed to do with passengers on board.

We? Are you the pilot? :on:
I might be up for this depending on various factors.

Darry
06-03-2006, 11:29 PM
My Chopper is a Monster!! :mand: and below is a rather nice pic of a Sikorsky S-76

Darry.

http://helimage.foxalpha.com/photos/0303/000291.jpg

Nonnie
07-03-2006, 07:43 AM
We? Are you the pilot? :on:
I might be up for this depending on various factors.
Yes Emilys Driver is the pilot.

As much as I love him, I'm still not going in it. Those things frighten the life out of me. I'd have to be off my trolley on some serious drugs with a broken wrist to ever get in one of them.............again!

But to reassure you all, here he is looking like he is control..

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=9009&d=1141721660

benson
09-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes I will go thirty times...

PLEASE can we go??????

Moley
10-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi Rod,
If this gets off the ground count me in.

Paranoid Dave
11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
naturally I will be up for anything that involves choppers.

emily's driver
11-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Well I am trying to secure a date from the company, but it is all a bit left to chance as I have to rely on the fact that Shell won't want the aircraft inbetween the morning and afternoon flights, when the choppers are normally sat on the apron doing nothing, but I am doing me best. Saying that I think if all else fails we might have to have some sort of contingency plan in place if the worst happened and the aircraft was no longer available. I still need a willing show of hands of at least thirty or so else it becomes prohibitively expensive for each person. I am on the case as we speak. Watch this space. When I know more I should be able to screw the powers that be down to a specific date.

benson
11-03-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll put a thread up on the London forum too - it's such a good opportunity and I'm still reeling from my one hour lesson a couple of years ago - that left me wanting to sell my vital organs to learn how to fly...:hail: :hail: :hail:

Mand
12-03-2006, 07:56 AM
As one half of the International Rescue - I have had my fair share of excitement in a helicopter :chuckle:

However, my other half would be interested in having a go....!